• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2017 Football Recruiting

We used to do pretty well on the Florida kids Miami, FSU and UofF didn't want. But Georgia is pretty rich territory too, and I don't think we've ever done anything there before Claw came along.

Wow. Favorite over in-state Georgia, Tennessee, Alabama, and UNC. Not bad, not bad at all.

Lots of talent in GA, plus the high schools have 3 weeks of spring practice, so many players have significantly more experience than states without spring ball.
Over 4 years of HS, that's equivalent to an additional full season

Riley Swanson, John Tereshinski, Kevin Patterson, Chyl Quarles, and Matt Robinson were all from Georgia too.

Junior Day is underway today. From a recruiting perspective, my favorite day of the year. The XMas morning of the recruiting cycle. I will post some lists and try to provide some perspective over the course of the day.

Junior Day is underway today. From a recruiting perspective, my favorite day of the year. The XMas morning of the recruiting cycle. I will post some lists and try to provide some perspective over the course of the day.

Awesome. Looking forward to the info.

Haha. That's awesome. 94 for Poster of the Year?

I’ll start with the headliners that I’ve confirmed on Twitter: QB Taylor Powell (Fayetteville, AR), DE Jordan Williams (Virginia Beach, VA), DE Mike Allen (Buford, GA) and CB Yusuf Corker (Stockbridge, GA). Williams and Allen have both visited Wake before and both have massive offer sheets.

Players with offers that are already on my Board (see write-ups in the OP) that I’ve been able to confirm so far: CB Trey Creamer (Cartersville, GA), DL Cortez Alston (Atlanta, GA), S Michael Carter II (Douglasville, GA), LB Tre Allen (Stockbridge, GA), LB Tyler Taylor (Buford, GA), OL Dmitri Emmanuel (Waxhaw, NC) and S Zay Brown (Athens, GA).

So far it looks like the Georgia kids have really come out. That was a question of mine coming into today.

JUNIOR DAY

A quick primer/refresher on what’s happening on campus today. The football staff is hosting over 60 recruits from the 2017 and 2018 classes today. This is the first of two Junior Days. This is the “Elite” invite-only Junior Day. A second Junior Day will follow at a later date.

To give you an idea of the significance of the day, just look back at last year’s Elite Junior Day which included Jamie Newman, Taleni Suhren, Zander Zimmer, Traveon Redd, Je’Vionte Nash, Cade Carney and Jeremiah Brown. That’s one third of the class, and there may be a few that I’m forgetting. That doesn’t include Greg Dortch or Tyler Watson who both attended Wake’s second Junior Day last year. A very sizeable majority of Wake’s commits either attend Junior Day or earn their scholarship offer in the summer camps (there are some exceptions though, like Malik Grate, LaRonde Liverpool and Emmanuel Walker who were all offered later in the spring last year).

The whole event lasts roughly five hours. Much of that time is exactly what you would expect for first time visitors: a meal, a campus tour, Q&A/panel type discussions with current players and some smaller meetings with coaches. I believe the staff plans some more fun/unique activities as well. But it is shorter than you would think. Most other schools attach their Junior Days to basketball games to provide more incentive for recruits to make the trip. Duke and UNC are masters of this. Fortunately, Wake’s Junior Day doesn’t include a basketball game. Since the visit is short, ideally you want the bigger targets to come back soon for a more personal visit.

One big change this year is that the tour will obviously include the indoor facility. That's huge. In past years the tour went from Deacon Tower straight to the Quad and business school. No weight room tour for the recruits or much else in the way of athletic facilities.

One thing I’ll be watching closely is who gets offered during the visit or shortly thereafter. Last year, there were a handful of recruits offered on Junior Day that didn’t look that impressive at the time but became some of Wake fans most coveted recruits after they were bombarded by offers in the weeks following Junior Day. Last year’s Junior Day offers included Zander Zimmer, Traveon Redd, eventual Duke-commit Xander Gagnon and eventual Clemson-commit Tremayne Anchrum.

Last edited:
Back