• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2017 Football Recruiting

DE Mike Allen (Lanier, GA) tweeted his top 5 schools this afternoon: Wake Forest, Alabama, UNC, Georgia and Tennessee. Interestingly, he said that Wake continues to be his leader. Another example of a recruit who has visited multiple times developing a strong connection to the school and coaching staff. How long we stay the leader remains to be seen, but it just emphasizes again the importance of getting these guys on campus multiple times - and why Clawson is focused on the "six-hour radius" approach.

Wow, regardless of outcome, this is impressive work by Clawson & Co.

Buford lost to Cartersville this year in the state championship game. Entering that game, Buford had won the state title game for their classification something like 7 of the previous 8 or 9 years.

His dad, Jess, is the HC at Buford and played at Auburn. His granddad, Howard, had a cup of coffee in the NFL.

Riggins and Simpson both upgraded to 3* recruits on 247 today. Riggins a high 3* at an 87 rating. Simpson rated at 82. Nice article on their commitments on 247 as well

Lawrence said Alabama head coach Nick Saban was under the impression that Alabama had already offered him during the high school season.

“I guess coach Saban, he said he thought he offered me when I came to a game there,” Lawrence said. “That’s why they hadn’t been talking to me as much, but they told me [Thursday] I had an offer. ... He thought he did offer me and he didn’t. So he just wanted me to call him [Thursday] and he told me.”

kids believe this shit???

A little bit of catching up from last weekend’s Junior Day. Here are 3 recruits that were offered on Saturday. All 3 are now included in the OP. Note that I’m keeping the OP more current than last year (although I need to add Mike Allen and Yusuf Corker). It should be up to date with current offers. Unlike last year, I’m not going to post when I take someone off my board. I’ll just remove them from the OP. This year I'm flagging recruits that have visited Wake in 2016. Eventually I'll invest some time to develop/post some kind of chart.

OT Zach Quinney (Savannah Christian Prep / Savannah, GA)
Rating: 3-star (5.6)
Other P5 Offers: Georgia Tech
Measurables: 6’5 / 239 at Rising Seniors practice in December
Notes: Quinney received his first college offer on February 3. GT was Quinney’s first P5 offer on February 8. Wake offered at Junior Day on February 20. Kentucky and Duke appear to be the other schools involved. Should project as an OT at the college level. Camped at Tennessee last summer. Played in Georgia’s Rising Seniors all-star game. Wants a valuable degree.
Other Visits: Visited Georgia Tech on January 31 (Junior Day) and Kentucky on February 6 (Junior Day).

OT Gabe Houy (Upper St. Claire HS / Pittsburgh, PA)
Rating: 3-star (5.5), #19 overall recruit in Pennsylvania
Other P5 Offers: Louisville (2/17), Maryland (2/10) and Pitt
Notes: Pitt was his first P5 offer last June. Has a strong relationship with the Pitt staff. Grew up a fan of Pitt and West Virginia. Has one Crystal Ball prediction for Pitt. He has trips planned to Penn State, Iowa State and Maryland. Probably an OT at the college level.
Wake Visit: Junior Day

WR Chad Terrell (North Paulding HS / Dallas, GA)

Rating: 3-star (5.6), #63 overall recruit in Georgia
Other P5 Offers: South Carolina, Ole Miss, Georgia Tech, Illinois, Kansas State, and N.C. State
Notes: Terrell caught fire very recently. His first P5 offer was South Carolina on February 13. Since then he has picked up five more in an 11-day period. Georgia Tech is recruiting Terrell as a DB. Recently visited Georgia (no offer). He says that South Carolina, Kansas State and Wake Forest are recruiting him the hardest. Played in Georgia’s Rising Seniors all-star game.
Wake Visit: Junior Day
Other Visits: South Carolina (February 13), N.C. State (February 21)
Hudl Highlights: http://www.hudl.com/athlete/4251301/chad-terrell

Last edited:
Don't think this has been mentioned, but Jake Simpson is the son of Buford Head Coach Jess Simpson. Buford is pretty much the ideal type of program for Wake to develop a bit of a pipeline, so this is certainly promising.

Don't think this has been mentioned, but Jake Simpson is the son of Buford Head Coach Jess Simpson. Buford is pretty much the ideal type of program for Wake to develop a bit of a pipeline, so this is certainly promising.
Thamks 94deac for all the good recruiting info on the Deacs. I live in a Carolina town and news about Wake is scarce. Keep up the good work and know your efforts are appreciated

Thamks 94deac for all the good recruiting info on the Deacs. I live in a Carolina town and news about Wake is scarce. Keep up the good work and know your efforts are appreciated

Thanks for the kind words bob4deacs. Glad to hear you’re following the thread. If I’ve kept you a little more interested in Wake football then I’ve accomplished my goal.

A few updates:

The most interesting development over the weekend was the Wake offer on Friday to ATH/QB Caleb Farley (Maiden HS / Maiden, NC). The offer was interesting for two reasons. First, it adds another in-state recruit to the list and would be Clawson’s first commit from Western North Carolina. Second, it is another offer to a high school QB that I suspect is an ATH offer. In general, I have had more difficulty this year trying to determine what position players have been offered at. This staff almost always offers players at their primary high school position (there are exceptions to that rule of course), but this cycle has been different. I’m wondering if there is a concerted effort to add more overall athleticism with this class. When I first researched the 4-2-5 defense, I remember reading that TCU built their breakthrough defense by recruiting former dual-threat and option QBs to play safety. Maybe the staff is doing something similar this year. Farley is the third high school QB that I suspect Wake has offered as either an ATH (Farley and Kadarius Toney) or a DB (Germane Crowell).

Wake appeared to be Farley’s first college offer, however he went to Virginia Tech the very next day (Saturday) and picked up an offer there. So that adds to the intrigue. His Hudl highlights are here: http://www.hudl.com/athlete/2677318/caleb-farley and they get pretty darn good in the second half when they show him running the ball.

It was disappointing yesterday to see one of my favorite recruits add some serious offers. I like LB Tyler Taylor (Lanier HS / Buford, GA) a lot. He visited Wake for Junior Day and is a high school teammate of top target DE Mike Allen. Going into yesterday, I felt Wake’s biggest competition for Taylor might be Louisville and Oklahoma State. However, yesterday Taylor picked up offers from Alabama, Florida and Michigan State. That’s quite the Sunday trifecta.

I think that Rivals 4-star WR OrTre Smith (Wando HS / Mount Pleasant, SC) made a visit to Wake on Friday. We’ll have to see if Smith develops any serious interest in Wake. His 247 Crystal Balls are currently split between Clemson and South Carolina.

One note for Creamy and his CreamerWatch: Trey was offered by Georgia Southern last week. Wake remains his only P5 offer though.

Thanks for all of the information 94. Most importantly, thanks for the updated CreamerWatch.

Thanks for all of the information 94. Most importantly, thanks for the updated CreamerWatch.

has the date for the Spring Game been announced? Looks like I will be in NC in late March/early April, and would love to catch it.

Back