• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2017 Football Recruiting

Navy is in a non-P5 conference, so it doesn't make sense to count them.

They can't even count so of course it makes sense to them.

Scout posted a story on QB Daulton Hyatt (see my short writeup on Hyatt that I posted on the previous page in this thread). He confirmed that Wake leads. Said some very encouraging things like "I fell in love with Wake Forest when I was there". Said that he likes Ole Miss and they would have a chance to join Wake at the top of list if they offer.

Having a QB with multiple P5 offers leaning Wake early in the cycle is a very interesting development.

He looks similar to....well...none of our existing QBs. Or Jamie Newman. Hyatt is a legit 6'4. He's thin. Like 176 pounds thin. But obviously just a high school junior, so you wouldn't think that would be a problem if he has the frame to put on weight. He looks like a pro-style QB, but he has run often and effectively. Most schools will make a number of QB offers in December and January, so the fact that he already has multiple P5 offers is telling.

He camped at Wake, so the staff has seen him throw. They have a reliable 40 time. If the staff liked him enough to offer in the summer before his junior year then count me as #HyattIn.

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/1253550/daulton-hyatt

Not really news, but I met some family that go to the same high school as Hyatt this weekend. They tell me he's got a pretty mediocre to bad high school coach and that their high school just recently made a jump from 5A to 6A, which is one reason they have such a bad record (1-10, getting blown out of most of their games too and never scored more than 14 points in the losses). Mentioned that he really likes Wake a lot.

This thread has been pretty dead since I started it in September. Sorry about that. There haven’t been many articles of interest, and there weren’t as many game day visitors as I expected (at least not that I picked up on). With 2016 recruiting nearly done, I am going to take an updated look at some of the key targets at each position. I am planning three installments: 1) Quarterbacks, 2) Offense (other than QB) and 3) Defense.

Here is a look at the 2017 QB recruits that Wake is most involved with. Ranked in order of estimated likelihood of committing to Wake (based on personal opinion). Keep in mind that QBs commit very early in the recruiting cycle. I think there is a reasonable chance that Wake gets a QB commit in February or March of 2016.

DAULTON HYATT (ARAB, AL)
Measurables: 6’4 /176, 4.83 forty. 31 inch vertical. (May 2015)
Rivals Ranking: #22 Pro-Style QB in the country. 3-star.
QB Hit List Ranking: #27 Pro-Style QB in the country
Offered by Wake On: June 12
Other P5 Offers: Miami, Vanderbilt, West Virginia and Syracuse
Most Recent P5 Offer: Syracuse and West Virginia offered in October
Why I Ranked Him #1: Hyatt named Wake Forest his leader in October. Hyatt said he fell in love with Wake’s campus. There is a 247 crystal ball prediction for Hyatt to Wake Forest.
Notes: Visited Ole Miss and Alabama in October and Vanderbilt in November. October article said that interest from programs like Alabama, Auburn and Ole Miss was increasing. HS team went 1-10 this past season.
HUDL Highlights: http://www.hudl.com/athlete/1253550/daulton-hyatt

TAYLOR POWELL (FAYETTEVILLE, AR)
Measurables: 6’1 / 185. 24 inch vertical. (March 2015)
Rivals Ranking: 3-star
QB Hit List Ranking: #29 Pro-Style QB in the country
Offered by Wake On: December 3
Other P5 Offers: None
Why I Ranked Him #2: Wake Forest is the first and only P5 offer. One of only 2 QB’s offered by Wake Forest since the summer. Since the offer is recent, we can assume that Wake’s current interest level is high.
Notes: Looks like a candidate to be a breakout recruit nationally. Had a big junior year statistically (3,600 passing yards and 49 passing TDs) and led his team to the Class 7A state championship. Highlights are drool-worthy at times. HS team switched from pro-style offense to no-huddle spread last season. Visited Oklahoma State twice, including as recently as November. Visited Pitt, Illinois and West Virginia last summer. He said last month that Notre Dame is trying to get him to visit.
HUDL Highlights: http://www.hudl.com/athlete/1374780/taylor-powell

TODD CENTEIO (WEST PALM BEACH, FL)
Measurables: 5’11 / 193. 33-inch vertical (February 2015)
Rivals Ranking: #14 Dual-Threat QB in the country
QB Hit List Ranking: #26 Pro-Style QB in the country
Offered by Wake On: August 9
Other P5 Offers: Miami (decommitted in May), Nebraska, Indiana and N.C. State
Most Recent P5 Offer: Wake Forest in August.
Why I Ranked Him #3: He visited Wake Forest in July and put Wake in his top 3 in November (along with N.C. State and Indiana). On the other hand, N.C. State has been the presumed leader for a while now – there are two 247 Crystal Ball predictions for N.C. State - and Centeio has made it very clear that he wants to attract “bigger offers”.
Notes: Centeio hasn’t added any new offers since the summer. There are some questions about whether his height is limiting his market value.
HUDL Highlights: http://www.hudl.com/athlete/2985649/todd-centeio

HENDON HOOKER (GREENSBORO, NC)
Measurables: 6’3 / 189 (unofficially)
Rivals Ranking: #18 Dual Threat QB in the country
QB Hit List Ranking: #25 Pro-Style QB in the country
Offered by Wake On: November 3
Other P5 Offers: Syracuse and N.C. State
Most Recent P5 Offer: Wake Forest
Why I Ranked Him #4: Recent offer from Wake. I am fairly certain that he has visited Wake multiple times, but I can’t tell how many. The early thinking is that UNC will become the favorite if they offer. Hooker was one of 4 QBs to attend the Fedora Freak Show camp last summer. Brendon Haywood’s parents are Hooker’s godparents. His cousin also played basketball at UNC.
Notes: Had 2,100 yards and 17 TDs passing and 1,100 yards and 15 TDs rushing last season. Hooker visited Wake Forest, N.C. State and UNC this fall and 7 P5 schools last summer. He reported heavy interest from Mississippi State and is planning to visit there unofficially. Plans to major in Health Sciences. Plays AAU basketball for Team Felton.
HUDL Highlights: http://www.hudl.com/athlete/3467641/hendon-alan-hooker

TANNER MORGAN (UNION, KY)
Measurables: 6’0 / 197, 5.23 forty. 25 inch vertical. (May 2015)
QB Hit List Ranking: #68 Pro-Style QB in the country.
Offered by Wake On: April 16
Other P5 Offers: Louisville
Most Recent P5 Offer: Louisville in May
Why I Ranked Him #5: He looked to be very high on Wake last spring after his offer, but I haven’t seen anything connecting him and Wake recently. If I were to get some evidence that Wake is still actively recruiting him he would move up this list.
Notes: Morgan visited Indiana and Louisville in September, Purdue and Cincinnati in October and Western Kentucky and Michigan State in November. Then Indiana again in December. Morgan was featured in a national media story because he works with a top QB coach remotely using a variety of technologies.
HUDL Highlights: http://www.hudl.com/athlete/3702379/tanner-morgan

SHON MITCHELL (CHESAPEAKE, VA)
Measurables: 5’10.5 / 176 (May 2015)
QB Hit List Ranking: #16 Dual-Threat QB in the country
Offered by Wake On: May 11
Other P5 Offers: Virginia Tech
Why I Ranked Him #6: His recruitment has been very quiet, so I don’t have a sense for Wake’s interest level. He hasn’t received a college offer since May.
Notes: Some concern that his size might impact his market value. Threw for almost 3,000 yards in 2015. Has a career won/loss record of 40-4. Has started for his HS team since the first game of his freshman season. His Virginia Tech offer was received as a freshman from the previous staff. He named Virginia Tech the leader in September. UNC is reportedly involved – no offer yet though. His father played at Nebraska, and they might be involved as well. Is interested in majoring in business or engineering.
HUDL Highlights: http://www.hudl.com/athlete/2856935/shon-mitchell

MYLES BRENNAN (BAY SAINT LOUIS, MS)
Measurables: 6’3 / 172, 5.08 forty. 24-inch vertical. (March 2015)
QB Hit List Ranking: #20 pro-style QB in the country
Offered by Wake On: December 9
Other P5 Offers: Cal, Kentucky and West Virginia
Most Recent P5 Offer: Wake Forest, but West Virginia (October) was also recent
Notes: May be one of the most prolific passers in high school football history. Needs 28 passing TDs next season to become #10 all-time according to records kept by the National Federation of State High School Associations. Posted an incredible 5,248 yards and 53 TDs passing in his junior season. Those numbers are actually DOWN from his sophomore year. He reduced his INTs from 14 as a sophomore to 8 as a junior. Already one 247 Crystal Ball prediction for Cal. Visited Mississippi State in November.
HUDL Highlights: http://www.hudl.com/athlete/2564882/myles-brennan

OTHER NOTES:

One guy without an offer from Wake to keep an eye on is Henry Columbi (Fort Lauderdale, FL). He camped at Wake in June and might be ascending on the recruiting scene. Rivals reported that a recent growth spurt has him up to 6’4. He won a recent camp competition that included Todd Centeio, and recently moved up to the #24 Pro-Style QB in the country on QB Hit list. Right now Temple is Columbi’s only scholarship offer.

Last edited:
Greta work, as usual 94.
Merry Christmas.

Much appreciated, and happy holidays to everyone who reads these threads!

I've added another QB to my earlier post. Wake reportedly offered the insanely prolific Myles Brennan (Bay Saint Louis, MS) two weeks ago. The offer didn't get a lot of play on Twitter so the recruiting websites haven't picked it up yet, but this offer looks completely legit to me. He told Scout in early December that a Wake coach was coming to watch him throw, and looks like he was offered after that. He's another guy that I am excited about (and he's 6'3!!!).

You might be wondering why Wake is pursuing so many targets in SEC territory. The answer is that it looks like a great crop of QBs in the South this year. Also consider that Alabama, Florida, Auburn, Kentucky, Texas A&M and Mississippi State have all taken QB commits already for 2017. While spots at schools like Georgia, LSU, Tennessee, Arkansas and Ole Miss remain open, there are 4-star QBs like Davis Mills (Norcross, GA), Jake Bentley (Opelika, AL), and Bailey Hockman (Powder Springs, GA) that remain uncommitted. So it will be very difficult for any QBs ranked in that next tier to get a spot at an SEC school.

I spent some time last night watching the highlights of the two most recent QB offers - Taylor Powell and Myles Brennan. I have to say that I liked Powell's a little better, although I'd be excited to have either. Both look like they have great arms.

It was interesting that Brennan's highlight packages are definitely intended to show that he has some elusiveness in the pocket. I imagine that's important for a guy that doesn't run a sub-5.00 40. Admittedly, the clips do show some nice moves to sidestep pressure. I'm hoping that's what we get from Kyle Kearns once he starts to see action.

My scholarship count shows 9 current openings for the 2017 class. However, that number increases to 16 when you factor in a number of redshirt juniors that you would expect to graduate after 4 academic years. Some of those scholarships will be taken by additional 2016 commits, but there will be additinoal attrition as well. Factoring all that in, you would expect that the 2017 class will be roughly the same size as the 2016 class. Probably 19-20 commits (maybe more if there are grayshirts).

I've been anxious about the 2017 class because Clawson and staff will have to recruit it coming off consecutive 3-win seasons. However it feels like this class is even further ahead than 2016. For example, Christian Beal is already committed and a high-end QB has named Wake as his leader. In addition to that, I'm realizing that the indoor practice facility will be open in time for Junior Day (including the new temporary weight room). I think that having that facility available for basically the entire recruiting cycle will have a really significant impact. You can double that if Wake is able to announce that they are breaking ground on the SPC.

DAULTON HYATT (ARAB, AL)
Measurables: 6’4 /176, 4.83 forty. 31 inch vertical. (May 2015)
Rivals Ranking: #22 Pro-Style QB in the country. 3-star.
QB Hit List Ranking: #27 Pro-Style QB in the country
Offered by Wake On: June 12
Other P5 Offers: Miami, Vanderbilt, West Virginia and Syracuse
Most Recent P5 Offer: Syracuse and West Virginia offered in October
Why I Ranked Him #1: Hyatt named Wake Forest his leader in October. Hyatt said he fell in love with Wake’s campus. There is a 247 crystal ball prediction for Hyatt to Wake Forest.
Notes: Visited Ole Miss and Alabama in October and Vanderbilt in November. October article said that interest from programs like Alabama, Auburn and Ole Miss was increasing. HS team went 1-10 this past season.
HUDL Highlights: http://www.hudl.com/athlete/1253550/daulton-hyatt

I don't follow high-school football (or football recruiting) very closely, but is it a concern that Hyatt was unable to lead his team to more than 1 victory last season? Even if the rest of the team is garbage, you would think if he had true P5 potential then he would at least be able to find 3-4 wins, especially at QB.

Granted this would be a 2018 recruit - but is there anything more to the rumor that the soph QB at Bartram Trail committed to Wake or was leaning toward committing or whatever the rumor a few months ago was?

I don't follow high-school football (or football recruiting) very closely, but is it a concern that Hyatt was unable to lead his team to more than 1 victory last season? Even if the rest of the team is garbage, you would think if he had true P5 potential then he would at least be able to find 3-4 wins, especially at QB.

See post #107 above that talks about bad coaching and moving up in HS classification.

HENDON HOOKER (GREENSBORO, NC)
Measurables: 6’3 / 189 (unofficially)
Rivals Ranking: #18 Dual Threat QB in the country
QB Hit List Ranking: #25 Pro-Style QB in the country
Offered by Wake On: November 3
Other P5 Offers: Syracuse and N.C. State
Why I Ranked Him #4: Recent offer from Wake. I am fairly certain that he has visited Wake multiple times, but I can’t tell how many. The early thinking is that UNC will become the favorite if they offer. Hooker was one of 4 QBs to attend the Fedora Freak Show camp last summer. Brendon Haywood’s parents are Hooker’s godparents. His cousin also played basketball at UNC.
Notes: Had 2,100 yards and 17 TDs passing and 1,100 yards and 15 TDs rushing last season. Hooker visited Wake Forest, N.C. State and UNC this fall and 7 P5 schools last summer. He reported heavy interest from Mississippi State and is planning to visit there unofficially. Plans to major in Health Sciences. Plays AAU basketball for Team Felton.
HUDL Highlights: http://www.hudl.com/athlete/3467641/hendon-alan-hooker

I saw his dad Alan play at Eastern Randolph H.S. back in the '80's. IIRC he was a D1-level talent but for various reasons ended up at NC A&T where he's fairly prominent in their record books.

THERE ARE NOT MANY DREW BREES...WE HAVE ENOUGH SO CALLED SIX FOOTERS...THOUGH I LIKE THE 2 WE HAVE...

Back