• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Presumably OFFICAL 2015/16 Premier League - Leicester CHAMPS. Best Sports Story Ever

Arteta's body is finished. He is the walking wounded right now.

Jonny Evans is twice the player that Chambers is and he's like 6th choice CB at MUFC right now. Ivanovic is 4th choice CB at Chelsea. Fazio/Dier are 4th choice at Spurs.

Chambers is fucking awful and all those options are far, far better than he is.

The jury is still out on Chambers imo. He has skill, size and decent athleticism, but until he actually gets a run of games at center back, it's hard to know how good he really is at that spot. He's sort of used as a utility player the way Phil Jones was when he first came to United. It's hard to develop into a consistent premier league center back when you're moved around as often as Jones and Chambers have been.

Chambers and Jones is a solid analogy. Geoff Cameron is the American version of this.

Comparing Chambers in his last season at Southampton and first season at Arsenal to Jones in his last season at Blackburn and first season at United is laughable.

Chambers:
13/14 at Soton -- 18 matches (4 as a sub), 1641 minutes played, 2.0 tackles/game, 1.7 interceptions/game, 3.5 clearances/game, 6.85 avg rating (whoscored.com)
14/15 at Arsenal -- 17 matches (6 as a sub), 1571 minutes played, 2.1 tackles/game, 2.0 interceptions/game, 3.4 clearances/game, 7.00 avg rating (whoscored.com)

Jones:
10/11 at Blackburn -- 24 matches (2 as a sub), 2176 minutes played, 2.9 tackles/game, 2.9 interceptions/game, 4.6 clearances/game, 6.98 avg rating (whoscored.com)
11/12 at Man United -- 25 matches (4 as a sub), 2124 minutes played, 2.3 tackles/game, 1.7 interceptions/game, 4.4 clearances/game, 7.18 avg rating (whoscored.com)

Jones is a headless chicken. Watch him play and he just doesn't have a good "feel", if that makes sense. He's a physical specimen and skilled, but he runs around like a bull in a china shop.

He should be locked in a room with tapes of Rio Ferdinand and Ledley King for 6 months.

Note: I did not say that Jones was a great defender.

But Chambers is a disaster.

Comparing Chambers in his last season at Southampton and first season at Arsenal to Jones in his last season at Blackburn and first season at United is laughable.

Chambers:
13/14 at Soton -- 18 matches (4 as a sub), 1641 minutes played, 2.0 tackles/game, 1.7 interceptions/game, 3.5 clearances/game, 6.85 avg rating (whoscored.com)
14/15 at Arsenal -- 17 matches (6 as a sub), 1571 minutes played, 2.1 tackles/game, 2.0 interceptions/game, 3.4 clearances/game, 7.00 avg rating (whoscored.com)

Jones:
10/11 at Blackburn -- 24 matches (2 as a sub), 2176 minutes played, 2.9 tackles/game, 2.9 interceptions/game, 4.6 clearances/game, 6.98 avg rating (whoscored.com)
11/12 at Man United -- 25 matches (4 as a sub), 2124 minutes played, 2.3 tackles/game, 1.7 interceptions/game, 4.4 clearances/game, 7.18 avg rating (whoscored.com)

My point is not that Chambers is as good as Jones as the same point, but rather that they've both had their development slowed by being played out of position. You can correct me if I'm wrong but LVG appears to have settled on using Jones almost exclusively as a center back. That's a good step forward for him imo.

Presumably OFFICAL 2015/16 Premier League Thread (NWT)

Jones has only digressed since DV7 conveniently picked those statistics, so I wouldn't be too worried about Chambers. Yet.

Jones has only digressed since DV7 conveniently picked those statistics, so I wouldn't be too worried about Chambers. Yet.

This post brought to us by: #BraskyHotTakes

Brasky Hot Takes: Because knowing what you are talking about is overrated.

SeasonTeamTournamentAppsMinsTacklesInterFoulsOffsidesClearDrbBlocksOwnGRating
2014/2015Manchester Un..EPL2218792.43.21.20.57.50.60.3-7.51
2013/2014Manchester Un..EPL2621742.321.20.35.80.70.5-7.26
2012/2013Manchester Un..EPL13(4)12061.61.90.80.23.50.40.5-6.81
2011/2012Manchester Un..EPL25(4)21242.31.70.7-4.40.50.417.18
2010/2011BlackburnEPL24(2)21762.92.910.14.60.70.6-6.98
2009/2010BlackburnEPL7(2)6622.41.90.60.410.10.60.4-7.24
Total / Average147115092.32.20.90.25.50.60.527.18

the totals won't add up perfectly because I deleted the rows including England and the ICL matches, which were just friendlies, so didn't matter.

The thing with Jones is that his statistics will always be pretty good - he's a strong tackler, he's aggressive and intercepts a lot, wins balls in the air, passes well once he has it, etc. It's the "being smart" part of being a defender where he's just ... ugh. He just rampages around and never seems calm and under control.

It's possibly also just a youth thing. He's still a fucking kid (only 23) at a position that normally matures later than most. Yeah, it would help if he played CB more often ... but it might also just help if he gets older.

My point is not that Chambers is as good as Jones as the same point, but rather that they've both had their development slowed by being played out of position. You can correct me if I'm wrong but LVG appears to have settled on using Jones almost exclusively as a center back. That's a good step forward for him imo.

If Chambers is going to be a CB at Arsenal then he will always be played out of position, IMO. He is a natural right back. He's about as good as Flannagan at RB. Meaning, he shouldn't be on a club contending for the title or even the top 4.

The thing with Jones is that his statistics will always be pretty good - he's a strong tackler, he's aggressive and intercepts a lot, wins balls in the air, passes well once he has it, etc. It's the "being smart" part of being a defender where he's just ... ugh. He just rampages around and never seems calm and under control.

It's possibly also just a youth thing. He's still a fucking kid (only 23) at a position that normally matures later than most. Yeah, it would help if he played CB more often ... but it might also just help if he gets older.

I do think you are right with the "bull in a china shop" line. He does lose his calm and concentration at times which is why I would like to see him partnered with a more cerebral CB alongside him. *cough*Hummels*cough*

Smalling, Rojo, and Evans are not that partner. Blind could be, but he isn't a CB and he will worry the shit out of me back there.

This is my one concern with people hyping CB's so young (and it goes for Carter-Vickers as well, though the #1 compliment with him is how cerebral he is for his age) ... it's a fucking really hard position to play without experience. It's why old guys can last so long there, but young athletes can struggle so much.

I'm not sure Phil Jones is going to be a bust. Just that it might take another 2 or even 3 years before we see what he will turn out to be. 26 is still pretty reasonable for a CB to come into his own ... not everyone is Rio Ferdinand and playing at an elite level by 19. That's an outlier.

per the daily mail... United checked into the team hotel (The Lowry) before the match tomorrow and David de Gea was not there. So he won't even be on the bench it seems. Is he already in Madrid I wonder?

god. dammit.

just realized that my host family's illegal satellite hookup in Haiti doesn't have the sports package and so I can't watch Spurs at OT in the morning.

sometimes I wonder if vad goes back in after he writes out his posts and throws in fuck and fucking in random places. something about your writing style cracks me up

DV7 the rest of us realized how incredibly unreliable and skewed WhoScored/Opta/etc was years ago. Making one bonehead play a game as a defender negates every thing else you've done all match.

Catch up.

god. dammit.

just realized that my host family's illegal satellite hookup in Haiti doesn't have the sports package and so I can't watch Spurs at OT in the morning.

Gonna watch Everton's opener in an ex-pat pub in Chiang Mia (Northern Thailand) tomorrow night, rocking my $4.50 semi-full wanker kit (no socks) I bought in Phnom Penh.

I'm way to excited about this. Toffees Up!

Back