• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2017 Football Recruiting

OL

Attention turns back to 2017 recruiting this week. With the team on bye next weekend look for the assistant coaches to head to their respective recruiting areas to work on the 2017 class. I would expect that each coach will be on the road 1-2 days this week. I also expect our coaching staff to attend some high school games on Friday.

94, love your work. I was wondering if you have had a chance to look at our expected 2 deep OL for 2016 and 2017. We will have some experience at tackle with #74 and 75 and I assume Anderson at C. I know we signed the huge under the radar kid from Massachusetts last year, who I assume would be a tackle too. But I am not sure who else we got that are redshirting, or are Freshmen, sophomores, or commits for 2016. Is there hope for the future? Or do we really need to focus on the OL in 2017 since the 2016 class is pretty much filled. Would love your thoughts on what we can expect for the OL in 2016 and 2017.

#74 has been pulled the last two games. #70 took his place last game.

94, love your work. I was wondering if you have had a chance to look at our expected 2 deep OL for 2016 and 2017. We will have some experience at tackle with #74 and 75 and I assume Anderson at C. I know we signed the huge under the radar kid from Massachusetts last year, who I assume would be a tackle too. But I am not sure who else we got that are redshirting, or are Freshmen, sophomores, or commits for 2016. Is there hope for the future? Or do we really need to focus on the OL in 2017 since the 2016 class is pretty much filled. Would love your thoughts on what we can expect for the OL in 2016 and 2017.

Thanks for the kind words.

If our OL is going to be successful in 2016 and 2017 I think Justin Herron, Phil Haynes and Ryan Anderson will have to be a big part of it. More than anything we are struggling with youth and inexperience at the tackle positions. You want older, stronger, more experienced players on the OL. Personally, I don’t think the solution will be inserting players that are younger and less experienced. I think you will see all 3 players make big strides next year. Everything that you hear about Haynes and Herron is overwhelmingly positive. Next year we could have an OL where all five starters are in their third, fourth or fifth year in the program. That will be interesting to see.

Some notes on players that are redshirting:
Jake Benzinger (zero other P5 offers): The word of mouth has been VERY positive about one of Clawson’s most under-the-radar recruits.

Nathan Gilliam (4 other P5 offers): Wake’s most heralded OL recruit in the 2016 class missed all of summer practice with an injury. I haven’t heard anything about how he is faring in practice, but continue to believe his future is very bright. His ideal position is probably right tackle.

TJ Haney (2 other P5 offers): The only news so far is successful he has been in transforming his body to be leaner with more muscle. But that takes a lot of work ethic and desire to improve. So that news is a positive. He has been practicing at guard.

The 2016 class includes a commitment from Taleni Suhren who might be Clawson’s most heralded O-line recruit to date. Suhren might have a chance to play right tackle at Wake. Most of the other programs that recruited him saw him strictly as a guard.

The other 2016 commits (Tyler Watson and Je’Vionte Nash) had one other P5 offer apiece. I don’t see Wake adding any more OLs to the 2016 class.

Wake is projected to have 16 scholarship OLs in 2016. Most programs carry 15 scholarship OLs, so Wake is a little heavy. They will likely have 4 players graduating in 2016: Hayworth, Harris, Gardner and Chambers. If they plan to stay at 16 scholarships in 2017, that means the staff will be looking to add 4 OL commits in the 2017 class.

Just for fun, here is how a depth chart might look for 2016 and 2017:

LT Herron (rSOPH) / Benzinger (rFR)
LG Hayworth (rSR) / Haney (rFR)
C Harris (SR) / Terry (JR)
RG Anderson (rSOPH) / Osterhage (rSOPH)
RT Haynes (rSOPH) / Gilliam (rFR)

LT Herron (rJR) / Benzinger (rSOPH)
LG Haney (rSOPH) or Suhren (rFR)
C Terry (SR) or Nash (rFR)
RG Anderson (rJR) / Osterhage (rJR)
RT Haynes (rJR) or Gilliam (rSOPH)

Last edited:
Would love to see some depth where we can rotate our front line guys out some to keep them fresh.

I doubt there could be more positive word of mouth than what we heard about Haynes last year.

I doubt there could be more positive word of mouth than what we heard about Haynes last year.

I'd be willing to bet that Haynes story will have a very good ending.

It's been on the job training for Haynes and Herron. Their athleticism is unmistakable.

I'd be willing to bet that Haynes story will have a very good ending.

Very possible, but it's a reminder that good word of mouth takes a while to payoff.

DT Sincere David has named Wake as his early leader. See summary in the OP in this thread.

Claims offers from UNC, WVU and Indiana. He said his height/weight right now is 6'3/310.

Coach Ruggiero (his area recruiter) has taken the lead in his recruitment.

DL has been the strongest position in Clawson's recruiting and it shows on the field.

DL has been the strongest position in Clawson's recruiting and it shows on the field.

Very important and not an area we've ever been able to have depth in.

But if Sincere David says we are the leader, I think we have to believe him.

I don't want to be insincere and say I don't believe him.

Great observation, as I never thought Grobe's coaches ever did all that well on DL.

In an ideal world, The Wake O-line would have 3 RS juniors and 2 RS Seniors starting every year, with 3 RS sophs as the primary backups. The every year part, because one of the RS jrs is good enough to graduate to the Sunday league each year. However, that is, really, really dreaming when you are talking Wake o-line.

Dmitri Emmanuel will visit today. #2 OL in NC for the 2017 class. One of the biggest names in the 2017 class to visit this season.

Great observation, as I never thought Grobe's coaches ever did all that well on DL.

He kept putting DL recruits on the O-line to try field a decent OL, good thing Nikita was only 5'10" 250 or he'd probably have ended up there.

Back