• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2017 Football Recruiting

Well now the obvious questions start. Did Davis jump in front of Trey Creamer? How about Jamar Richardson and Tre Norwood who both tweeted pictures of their mail from Wake in the last 24 hours? Will Wake go up to 3 cornerbacks?
Do you think any of the corners on your board could end up at receiver or safety?

Coby is the highest rated player on the commit list by 247 so that is great- time can run out on you and Creamy Goodness turns to Curdled Awfulness.

An NR is the highest rated player on our commit list? What am I missing?

Do you think any of the corners on your board could end up at receiver or safety?

No, I think the main guys we've talked about (Jamar Richardson, Zamari Maxwell, Trey Creamer and Tre Norwood) are definitely corners. As a side note, if I were a betting man I would definitely wager that there will be a third corner in this class. So it will be interesting to see how that impacts the remaining spots for other positions.

94 -

Forgive me, as you know/follow this stuff much better than me but why are we so excited about this Davis kid while he's NR by Rivals ?

Good posts already on this topic from SpringChicken and Pilchard. Not much excitement in this thread, but that's understandable because we have next to no information about him. He's not what I would call a "mainstream" recruit that has gone to camps sponsored by Rivals, Scout or 247. We don't know his combine numbers. All we know is that he had 1 other P5 offer, he has good highlights against weak competition, and he is very strong academically. So its hard to have an opinion one way or another. Rivals will probably rank him as a two-star at some point, but one would question what info they would have to form that evaluation. The same film against weak competition?

Based on his tweet Coach Scheier seems excited about him, so that's good.

For those of you who, like me, find the recruiting process interesting may be interested in watching the video at the bottom of this article. It's James Franklin addressing the parents of recruits at the Sound Mind Sound Body camp. He starts off talking about why parents shouldn't pay for recruiting services to help get exposure for their sons. His basic message is that if you are a good player, schools will find you. That then leads to the statement "THE SLEEPER RECRUIT DOES NOT EXIST ANYMORE". I'm not sure that I completely agree, but it's an interesting watch (Franklin starts at 1:08 in the video)

http://footballscoop.com/news/largely-social-media-sleeper-recruit-doesnt-exist-anymore/

First, I'm not worried about whether our new guys are rated or not. At this point in his tenure, Clawson can look more at underdeveloped players who are versatile athletes. The depth chart is set for the next year or two. (though we could use some bodies at DT and C/G). The day will come when we'll put these big corners in the secondary, and the QB will have to determine whether they are 3rd CBs or a 2nd Safety? Is that other player a Rover or backer? If we have two guys in a 3pt stance and 5 guys within 3 yards in a 2pt stance, Who does the OL count as a lineman? This the versatility that Belicheck has. Some day, our opponents might line up looking at 5 players in our secondary at 6'2" 200 lbs. 4 "backers" at 6'3" 240, and two 300 lbs run stuffers over the guards, and won't be able to make the right calls to attack us.

No one wanted Riley Skinner! Last player signed in his class-- worked out OK

For those of you who, like me, find the recruiting process interesting may be interested in watching the video at the bottom of this article. It's James Franklin addressing the parents of recruits at the Sound Mind Sound Body camp. He starts off talking about why parents shouldn't pay for recruiting services to help get exposure for their sons. His basic message is that if you are a good player, schools will find you. That then leads to the statement "THE SLEEPER RECRUIT DOES NOT EXIST ANYMORE". I'm not sure that I completely agree, but it's an interesting watch (Franklin starts at 1:08 in the video)

http://footballscoop.com/news/largely-social-media-sleeper-recruit-doesnt-exist-anymore/

I made this argument before. The Fresh Deacs class was recruited before YouTube. Since the advent of social media, Wake has a harder time getting sleepers. There's a much smaller pool of unknowns and staffs have to work harder than ever before. Satellite camps mean staffs have to work even harder because talent gets even more exposure.

First, I'm not worried about whether our new guys are rated or not. At this point in his tenure, Clawson can look more at underdeveloped players who are versatile athletes. The depth chart is set for the next year or two. (though we could use some bodies at DT and C/G). The day will come when we'll put these big corners in the secondary, and the QB will have to determine whether they are 3rd CBs or a 2nd Safety? Is that other player a Rover or backer? If we have two guys in a 3pt stance and 5 guys within 3 yards in a 2pt stance, Who does the OL count as a lineman? This the versatility that Belicheck has. Some day, our opponents might line up looking at 5 players in our secondary at 6'2" 200 lbs. 4 "backers" at 6'3" 240, and two 300 lbs run stuffers over the guards, and won't be able to make the right calls to attack us.

At this point? We are not at the point of recruiting for depth. We need starters that can win in the acc.

I don't agree that the sleeper recruit doesn't exist anymore. There are still a lot of ways a recruit could be a sleeper; for example, they don't have the measurables (Nikita Whitlock is a a great example, as there was hours of footage online of him playing, including complete games at the high school level. Brandon Chubb is another example.), they switch from another sport late in their high school career, they're from another country, they have a late growth spurt, or they play a low level of competition in high school. In addition, especially in football, freshmen and sophomores aren't recruited heavily, so there are lots of sleepers at that level, especially if a staff is good at predicting development.

I don't agree that the sleeper recruit doesn't exist anymore. There are still a lot of ways a recruit could be a sleeper; for example, they don't have the measurables (Nikita Whitlock is a a great example, as there was hours of footage online of him playing, including complete games at the high school level. Brandon Chubb is another example.), they switch from another sport late in their high school career, they're from another country, they have a late growth spurt, or they play a low level of competition in high school. In addition, especially in football, freshmen and sophomores aren't recruited heavily, so there are lots of sleepers at that level, especially if a staff is good at predicting development.

And we run once again to the end of the long tail. We cannot compete in the ACC based on a hope that our guys are better than the other guys at accumulating exceptions to the rule.

And we run once again to the end of the long tail. We cannot compete in the ACC based on a hope that our guys are better than the other guys at accumulating exceptions to the rule.

I was referring to the statement made by James Franklin that the sleeper recruit doesn't exist anymore. I disagree with that statement, and explained why, but in no way does that mean I think Wake should just target sleepers. I think recruiting is the most important component for attaining success in college sports and Wake should absolutely recruit the best players.

Great article. The quote from Monroe were particularly impressive. Coaches may exaggerate but teammates usually don't glow like that.

Good article Les

Thanks a bunch! I'm looking forward to catching a Davidson Day game or two this season. I've got stuff coming later this weekend on new QB commit Sam Hartman as well as Chase Monroe.

As far as Monroe, I don't give a lot of thought to his recent WVU offer. We talked about it this week, and he readily admits that they would have a lot of ground to make up. I expect him to commit to one of his top thee shortly after the dead period ends in mid-to-late July.

At this point? We are not at the point of recruiting for depth. We need starters that can win in the acc.

We are not going to get anybody to replace the players that Clawson has brought in. The starters for '17 are already on this team. So take a kid who can develop into a winner. The sign and play guys aren't coming to a team with a 1-7 ACC record two years in a row.

Back