• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

NIKITA WHITLOCK: waived / injury

Dillon Fence

Reaction score
Enjoyed reading - hope he makes it. He was a favorite player. As I recall, against NCSU, one of the first plays, he broke thru for a 20 yard sack. Set the stage for the game in our favor. Huge play and effort.

IMHO, Nikita would fit best on a team that doesn't use a fullback a lot, but wants somebody who can play the position and be useful on special teams. His size (or lack thereof in NFL terms) won't be nearly as much of an issue in special teams play. Maybe he should add long snapping to his repertoire of skills. Snap the ball. Run down the field. Blow up the punt returner.

Pretty positive article

Would love him to make the team.
He would be a great story for the NFL to publicize.
And I'm sure he would come up with some highlight plays

New England FB Devlin out 6 to 8 weeks with broken leg. Nikita had worked out with New England prior to his signing with the Bengals. If the Giants don't keep him on the 53 man roster Nikita could be off to NE. Belicheck may find way to use him on D.

So much group think. Makes me sick. Nikita is a freak. Play him at NT His size is a benefit not a problem. Malcolm gladwellesque.

Again NFL group think. Nikita has tremendous freakish leverage and gets the jump. He is unblockable at any level and would spend just much time in an NFL backfield as he did in ACC back fields. The stupidity of people never ceases to amaze me.

great nikita article

Nobody is going to use a 260 lb NT. Nobody. This is the NFL. He's done well for himself to stick around at FB.

great nikita article

Nikita was the man but I'd argue that him being the focal point of our DL playing at NG hurt our defense more than helped it. Any team with a half decent running game could walk the ball down the field.

Nobody is going to use a 260 lb NT. Nobody. This is the NFL. He's done well for himself to stick around at FB.

Conventional group think. As the game of football has opened up niche positions have developed. With running QBs there had to be a spy and Nikita can do it from the NT. he is lightening down the line of scrimmage, and I don't care how much he weighs if you can get a hat on him. He breaks arms with his ridiculous low center of gravity. It is virtually impossible to keep him out of the backfield. Just like Muggsy his size is an advantage.

Nikita played some DT last night! Tackle and fumble recovery! Giants fans love the kid!

http://www.bigblueview.com/2015/9/4/9256983/ny-giants-53-man-roster-projection-nikita-whitlock-uani-unga-markus-juhn

Fullback (2)

Henry Hynoski, Nikita Whitlock

Two fullbacks? Yep. Did you watch the game on Thursday night? The Giants have to find a way to keep Whitlock on the roster, and it's going to require thinking outside the box to do it. The guy throws everything he has into every block when he's at fullback. He's always around the ball on special teams. He even played some defensive tackle, his college position, and came up with a tackle and a fumble recovery. At 250 pounds, that isn't something the Giants would want to see in a regular-season game but the fact he did OK there in his short stint is another plus for him.

I can't bring myself to cut Hynoski because he is still one of the league's better fullbacks, and Whitlock is still learning the position. Besides, as you will see below there is a way both guys can be utilized. Whitlock has to be part of this team, though. His energy, aggression, versatility and special teams contributions in coverage demand it. The trick is going to be where to steal a roster spot from to make room for Whitlock.

From NY Post

First-year FB Nikita Whitlock was stunned when he was told he was going to get playing time on the defensive line — a spot he hasn’t played since Wake Forest. Whitlock recovered a fumble late in the game.
“Defensive line is my passion, I love it with all my heart,’’ said Whitlock, who also played on offense and special teams. “They got their money’s worth today.’’

video of the FR http://sports.yahoo.com/video/2015-nfl-preseason-week-4-073750620.html

Kudos to ...

Nikita Whitlock -- Hard to do more than Whitlock did Thursday in an effort to make the roster. Some crunching blocks at fullback. A third-and-short run for a first down. Several nice plays on special teams. Whitlock, all 5-foot-10, 250 pounds of him, even played a little bit of defensive tackle. On defense, he made a tackle and came up with the game-saving fumble recovery after Damontre Moorse stripped the ball from Patriot QB Ryan Lindley. His only blip was one special teams penalty. Now, how do you find a spot for him on the roster?

BBI message board http://corner.bigblueinteractive.com/index.php?mode=2&thread=519678&show_all=1

Whitlock slipped through about a half ton of human being to get that ball.

Awesome news about Whitlock. The man deserves any shot the NFL can give him. Haven't we had two other defensive linemen play for the NYG? Fred Robbins comes to mind as one of the other ones.

I don't think they will cut Hynoski, but they might cut Adrien Robinson, who is their third TE and really sucks, and they have enough WRs that they don't really need 3 TEs (Robinson can't block worth shit). I could see Coughlin keeping Whitlock in that spot, especially after seeing him play DT last night. JPP is so up in the air that I could see them wanting another semi- defensive lineman on the roster. The fans and sportswriters absolutely love him because of how hard he plays and that he is productive wherever they put him.

Out of curiosity why can't he play linebacker in running or blitz situations?

Back