• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Season long College football thread

Haha right is thereff ever right? Clemson better take care of business or UNC is in.

We shall see on the field on Saturday. But just for the record, Clemson has beaten only 5 Power 5 teams with winning records. UNC has beaten 4 teams with a winning record and 1 team with a .500 record. For comparative scores vs NC State, it was UNC 45-34, Clemson 56-41 Wake it was UNC 50-14, Clemson 33-14. Miami it was UNC 59-21, Clemson 58-0.

Also Ohio State only beat two Power 5 teams with winning records and two more with .500 records. Not exactly a sterling SOS for them to hang their hat on.

Last edited:
I'm at
We shall see on the field on Saturday. But just for the record, Clemson has beaten only 5 Power 5 teams with winning records. UNC has beaten 4 teams with a winning record and 1 team with a .500 record. For comparative scores vs NC State, it was UNC 45-34, Clemson 56-14. Wake it was UNC 50-14, Clemson 33-14. Miami it was UNC 59-21, Clemson 58-0.

Also Ohio State only beat two Power 5 teams with winning records and two more with .500 records. Not exactly a sterling SOS for them to hang their hat on.

Clemson beat State 56-41, not 56-14.

UNC is currently ranked 14th in the playoff rankings. Five teams ranked ahead of them lost last week. Another is going to
lose in the B1G championship game this weekend. If UNC does beat Clemson, UNC and OSU will both be one loss teams with UNC owning the additional credentials of having won their conference championship and having beaten the number one team to do it.

If I owned an orange-colored article of clothing (no one looks good in orange), I would wear it Saturday. But the pessimist in me says they UNC beats Clemson and gets in.

UNC is currently ranked 14th in the playoff rankings. Five teams ranked ahead of them lost last week. Another is going to
lose in the B1G championship game this weekend. If UNC does beat Clemson, UNC and OSU will both be one loss teams with UNC owning the additional credentials of having won their conference championship and having beaten the number one team to do it.

If I owned an orange-colored article of clothing (no one looks good in orange), I would wear it Saturday. But the pessimist in me says they UNC beats Clemson and gets in.

Let's not get ahead of ourselves re: orange attire.

201304201366448436140822461.jpg

I hope Clemson wins by 100. I know both fan-bases are insufferable but at least the majority of Clemson assholes live 200 miles from my house!!

I think the reason Ohio St got in over TCU last year was the simple fact that most thought they were one of the 4 best teams and would beat TCU head to head if they played. I don't think many will think that UNC is definitely one of the top 4 teams and that they would beat Ohio St if they played. Plus, Ohio St. is the defending champ. Pretty harsh not getting a chance to defend your title because of one 3 point loss. UNC may be chosen, but those are good arguments for Ohio St. IMO.

Fine, but if they get in, I don't ever want to hear Jeff Long or any sanctimonious committee member talk about the importance of conference championships again. Also, "Plus, Ohio St. is the defending champ.", should have nothing to do with it. Lastly, I don't think Ohio State would have gotten in over a Big 12 team last year if the stupid Big 12 would have immediately said one of them was the conference champ.

I think the reason Ohio St got in over TCU last year was the simple fact that most thought they were one of the 4 best teams and would beat TCU head to head if they played. I don't think many will think that UNC is definitely one of the top 4 teams and that they would beat Ohio St if they played. Plus, Ohio St. is the defending champ. Pretty harsh not getting a chance to defend your title because of one 3 point loss. UNC may be chosen, but those are good arguments for Ohio St. IMO.

They are not

The notion of "title defense" shouldn't even come into play in considering who makes the CFP. Across the board, this year's teams are different from last year's.

Scorching hot takes from Eagledeac. Isn't he the same guy that defended the child molesters at Penn State? Makes his comments about UNC pretty rich.

Was reminded on Mike & Mike this morning that Alabama is one play away from not representing the SEC West in the SECCG. That play being a 4th and 25 that Arkansas converted in OT against Ole Miss with one of those throw it backward, lateral it, and hope for the best type plays. If that ball had hit the ground, Ole Miss would be playing in the SECCG Saturday with a 10-2 record against a Florida team that blew them out the first Saturday in October.

Was reminded on Mike & Mike this morning that Alabama is one play away from not representing the SEC West in the SECCG. That play being a 4th and 25 that Arkansas converted in OT against Ole Miss with one of those throw it backward, lateral it, and hope for the best type plays. If that ball had hit the ground, Ole Miss would be playing in the SECCG Saturday with a 10-2 record against a Florida team that blew them out the first Saturday in October.

Sorry to nitpick, but the ball did hit the ground. It was (correctly) ruled a backward pass--not a fumble--so it could be advanced after hitting the ground.

BC has announced that 3 RB's are transfering out. That's gotta be a huge hit for them.

BC has announced that 3 RB's are transfering out. That's gotta be a huge hit for them.

Wow. Is one of them the freshman they had that looked good against us until he fumbled and they pined him?

Sorry to nitpick, but the ball did hit the ground. It was (correctly) ruled a backward pass--not a fumble--so it could be advanced after hitting the ground.

That is correct according to Steve Shaw, the SEC coordinator of officials, who said they did it all correctly. Rules state a fumble on 4th down cannot be advance by anyone other than the fumbling player. However the play was correctly interpreted by both the on-field officials and the replay crew. The rulebook states that if a player executes a backwards pass, the ball remains in play and anyone can advance it. But if it is a fumble on a backwards pass, only the fumbler can advance it. Here it was a backwards pass that hit the ground that was recovered, so no problem. "it was almost like a rules quiz as we worked down the play" says Shaw.

Back