• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2017 Football Recruiting

Good timeout by Manning.

Alright, for the most diehard of Wake recruiting followers here is an update to my 2017 Big Board for the defensive side of the ball. I'll put all of this in the OP as well.

For players that were already included my August update I basically left the writeup intact, however I bolded a “January Update” for any info collected over the last 4+ months. It’s been tough to find info. I also tried to highlight new additions to the Board. As a reminder, this list focuses more on who appears to be most likely out of the players that have been offered by the staff – based on offer sheets, articles, interviews and who has visited Wake. 4-star players generally get included only if they mention Wake in interviews. I didn’t spend a lot of time researching 4 star recruits for this update, instead I’ll invest more time after we see who attends Elite Junior Day next month.

One thing that struck me in preparing this update is the attention being paid to Georgia, especially the suburbs northeast of Atlanta. This seems to continue to trend from last year. First ID targets in North Carolina and Virginia. Then cover Georgia. Eventually I think we will see more targets emerge in North Florida, MD/DC, Cincinnati and the NYC suburbs. At least that is how is went last year.

It will be interesting to see how we fare in Georgia with the 2017 class. There appeared to be a lot of time and effort put into the state last year. There was very good attendance at Elite Junior Day, but ultimately Wake was not able to convert any recruits with P5 offers into commits (note: Tyler Watson has picked up 2 P5 offers since his commitment).

DEFENSIVE LINEMEN

Sincere David (Sandalwood HS / Jacksonville, FL)
Rating: Unrated
Other P5 Offers: UNC
Offer Date: June 6 (following camp)
Last Confirmed Visit to Wake: June 6
Notes: Attends the same high school that Kahlil Welsh did.
Twitter ID: @stay_bored
Links: 247 profile / HUDL
January Update: David named Wake Forest his early leader. Received a Crystal Ball prediction for Wake Forest. N.C. State offered in November. He did not make any visits this fall. Told Scout he is currently 6’3/310. Wants to attend college outside of Florida.

Brad Johnson (Pendleton HS / Pendleton, SC)
Rating: 3-star (5.7) on Rivals. 4-star on Scout (#208 player in the country)
Other P5 Offers: none
Offer Date: June 23
Last Confirmed Visit to Wake: Johnson has visited, but it’s not clear when.
Notes: Teammate of 2016-commit Malik Grate at Class 2A Pendleton HS (10 minutes from Clemson, SC). 6’3 and 210 pounds. Will need to continue to add weight to stay at DE. Just turned 16 this month. Highlights are very impressive. Was initially a 4-star on 247, but it looks like they have since backed off that rating. Already one Crystal Ball for Clemson even though they haven’t offered. Very athletic (he has triple jumped over 48 feet).
Twitter ID: @_johnson864
January Update: Offered by Duke on 11/6 after Johnson visited there 10/31. Now rated by Rivals as the #15 weakside defensive end in the country. Scout now lists Johnson as an OLB. Told Scout he is up to 6’3/215.

Other DL Notes:
I removed 4-star DE Jake Lawler (Charlotte, NC) and 3-star DE Michael Allen (Buford, GA) because they are both likely out of reach. I was hopeful about Allen, who may have been a multiple times visitor to Wake, however he has very recently received offers from Alabama, Georgia and Tennessee.

Wake is also courting some 4-star DEs like Tyjuan Garbutt (Fredericksburg, VA / Rivals #190 overall recruit) and Jordan Williams (Virginia Beach, VA / Rivals #11 strongside defensive end). Both visited Wake in the fall. Garbutt is reportedly favoring Michigan State, Penn State, Pitt and West Virginia. Clemson, Penn State and N.C. State appear to be the main competition for Williams.

LINEBACKERS

Ellis Brooks (Benedictine School / Richmond, VA)
Rating: 4-star, Rivals 250
Other P5 Offers: Duke, N.C. State, Maryland, UNC and Virginia Tech
Offer Date: April 15
Last Confirmed Visit to Wake: n/a
Notes: He has had some good things to say about Wake Forest, including his primary recruiter Nick Tabacca. He has taken unofficial visits to Penn State, Duke, Virginia Tech and N.C. State this summer. He was planning on visit Wake, but I can’t tell if it happened. Seems wide open.
Twitter ID: @EllisBrooks35
Links: 247 profile
January Update: Added an offer from Vanderbilt.

Chase Monroe (Davidson Day HS / Davidson, NC)
Rating: 2-star
Other P5 Offers: None
Offer Date: June 8
Last Confirmed Visit to Wake: July 23
Notes: Teammate of 2016-commit Cade Carney. He appears to be very high on Wake. Has also taken unofficial visits to UNC and Virginia Tech this summer.
Twitter ID: @ChaseMonroe58
January Update: 129 tackles in his junior season. Made a game-clinching INT in Davidson Day’s state championship game. Visited Wake Forest, Clemson, Northwestern and Southern Miss in the fall. His father played football at Southern Miss. Remained a 2-star on Rivals, but is now the #35 overall recruit in North Carolina.

Drew Jordan (North Gwinett HS / Suwanee, GA)
Rating: 3-star (5.7), #26 OLB in the country, #41 recruit in Georgia
Other P5 Offers: Boston College, Duke and Nebraska
Offer Date: July 16
Last Confirmed Visit to Wake: n/a
Notes: Camped at Duke this summer. Has not named any favorites yet.
Twitter ID: @End2EndZone
January Update: Visited Duke, Georgia Tech and Clemson this fall. Received a 247 Crystal Ball for Duke.

Jamal Brooks (Bessemer City HS / Bessemer City, AL) **new addition**
Other P5 Offers: Louisville
Notes: Recorded 168 tackles in his junior season. Has a 3.8 GPA. A member of student government. Sixth man on the basketball team. Plays 3B on the baseball team.
Hudl Highlights: http://www.hudl.com/athlete/2749432/jamal-brooks
Twitter ID: @jbroo26

ROVERS

Solon Page III (Kell HS / Marietta, GA)
Rating: 3-star (5.5)
Other P5 Offers: Tennessee
Offer Date: July 18
Last Confirmed Visit to Wake: July 18
Notes: Wake is the only school to offer in 2015. The Tennessee offer is from a camp in 2014. Took unofficial visits this summer at Wake Forest, Auburn, Michigan and Vanderbilt.
Twitter ID: @solonpage
January Update: Visited Auburn in October.

CORNERBACKS

Madison Cone (East Forsyth HS / Kernersville, NC)
Rating: 3-star, #24 recruit in NC
Other P5 Offers: Boston College, Duke, Virginia Tech and Wisconsin
Offer Date: 2014. One of the staff’s first offers for the 2017 class.
Last Confirmed Visit to Wake: July 18 (for underclassman camp)
Notes: Teammate of 2017-commit Christian Beal. Virginia Tech and Duke were reportedly leading Wake, but that was before the Wisconsin offer. Plays basketball for Team CP3.
Twitter ID: @_the_future21
January Update: Now up to 21 career interceptions. Added an offer from Virginia. Received a Crystal Ball prediction for Duke. Lots of unofficial visits: NCSU, UNC, Virginia Tech, Wake Forest (for the Wake-Duke game) and Duke (he was at the Duke-Miami game). In his last interview he mentioned only Wisconsin, Virginia and Duke, but the interviewer asked him specifically about those schools. He declined to name a favorite. He’s in a lot of contact with Tennessee, Georgia, Clemson, UNC and NCSU and is waiting to see if those schools offer. Named All-Area by the Winston-Salem Journal. Plans to study business, so that puts Wake in a great position. Cone measured 5’8.5 at the Nike Combine in May 2015. He’s already got a great offer list for a CB that height (and we are still a year away from signing day). That validates that the kid must be a player.

Dameon Williams (Norcross HS / Norcross, GA) **new addition**
Other P5 Offers: Duke, UNC and Iowa
Notes: Offered by Wake Forest on December 3. Duke was his first offer (November 2). Visited Duke on October 31.
Twitter ID: @Dameon_08

SAFETIES

Ryan Huff (Cedar Shoals HS / Athens, GA) **new addition**
Notes: Rivals reported that Huff was offered by Wake Forest on 8/24. Visited Clemson and Georgia in September, and Vanderbilt in November. Looks to have a strong connection to App State. He has visited there multiple times and named them his early leader.
Hudl Highlights: http://www.hudl.com/athlete/2705616/ryan-huff
Twitter ID: @RyanHuff44

Eugene Brown (Stephenson HS / Stone Mountain, GA) ** new addition **
Other P5 Offers: Kentucky, N.C. State and Illinois
Notes: Offered by Wake on October 17. Physical safety. Nicknamed “Rambo”. Attends the same HS as safety Cameron Glenn.
Hudl Highlights: http://www.hudl.com/athlete/4749618/eugene-brown
Twitter ID: @GloBoy_J

Last edited:
It doesn't sound like we have a very good chance with Madison Cone.

Brad Johnson (Pendleton HS / Pendleton, SC)
Rating: 3-star (5.7) on Rivals. 4-star on Scout (#208 player in the country)
Other P5 Offers: none
Offer Date: June 23
Last Confirmed Visit to Wake: Johnson has visited, but it’s not clear when.
Notes: Teammate of 2016-commit Malik Grate at Class 2A Pendleton HS (10 minutes from Clemson, SC). 6’3 and 210 pounds. Will need to continue to add weight to stay at DE. Just turned 16 this month. Highlights are very impressive. Was initially a 4-star on 247, but it looks like they have since backed off that rating. Already one Crystal Ball for Clemson even though they haven’t offered. Very athletic (he has triple jumped over 48 feet).
Twitter ID: @_johnson864
January Update: Offered by Duke on 11/6 after Johnson visited there 10/31. Now rated by Rivals as the #15 weakside defensive end in the country. Scout now lists Johnson as an OLB. Told Scout he is up to 6’3/215.

If he can triple jump 48 ft at his size, he's an athletic freak. Probably has very good speed too.
And he's only 16??? Wow
I would keep him as an OLB..... and use him to blitz

This is looking out a ways, but former Wake DL Aubrey Hollifield's son Dax will be one of the top recruits in the state of NC for the 2018 class. There's been a lot of buzz about him already. LB. I've read that Dax is a big Deacon fan. The family lives in Shelby.

Anyone know if we are still interested in and have a shot at RB Akeem Byrd out of Ga? GT and Tenn are other P5s that have offered after us.

Anyone know if we are still interested in and have a shot at RB Akeem Byrd out of Ga? GT and Tenn are other P5s that have offered after us.

I believe that ship has sailed.

Also, I believe he is a 2016 recruit, not 2017.

Three QB targets are in San Antonio for the U.S. Army All-America Combine this weekend: Taylor Powell, Myles Brennan and Hendon Hooker. An early test for the 2017 QBs ahead of the Elite 11 Regionals this spring. I'm not sure how much media coverage there will be though.

Here are some additions to my 2017 list. The last full week of the dead period was a big week for 2017 offers. So many that I’ve had trouble keeping up. Overall I’ve added 22 recruits to my list. Below are the first 10 that I’ve had a chance to research. Here are some themes that I noted in this group of 10 recruits:

Seven recruits in this group received their first or second P5 offer from Wake. Last year I would have found it disappointing that Wake was offering recruits with thin offer sheets this early. Now I’ve learned that these recruits will blow up. Last year they almost all did. In the past we’ve rarely gotten traction with recruits when Wake was their 5th or 6th P5 offer. A different story though when we’ve offered earlier. So this year I’m actually excited when Wake gives a recruit their 1st or 2nd P5 offer.

9 of the 10 recruits on this list are from Georgia. All of them are from the Atlanta area (as long as you consider Athens to be Atlanta-area). While the next group that I will post are more geographically diverse, it still looks like Georgia will remain a key focus area for the staff. It makes sense. There is a lot of depth when it comes to talent in Georgia. Note that Duke has more 2016 commits from Georgia than North Carolina (a 6 to 3 margin), while UNC has an equal number (6 from both states).

While only 1 of these recruits has visited Wake, 5 have already visited Duke. Four of these recruits already have Duke offers.

A lot of DBs in this group (6 of the 10). As with last cycle a lot of the early DB offers have gotten to tall corners and safeties.

ADDITIONS

CB Troy Simon (Milton HS / Alpharetta, GA)
Other P5 Offers: Illinois and Maryland
Notes: Offered by Wake on January 6. Physical corner. Reportedly 6’2. Attends same HS as 2016 commit Tyler Watson and one-time 2016 QB target David Moore. Second team 5A all-region as a junior.
Hudl Highlights: http://www.hudl.com/athlete/3017092/troy-simon
Twitter ID: @Troy__Simon

DB/ATH Joshua Blackwell (Buford HS / Buford, GA)
Rating: No Rivals profile
Other P5 Offers: Duke
Notes: Duke was first offer. Visited Duke last fall. Offered by Wake on December 7. HS went to AAAA state championship game. First team all-state as a kick returner. First-team all-region as a defensive back.
Hudl Highlights: http://www.hudl.com/athlete/4658116/josh-blackwell
Twitter ID: @JoshuaBlackwe12

S J.R. Pace (Woodward Academy / College Park, GA)
Rating: 3-star (5.7), #29 ATH in the country
Other P5 Offers: Duke, Purdue, Boston College and Vanderbilt
Measurables: 6’1 / 178 (SPARQ score of 49 in March 2015)
Notes: Offered by Wake Forest on December 17. Visited Auburn, Michigan, Notre Dame, Vanderbilt and Duke this fall.
Hudl Highlights: http://www.hudl.com/athlete/4077267/jr-pace
Twitter ID: @jrpace9

LB Tyler Taylor (Lanier HS / Buford, GA)
Rating: 3-star, #17 inside linebacker in the country
Other P5 Offers: Kentucky
Notes: Wake offered on January 5 as was his second P5 offer after UK. Camped at Louisville, Vanderbilt, Nebraska (satellite) and Wake over the summer. Plays both guard positions on Lanier’s basketball team. Reportedly has a 6’11 wingspan. Eventual switch to DE isn’t out of the question.
Hudl Highlights: http://www.hudl.com/athlete/4619358/tyler-taylor
Twitter ID: @tylertaylor8

DB Michael Carter II (South Paulding HS / Douglasville, GA)
Other P5 Offers: Duke
Measurables: 5’10 / 165 (SPARQ score of 76 in March 2015)
Notes: Wake offered on January 4. Duke was his first P5 offer. He visited Duke in September. Named 5A all-region as a junior.
Hudl Highlights: http://www.hudl.com/athlete/3360672/michael-carter-ii
Twitter ID: @mcarter2nd

WR Josh Johnson (Woodward Academy / College Park, GA)
Other P5 Offers: Boston College.
Notes: First-team all-metro Atlanta by the Atlanta Journal-Constitution. First team all-state by the Georgia Sportswriters. Wake Forest was his first P5 offer on 1/8. Boston College followed on 1/15.
Hudl Highlights: http://www.hudl.com/athlete/3385668/joshua-johnson
Twitter ID: @josh_johnson234

ATH Chee Anyanwu (Buford HS / Buford, GA)
Notes: Offered by Wake on December 7th. Visited Duke in the fall.
Hudl Highlights: http://www.hudl.com/athlete/4002321/chee-anyanwu
Twitter ID: @cheeanyanwu

WR Noah Igbinoghene (Hewitt Trussville / Trussville, AL)
Other P5 Offers: Duke and Iowa State
Notes: Also has a Yale offer. Visited Duke in November and was offered shortly after. High-end track athlete is ranked nationally in the long jump and the triple jump. Also competes in the sprint events. Recently jumped 49 feet in the triple jump. Looking to compete in both sports in college.
Hudl Highlights: http://www.hudl.com/athlete/4106806/noah-igbinoghene
Twitter ID: @Noah_Igbo9

S Zay Brown (Clarke Central HS / Athens, GA)
Notes: Wake offered on January 7. Attends almost every UGA home game.
Hudl Highlights: http://www.hudl.com/athlete/2573451/zay-brown
Twitter ID: @_zaybrown6

CB Trey Creamer (Cartersville HS / Cartersville, GA)
Other P5 Offers: None.
Notes: Wake was his first offer at any level. Listed on some sites as a RB, he told his local newspaper that Wake is recruiting him as a corner. First team all-region as a DB.
Hudl Highlights: http://www.hudl.com/athlete/2807462/trey-creamer
Twitter ID: @Trey_CreamerxD

Last edited:
Almost all of these are N GA boys. Loads of talent around here.
I may try to go watch some of them next fall, especially if they commit.

Seems like we're getting to the party after Duke with a lot of these guys. Are we just waiting for Duke to offer and then jump in after them?

Fishin' in the same waterin' hole.

Some 2017 updates. I’ll start with the QB recruiting news from the U.S. Army Combine.

QB Hendon Hooker (Greensboro, NC) said pre-combine that N.C. State was his leader with West Virginia running second. He then went out and won overall MVP honors at the Combine. Look for him to continue to add offers. Hooker looks like a long shot for Wake, but worth keeping an eye on.

QB Taylor Powell (Fayetteville, AR) picked up an offer from Maryland. Wake Forest had been his only P5 offer. He told a local newspaper that he has plans to visit Wake Forest and has been invited to Oklahoma State’s Junior Day. He is also preparing to compete in Elite 11 this spring/summer. Also note that Powell’s goal is to be pre-med in college, so Wake could stay in the race for him even if he blows up with offers.

QB Myles Brennan (Bay Saint Louis, MS) confirmed that he has Cal as the clear leader early. He is planning trips to Cal in both the spring and the summer. While there he will also visit USC, UCLA and Stanford. So Brennan looks like a long shot for Wake, but things would get interesting if Cal were to fill their slot. Brennan says that UCLA and Wake are the two other schools that are in the most consistent contact – and UCLA hasn’t offered yet (note: it’s still not entirely clear whether Wake has offered Brennan, but I’m going to keep him on the list regardless – I think Wake has offered).

Non-QB news:

ATH Germane Crowell (Winston-Salem, NC) tweeted that he will be visiting Wake unofficially this weekend. If that means he will be there for the first night of the big official visit weekend that would be a strong sign that Crowell is one of the top targets in this class. Crowell has risen in the Rivals rankings to be #13 overall recruit in the state for 2017 and the #37 ATH in the country.

DE Mike Allen (Suwanee, GA) is a recruit that Wake developed a strong relationship with very early in the process. However he has been red-hot lately – getting offers from Alabama, Georgia, UNC and Tennessee. I had crossed him off my list, but that may have been premature. He told an interviewer that his top two are Alabama and Wake Forest. He says that home state Georgia is tied for second right now. How about that?

OLB/DE Drew Jordan (Suwanee, GA) told an interviewer before the Combine that he wants to visit Duke, Wake and Nebraska soon. He was a standout at the combine and made 247’s combine all-star team. I’ve had him on my Board since August.

WR Tye Freeland (Dinwiddie, VA) says that Wake is his early leader. He reports offers from UVA and Wake. He’s also been on my Board since August.

DB Ryan Huff (Athens, GA) committed to App State. I had added him to my Board in the last month, but noted at the time that he seemed to have a strong attraction to App State.

Last edited:
Four star OT dumped by Michigan. He has reopened his recruitment.

These seven additions bring my Board up to date. This round of additions features a 4-star that is showing signs of interest, and two in-state players that are saying that Wake is recruiting them the hardest. Also two more additions from Georgia, including another recruit from the high school that Cameron Glenn graduated from.

DE Jordan Williams (Frank W. Cox HS / Virginia Beach, VA)
Rating: 4-star, #11 strongside DE in the country, #10 overall recruit in Virginia
Other P5 Offers: Clemson, N.C. State, Penn State, Virginia Tech, Maryland, UNC, Pitt and Virginia
Notes: Four-star DE has visited Wake, is close with LaRonde Liverpool, and tweets occasionally about Wake. Wake Forest offered on October 24. Reportedly already 6’5 / 270. Visited Clemson, UNC, Penn State and Wake Forest for game days last fall. Wants to major in Sports Medicine. Recorded 12 tackles for loss, 5 sacks and 7 pass deflections last season.
Hudl Highlights: http://www.hudl.com/athlete/3640713/jordan-williams
Twitter ID: @_blessed_23

OL Dmitri Emmanuel (Marvin Ridge HS / Waxhaw, NC)
Rating: 3-star (5.6), #16 OG in the country, #17 overall recruit in NC
Other P5 Offers: Boston College and UNC
Measurables: Was 6’2 /316 at Nike-Charlotte in May 2015.
Notes: Visited Wake Forest for a game this fall. Had really nice things to say about Wake recently – his parents like Wake, and he has a good relationship with the coaches. Said in October that Wake Forest was recruiting him the hardest. Keeps in touch with Marvin Ridge alum KJ Brent, who has told him a lot about Wake. I expect Emmanuel will stay close to home for college. Wake and UNC are the early favorites to land him.
Hudl Highlights: http://www.hudl.com/athlete/2834237/dmitri-emmanuel
Twitter ID: @DmitriEmmanuel

CB Aapri Washington (Mountain Island Charter / Mount Holly, NC)
Rating: 3-star (5.7), #38 cornerback in the country, #14 overall recruit in North Carolina
Other P5 Offers: Ole Miss, Boston College, Kentucky, Mississippi State, TCU, Syracuse and West Virginia
Notes: Said in January that Wake Forest was recruiting him the hardest. Dominated last year while playing in a small classification. For example, while playing both RB and CB in one game he rushed 16 times for 402 yards and 4 TDs on offense and added 8 tackles and two INTs on defense. Cousin of oft-discussed 2016 RB Robert Washington. Aapri travelled with Robert to a lot of his college visits.
Hudl Highlights: http://www.hudl.com/athlete/3103531/aapri-washington
Twitter ID: @Aapri_8

OL Will Taylor (Grayson HS / Loganville, GA)
Rating: 3-star (5.6), #5 offensive center in the country
Other P5 Offers: Duke, UNC, Illinois, Boston College and Vanderbilt
Notes: Wake Forest offered on January 12 and was his 6th P5 offer. Duke was his first P5 offer in October. Visited Vanderbilt in November and Vandy has established themselves as the early favorite. Taylor was selected for Georgia’s Elite Junior Classic in December. Has had some injuries that have limited the amount of film that is available. Tom Lemming called him “a blue chipper who is athletic, smart and coachable”. Listed as an OC, he could project to other OL positions at the college level.
Hudl Highlights: http://www.hudl.com/athlete/3902861/will-taylor
Twitter ID: @big_reddd

WR Khalil Newton (Stephenson HS / Stone Mountain, GA)
Other P5 Offers: Kentucky
Measurables: Was 6’2 / 173 at Nike-Atlanta in March 2015.
Notes: Wake Forest was his first offer. Wake has also offered his teammate Eugene Brown. Attends the same HS that Cameron Glenn attended, but a school that also has a history of sending players to Kentucky. Invited to play in Georgia’s Rising Seniors Game.
Hudl Highlights: http://www.hudl.com/athlete/2759719/khalil-newton
Twitter ID: @kjnewton9

OL Carson Van Lynn (Kilbourne / Columbus, OH)
Rating: 3-star (5.5), #29 overall recruit in Ohio
Other P5 Offers: Boston College, Iowa State and Kentucky
Notes: Wake Forest offered on January 6 and was his 3rd P5 offer. Reportedly measures 6’7/235. Versatile athlete could project at OL, TE or DE at the college level, but most think OT is the most likely position. His cousin plays for Duke and has a close relationship with Van Lynn. Duke would immediately become the favorite if they were to offer. Van Lynn visited Michigan State and Kentucky this fall. Notre Dame also hosted him for their game at Pitt in November.
Hudl Highlights: http://www.hudl.com/athlete/2504706/carson-van-lynn
Twitter ID: @carsonvanlynn

DL Tommy Christ (Dominion HS / Sterling, VA)
Rating: 3-star (5.5), #28 overall recruit in Virginia
Other P5 Offers: Boston College and N.C. State
Notes: Wake Forest offered on January 6 and was Christ’s 3rd P5 offer. He recently named N.C. State as his early leader. Has already visited at least 8 P5 schools, but to my knowledge has not yet visited Wake. Versatile athlete could also project as a DT, DE or OL at the college level.
Hudl Highlights: http://www.hudl.com/athlete/4673389/tommy-christ
Twitter ID: @tschrist50

Back