• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2017 Football Recruiting

It's the right move to leave this info in Les' subscriber forum since he had the scoop. I happened to see this recruit at the Clemson game and decided not to post the info. Partly because he was committed to a (non-P5) school at the time. Partly because I couldn't dig up much info about him.

Thanks, Deac94 (and everyone else). It is Zach Tom, and I just got off the phone with him, so I will update the story with quotes and tweet it with the name included in the title.

In YOUR face University of Southern Mississippi.

I read Zach Tom's brother currently plays for USM so interesting that we were able to flip him.

He pushes little guys around pretty well. He's a project, give him time.

Didn't we flip Tyler Bell from Southern Miss? If it wasn't him it was someone else on our roster.

Didn't we flip Tyler Bell from Southern Miss? If it wasn't him it was someone else on our roster.

Would really like to see him get more time next year. Not sure how that happens with all of our current backs but feel like he showed a lot of promise last year and just couldn't stay healthy this year.

While he may turn out to be an excellent player over time, I am a bit concerned with our OL recruiting this year. None of our currently committed OL recruits for 2017 have any other P5 offer. While we have players on our current roster who did not have other p5 offers, do well, this is a position we really need a talent improvement from looking at our offense the last three years. Hopefully they can develop these guys.

DT commit Tyler Williams won POY in Palm Beach County. Williams was the first DL nominated for the award since 1999 (Vince Wilfork). He had 18 tackles for loss on the season.

Taylor Powell was 15 of 26 for 265 yards and 4 passing TDs in last weekend's Class 7A state championship game in Arkansas. He was named MVP. Powell finished the season with 3,473 yards passing and 44 TD. He was named offensive POY in the state by All-Arkansas Preps. He leaves with the 7A record for career passing TDs (109) and is second all-time for career passing yards.

While he may turn out to be an excellent player over time, I am a bit concerned with our OL recruiting this year. None of our currently committed OL recruits for 2017 have any other P5 offer. While we have players on our current roster who did not have other p5 offers, do well, this is a position we really need a talent improvement from looking at our offense the last three years. Hopefully they can develop these guys.

That is concerning.

Not being able to recruit more highly regarded OL is something that has always puzzled me. Academics don't seem to a valid excuse given schools like BC that always seem to have great OL. That being said, it's a position that we know we will likely be red shirting whereas most of the top prospects are probably playing right away so comparisons are a little more muddied.

DT commit Tyler Williams won POY in Palm Beach County. Williams was the first DL nominated for the award since 1999 (Vince Wilfork). He had 18 tackles for loss on the season.

and Williams is still only rated a 2*

Hold up. He won overall POY, not just defensive POY? Wow.

Hold up. He won overall POY, not just defensive POY? Wow.

Impressive! I like the guys recruiting on the defensive side of the ball but am less impressed with the guys on the offensive side (specifically Tabacca). We REALLY need to upgrade the OL talent or else we will continue to struggle to put points on the board and will be forced to play conservatively forever.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/notre-dame-grad-transfer-qb-malik-zaire-reportedly-lining-up-visits-161351517.html

Malik Zaire officially transferring, apparently without restriction. Wish Clawson would put the hard sell on him and tell him he'll be the starter from day 1 with an offense built around his strengths. Still probably wouldn't be enough to get him, but shooters gotta shoot.

"Offense built around his strengths." Seriously, with what is said "offense" going to use for materiel? What would its value to a top recruit be?

Back