• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Syracuse - Saturday, 12:30 PM on ESPN3, ACCN

Well, I'm not here to take any shots or start any ruckus, because I've always liked Wake - it was actually one of the only three schools I ever really considered when I was in high school (but I always knew I'd wind up at Syracuse). Robert O'Kelley was one of my favorite basketball players growing up, as I'd watched him play AAU ball for Memphis Idlewild when I was about 12 or 13 and he was playing in a national 15-U tournament that my brother was participating in, and I'll fight anyone who says Timmy Duncan isn't the greatest power forward of all-time.

That all said, I have almost no clue what to expect this weekend. I think these two teams could not possibly be more similar if they tried. Good defenses, and offenses that were horrendous last year but showed signs of life against pretty much the worst possible competition in their season openers. Since others have talked about Eric Dungey, I do believe that he's easily the most talented QB on Syracuse's roster, including Terrel Hunt (please keep in mind "most talented" does not equate to "most ready to contribute"). That's not to say he's going to be an All-ACC kid this year, obviously. He's going to need a year or two to really develop, and I was hoping he'd have a chance to do that while redshirting. I also have nothing against Terrel Hunt, he's a great kid (seriously, if you feel so inclined, read about his background and what he's overcome...he's an extremely easy kid to root for, and the fact he's faced such terrible medical hardship the last two years is just not fair). But Dungey is more athletic (he was a basketball and track star in HS as well), and he's the smartest QB on the team (there's a reason Yale and Harvard wanted him). I've been very high on Dungey for a long time and, ultimately, think he'll be a great college QB. I'm just not sure how quickly he'll get there. I think a lot of people are overselling him for this year, but I think a line of 1800 yards with 12 TD/8 INT is very attainable.

Here's hoping for a good, entertaining, well played, injury free game on Saturday.

Good post.
You can come watch the game with us........

I haven't seen any pictures of this Dungey guy but since he doesn't run as well but is a better passer is he, well you know......white?

Line is down to 3.5. One of the most significant line moves on the card. Billy Walters must like the Deacs.

I did enjoy reading are your comments about how horrid we are and how the Cuse should beat us by 30 on the Syracuse board. Those were nice.

How old were those posts. Pretty sure my delusional posts were during the offseason. I'm overly optimistic every offseason. I predicted in the Wake game prediction thread 31-14. Which was also before I learned today that we may be without one of our best skills players, Erv Phillips.

@sportsnut - Dungey is actually probably a better runner than Hunt (in terms of speed...Hunt is a great runner despite not being fast, because he's big and strong and has terrific instincts when running). The dude is a seriously gifted athlete. But yes, he's white. He was a hurdler/high jumper and basketball star in high school...big time athlete who also happens to be an Ivy League student. Basically, he's the guy most of us hate because he's good at everything, and screw guys like that, right?

Last edited:
Well, then. Arguably our most dynamic offensive player, Erv Philips, is out this Saturday with a "lower body injury."

So SU is without its starting QB and perhaps its best offensive player overall. He had 2 receptions last week, both went for touchdowns.

Anyone have any insight Syracuse's front seven?

“Did I ever tell you about the time The Cuse Front 7 took me out to go get a drink with them? We go off looking for a bar and we can’t find one. Finally, The Cuse Front 7 takes me into a vacant lot and says, ‘Here we are.’ Well, we sat there for a year and a half. Sure enough, someone constructed a stadium with a huge-assed bar around us. Well, the day they opened it, we ordered shots, sacked Wolford, slapped Clawson and then burnt the place to the ground. The Cuse Front 7 yelled over the roar of the flames, ‘Always leave things the way you found them!'”

Stolen from SNL...Cuse fan here. Anyone coming to Cuse go to the Fine Lot (corner of Henry and E Raynor) look for the large tailgate near the tree line. $10 for drinks n food. Tell them TexanMark sent you.

Last edited:
Well, I'm not here to take any shots or start any ruckus, because I've always liked Wake - it was actually one of the only three schools I ever really considered when I was in high school (but I always knew I'd wind up at Syracuse). Robert O'Kelley was one of my favorite basketball players growing up, as I'd watched him play AAU ball for Memphis Idlewild when I was about 12 or 13 and he was playing in a national 15-U tournament that my brother was participating in, and I'll fight anyone who says Timmy Duncan isn't the greatest power forward of all-time.

That all said, I have almost no clue what to expect this weekend. I think these two teams could not possibly be more similar if they tried. Good defenses, and offenses that were horrendous last year but showed signs of life against pretty much the worst possible competition in their season openers. Since others have talked about Eric Dungey, I do believe that he's easily the most talented QB on Syracuse's roster, including Terrel Hunt (please keep in mind "most talented" does not equate to "most ready to contribute"). That's not to say he's going to be an All-ACC kid this year, obviously. He's going to need a year or two to really develop, and I was hoping he'd have a chance to do that while redshirting. I also have nothing against Terrel Hunt, he's a great kid (seriously, if you feel so inclined, read about his background and what he's overcome...he's an extremely easy kid to root for, and the fact he's faced such terrible medical hardship the last two years is just not fair). But Dungey is more athletic (he was a basketball and track star in HS as well), and he's the smartest QB on the team (there's a reason Yale and Harvard wanted him). I've been very high on Dungey for a long time and, ultimately, think he'll be a great college QB. I'm just not sure how quickly he'll get there. I think a lot of people are overselling him for this year, but I think a line of 1800 yards with 12 TD/8 INT is very attainable.

Here's hoping for a good, entertaining, well played, injury free game on Saturday.
Cheers

How old were those posts. Pretty sure my delusional posts were during the offseason. I'm overly optimistic every offseason. I predicted in the Wake game prediction thread 31-14. Which was also before I learned today that we may be without one of our best skills players, Erv Phillips.

Dude...what is the deal with you "liking" every other post on ya'lls board?

@sportsnut - Dungey is actually probably a better runner than Hunt (in terms of speed...Hunt is a great runner despite not being fast, because he's big and strong and has terrific instincts when running). The dude is a seriously gifted athlete. But yes, he's white. He was a hurdler/high jumper and basketball star in high school...big time athlete who also happens to be an Ivy League student. Basically, he's the guy most of us hate because he's good at everything, and screw guys like that, right?

Since when did Syracuse join the Ivy League?

God, this thread is awful. Another miserable by-product of ACC expansion.

Dude...what is the deal with you "liking" every other post on ya'lls board?

Dude...what is the deal with you stalking me? Idk, maybe I like to throw people a like when I like what they have to share....

God, this thread is awful. Another miserable by-product of ACC expansion.

I dont understand why people like you don't appreciate talking to people from other fanbases. You get some interesting nuggets you might not know about, and a little outside perspective. Also, I don't understand why people comment in threads they don't care for. If you don't like, you don't have to read it. It's easy.

I'm assuming the game notes on the official site are now coming out on Fridays? It used to be Thursday's.

I dont understand why people like you don't appreciate talking to people from other fanbases. You get some interesting nuggets you might not know about, and a little outside perspective. Also, I don't understand why people comment in threads they don't care for. If you don't like, you don't have to read it. It's easy.

I've enjoyed your participation, thanks for being here. You're doing well at repping your school with respect for the opposition IMO.

I'm assuming the game notes on the official site are now coming out on Fridays? It used to be Thursday's.

Wish I'd seen this right when you posted. Because I've been wasting time scouring the Internet, also assuming it had to be out by now.

Back