• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2017 Football Recruiting

Simpson looks like another sleeper type. Very few coaches following him on Twitter. I can't find a 247 or Rivals profile.

Last edited:
So are we done at LB? ;)

Will be interesting to see how this affects Tre' Allen. He's one that looks totally sold on WF, but now there might not be a spot for him

He clearly has a plan for recruiting and program building. Not sure if it will work given his less than inspiring plan on the field.

Little too harsh for my taste. Clawson is a winner and has made excellent progress in 2 short years. The cupboard was so bare when he joined that Moses and JC could not have led us out of the Valley of Death any faster. We should have a workable OL this year (I hope)

Cutcliffe didn't have Duke in a bowl in year 3 and I believe Clawson started with worse talent -- at least on offense -- than Cut did. What we've got to see is tangible progress. Hopefully the wins will come, but I'm not establishing any win threshold for him.

The energy in recruiting Clawson has brought is amazing.

Good article on Jamal Riggins written by a reporter that appears to follow the recruitment of local area players closely (I can tell from his Twitter account). I believe that it sets the record straight on his offer list: South Carolina, Western Michigan and Idaho. It also mentions that he was being recruited by Clemson, which seems consistent with what I dug up yesterday. I think he was being recruited by Miami as well. http://www.tcpalm.com/sports/high-school/football/sebastian-river-lb-riggins-commits-to-wake-forest-2c3ae34c-d0db-4fd2-e053-0100007f1bb2-369552741.html

The article doesn't mention that Riggins has also competed in track (100m, 200m and 400m). That's a nice fact for a 6'3 / 210 linebacker.

Recruiting is the bread and butter of any good program. Grobe started sitting on his ass; playing golf too much; and allowing his Steed to try and reel in big fish. Man retired 4 years before he actually left.

Good article on Jamal Riggins written by a reporter that appears to follow the recruitment of local area players closely (I can tell from his Twitter account). I believe that it sets the record straight on his offer list: South Carolina, Western Michigan and Idaho. It also mentions that he was being recruited by Clemson, which seems consistent with what I dug up yesterday. I think he was being recruited by Miami as well. http://www.tcpalm.com/sports/high-school/football/sebastian-river-lb-riggins-commits-to-wake-forest-2c3ae34c-d0db-4fd2-e053-0100007f1bb2-369552741.html

The article doesn't mention that Riggins has also competed in track (100m, 200m and 400m). That's a nice fact for a 6'3 / 210 linebacker.

Hudl had him with a 4.43 40. Pretty impressive if true.
Given that he is also a sprinter on the track team, I'm sure he's fast. Could likely play several positions.

Riggins will be a guy we worry about holding on to come signing day.

I agree. To be successful in recruiting I think you need to understand what it takes to successful, have the right level of motivation and be a good at selling. I can't speak to the last one - you'd have to ask a recruit how effective the staff are as salespeople. However every time I've had the opportunity to speak with a coach about recruiting I've come away convinced that they understand it very well (most especially Clawson), spend a lot of time thinking about it, and are highly motivated to do well.

I've also noted how they make changes from one cycle to another (and sometimes mid-cycle). Some could look at that and say they don't know what they are doing. I would say they are doing exactly what they should be doing - analyzing info about what works and doesn't work and making adjustments to drive improvements. They know exactly what they are doing.

Here's an example. I think it's public info from one of Clawson's radio shows. If I remember correctly, the staff debriefed every player on the team about what other programs they considered and why they chose Wake. Now they use that information in making decisions about who to target and when to pull the plug on a recruitment. Just info that goes into the mix. It helps them decide how to use their resources more effectively. Makes a lot of sense.

Riggins will be a guy we worry about holding on to come signing day.

I agree. Even though 247 went overboard on his offer sheet I think Riggins will be a sought after player. It will be an interesting test for Wake to keep a player in the fold that is outside of that six-hour radius. Hopefully he still makes it to campus some and gets to know the players and fellow commits. Keep in mind that 2 of the 3 decommits from the 2015 cycle were from outside driving distance (Dior Johnson and Jake Bargas).

On the other hand, if Wake is a fit for Riggins then it may be easier than we expect. Look at Zander Zimmer last year. I think the kid just loved Wake. He didn't budge all last cycle.

One interesting note on Jake Simpson. While I didn't know that he had an offer from Wake, I did have two of his Buford teammates on my list - ATHs Josh Blackwell and Chee Anyanwu. Both were at Junior Day with Simpson, so their recruitments will be interesting to watch. Blackwell has a Duke offer. Wake is Anyanwu's only P5 offer.

Buford, GA is also the town where Lanier HS is located. That's where DE Mike Allen and LB Tyler Taylor (who I really like) attend.

Suddenly Buford, GA has become an important place for Wake football recruiting. Interesting.

One interesting note on Jake Simpson. While I didn't know that he had an offer from Wake, I did have two of his Buford teammates on my list - ATHs Josh Blackwell and Chee Anyanwu. Both were at Junior Day with Simpson, so their recruitments will be interesting to watch. Blackwell has a Duke offer. Wake is Anyanwu's only P5 offer.

Buford, GA is also the town where Lanier HS is located. That's where DE Mike Allen and LB Tyler Taylor (who I really like) attend.

Suddenly Buford, GA has become an important place for Wake football recruiting. Interesting.

Historically, Buford seems to always have a very good team and is ranked highly in GA

Buford lost to Cartersville this year in the state championship game. Entering that game, Buford had won the state title game for their classification something like 7 of the previous 8 or 9 years.

Buford lost to Cartersville this year in the state championship game. Entering that game, Buford had won the state title game for their classification something like 7 of the previous 8 or 9 years.

Lanier was 12-0 before losing in the AAAAA state playoffs. Seems like there's some high quality football being played there.

Back