• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2017 Football Recruiting

Agreed. It's up the staff to be creative and make it happen. It's not like we have a home territory we have to protect from Harbaugh and others. I don't see how this is a bad thing for us.

bullshit we don't have the resources for a satellite camp. we aren't building a new stadium to have them in or something.

I applaud the NCAA for the decision to overturn the ban on satellite camps. It’s the right decision for student athletes. However, I do hope that the NCAA will further regulate the camps in some way. I would think that some common sense limitations can eventually be put in place that keeps them from getting out of hand.

While prospective student athletes benefit from the decision, the impact for Wake Forest football remains to be seen. Keep in mind that roughly 1/3 of Clawson’s commits have earned their offers based on camp performances, so camps are more critical to Wake Forest than other P5 schools. Here is how I see the risks and opportunities:

RISKS

I see the risks as two-fold. First, you would expect that it will become more difficult to get talent to come to your on-campus camps. Especially if they have to travel from places like Atlanta where they can attend satellite camps. Second, more schools will be able to get exposure to recruits within Wake’s “six-hour radius” recruiting territory. So there’s a risk that more kids in that territory will commit to schools further from home, which would further dilute the talent pool that Wake would be drawing from.

OPPORTUNITIES

I have said for a while that one of the staff’s real strengths is talent evaluation, including in-person talent evaluation. If played correctly, satellite camps could give the staff an ability to lay eyes on more recruits in more places, including recruits that previously would not have made the trip to Winston-Salem. That’s a huge opportunity for Wake.

SO WHAT HAPPENS NEXT?

My understanding is that Wake will host at least one satellite camp. I think it will be a standalone Wake Forest camp. Other than that, I’m not sure what else Wake has in store.

Across the college football landscape, it seems like camps could evolve in three forms:

#1 – Single-school camps – I think these will be rare. The idea that say, Illinois, is going to set up camp in Atlanta and draw 200 quality prospects seems far-fetched. This alternative is high-cost, high-effort and will minimize turnout.

#2 – Multiple-school camps – I think this will be the go-to model. Lower-cost. Doesn’t require as much effort. I think it will be a necessity to draw a meaningful number of camp attendees. You may even have to co-host camps with schools that you would normally recruits against, but that may become a necessity. There are already indications that this model will be used this cycle. Georgia and Michigan are co-hosting a camp on June 5. FAU announced that they will be hosting coaching staffs from N.C. State, Kentucky and Arkansas at their camps. Samford announced that the Iowa coaching staff will be at a “mega-camp” in June 11 that will also include schools that you would have thought competed against one another for recruits (Troy, South Alabama, Memphis, Tulane, Southern Miss etc).

#3 - Private workouts – If taken to the extreme, these satellite camps could end up as a private workouts, where a school like Michigan would go to a city for what amounts to a private workout for small numbers of recruits (think 4-6).

My guess is that, absent additional NCAA rule-making, in 2-5 years you will see that camps have turned into something closer to regional combines (similar to the NFL combines) that are attended by large numbers of both coaches and recruits.

It should be fascinating to watch how college football adapts to this, but especially how Wake Forest reacts to this. I have a sense that our coaches have been planning for this possibility. It should be interesting to follow.

Last edited:
A quick follow-up to what I just posted on satellite camps. An article in USA Today this morning furthers the notion that the "multi-school" camps I mentioned may quickly turn into "mega-camps". There are plans underway for a camp at the University of Mary Hardin-Baylor with initial interest from Oklahoma State, Arizona State, Colorado, Kansas State, Ole Miss, Mizzou, Northwestern and Oregon State as well as a number of FCS and Group of Five schools.

Two additional questions that I have:

Will recruits begin to participate in more camps? You'd be surprised how many uncommitted recruits currently limit themselves to 2-4 camps. Not all, but a lot of kids really limit themselves. In some cases it may be due to lack of transportation or the need to maintain summer jobs.

Will we see fewer recruits commit in the spring? Will kids hold off until they have been to some of these June/July camps that will be hyped? Or will it work the other way, with kids wanting to lock up their spots without having to compete with hundreds of other kids on the camp circuit (not to mention that the schools that have offered may find kids that they like better).

Let's see. One guy consumes as much information available as possible and admittedly makes educated guesses on what he believes is going on. Another interviews the coaching staff and actual prospects. Finally, we have a jock sniffing, insider wannabe, townie who kidnaps his wife's phone so he can text her friends who are married to area coaches asking for recruiting updates.

Not sure how I qualify as a townie jock sniffer, but if it weren't for townie fans, Wake would have a hard time filling the gym at the local YMCA. Does a WFU degree erase the townie label or is a person always a townie if they choose to attend a school close to their hometown?

Insider wannabe? Kernersville is a small town. If you have kids in sports here, you're going to become friends with or get to know parents and athletes. I've shared what I've heard from the athlete's perspective (or their parent's perspective). Obviously, this can be and is different from what Deac94 and RivalsLes share. They're getting info from different places.

If I'm betting, I'm going to go with what 94 and Rivals are saying...if they're hearing on the college end that interest is decreasing, that's probably the truth. How many athletes (or their parents) will openly admit that P5 interest has cooled?

This was shared today on Facebook. Does it sound like Duke, Wake, or VT have cooled? Interview on April 6. This is what I'm hearing directly from the parents.

http://www.twcsportschannel.com/articles/2016/04/04/nc-2017-football-recruits/nc-madison-cone

I’d like to know where Cone stands with Wake, but I don’t have any insight. In the Scout interview with Cone it was interesting that he didn’t name Wake as one of the schools recruiting him the hardest.

Why I wouldn’t be surprised if Cone was a top target for Wake:
He’s visited multiple times and Wake has seemingly been recruiting him forever. Very productive DB in terms of creating turnovers. Wake is committed to recruiting North Carolina and specifically the Triad. If there are questions about his size, it’s not like Wake hasn’t known his measurables for a long time.

Why I wouldn’t be surprised if Cone was not a top target for Wake:
He measured 5’8.5 last weekend at The Opening-Charlotte. I’m interested to see where Cone and Aapri Washington (who also measured only 5’8.5) ultimately land given that everyone is looking for larger cornerbacks, especially if they run a 4-2-5 or similar scheme like Wake’s that give CBs a big role in stopping the run. Other than Cone and Washington, everyone else on Wake’s board seems to be 6’0 or greater (or at least very close to it). Wake took 5’9(ish) Essang Bassey last year. That could mean that they are open to smaller corners…or it might mean that they need to stay away to avoid having too many smaller CBs.

There are message board-type rumors that Cone has fallen on the boards of both Duke and VT (especially Duke), but Wisconsin seems to be as high on him as they’ve ever been.

You guys seen anything on any satellite camps set up yet? Florida Atlantic sent out a tweet saying that NCSU and UK are hosting one with them this summer.

Meh. A lot of his BGSU teams could have beat our Deac teams at that same time.

Curious as to which teams you're speaking of. The 2011 5-7 Bowling Squad would not have beaten the 2011 Wake Forest Squad that lost by 6 to a strong SEC team in a bowl game.

The 2012 Bowling Green squad went 8-5 while the 2012 Wake squad went 5-7 after playing a much more difficult schedule. That BG team lost all 5 games by 7+ and only beat 6 MAC schools + Idaho (who is dropping to FCS) and FCS Rhode Island.

The 2013 MAC Champion squad could have beaten 2013 Wake without Campanaro. With Campanaro, that game is going into the 4th Q. *as long we're not running the option :tard: That's coming from a former NFL talent scout - not me for the record.

With all of that said, I'm somewhat encouraged by the direction this team is headed. Six wins should be expected out of this squad this year.

bullshit we don't have the resources for a satellite camp. we aren't building a new stadium to have them in or something.

Should have clarified. I think a satellite camp in the Carolinas (& maybe Virginia) could certainly work for Wake. The Deacs don't have the resources or brand power IMO to put together camps in Georgia, Texas, Ohio, and Florida (where all the other schools are going to be headed)

You guys seen anything on any satellite camps set up yet? Florida Atlantic sent out a tweet saying that NCSU and UK are hosting one with them this summer.

Saw this tweet. This is more of what Wake should attempt to do IMO

Well yeah. I think that's what most schools are going to try to do. Seems like it would be a matter of sending 2 coaches and a staff member to work camps in GA, TX, and wherever.

This is clearly what's best for the kids which should be the NCAA's priority.

I hope we have someone filling in until they hire someone full-time.

It's a Fellow Position made for graduates who don't have real jobs lined up. Or at least how that's how these things started.

Madison Cone rated his Wisconsin visit a "20 out of 10" and says he is likely to announce his decision next week.

Madison Cone rated his Wisconsin visit a "20 out of 10" and says he is likely to announce his decision next week.

That doesn't sound good for Wake. Too bad he is in Wisc when the weather is nice, rather than when there are feet of snow on the ground and the wind-chill is in minus numbers.

2l942uo.png

kd6328.jpg

Very few changes to my Board this week. I removed two OLs. Will Taylor (committed to Duke) and Tyran Hunt (strong lean to VT who also received a number of new offers this week).

I’m going to keep Madison Cone on the Board even though a commitment to Wisconsin appears to be likely.

I added back 2-star WR Tye Freeland at the suggestion of Richardwfu.

The most interesting development of the week was the new offer to OL/DL Loic Nya (Silver Springs, MD). It was Nya’s first college offer. I found this interesting because Wake isn’t making too many new offers right now and I assumed that if they had found some hidden gems they would try to keep them hidden until camp season.

Nya is a 6’3 / 265 two-way player that emigrated from Cameroon and didn’t start playing football until his sophomore year. His highlights aren’t that extensive yet, but physically he looks like he could develop into a beast. There’s a possibility that he is being recruited as a DL, but I’m going to list him as an OL for now.

Note that this time last year Wake had 6 commitments, so the 4 commits this year is pretty much on the same pace. Last year Wake added one commit in May and then four commits in June.

Last edited:
Back