• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Deacon Blues: The First-hand Story of its Creation

It still makes a really good story, even though its not true. The timeline is wrong. The Wake win over a ranked Auburn team came in 1979. The song was written in 1976 and released in 1977.

It's ironic that we're not even significant enough to be the inspiration behind a Deacon reference in a song about the losers of the world.

I don't believe those guys. And no, that's not because of LOWF. It's because bull shit smells like bull shit. Those guys are full of bull shit.

Clearly Wellman got to them.

If memory serves they have been all over the place in prior interviews about the song, including one where they had no idea where the Deacon reference came from (and it was then attributed to the sports-watching session players who were playing on the track). Bottom line is we will probably never really know based on the cocaine and cognac fueled reality from which the masterpiece emerged - so let's just keep thinking it's about us since it fits us to a fucking T.

If memory serves they have been all over the place in prior interviews about the song, including one where they had no idea where the Deacon reference came from (and it was then attributed to the sports-watching session players who were playing on the track). Bottom line is we will probably never really know based on the cocaine and cognac fueled reality from which the masterpiece emerged - so let's just keep thinking it's about us since it fits us to a fucking T.

I agree with this. I am 98% certain as well that I have read an interview where they came up with the Crimson Tide line... they were stumped where to go next, and supposedly one of the guys in the studio was a college football fan who threw out the deacs as a perfect opposite. also agree the deacon jones ref makes no sense. so even though i posted the original, i retract that this solves the mystery.

There is no mystery. The reference is to Wake, and their subsequent dissembling is disgusting and adds further insult to injury. Fuck those lying assholes.

Do they do this to the other schools in their songs? Are they obtuse enough to insist they are not talking about Alabama, or some other William & Mary?

I agree with this. I am 98% certain as well that I have read an interview where they came up with the Crimson Tide line... they were stumped where to go next, and supposedly one of the guys in the studio was a college football fan who threw out the deacs as a perfect opposite. also agree the deacon jones ref makes no sense. so even though i posted the original, i retract that this solves the mystery.

This was my recollection as well. The whole Deacon Jones thing makes no sense.

Rock stars obfuscating song origins and other tidbits about their careers is nothing new

They have always been obtuse in their interviews and like to give reporters ridiculous answers. That said, Deacon Blues has nothing to do with Wake.

Donald Fagen singing the blues from the clink

http://www.spin.com/2016/01/donald-fagen-steely-dan-arrested-domestic-assault-libby-titus-2016/

Steely Dan’s Donald Fagen has been arrested and charged for misdemeanor domestic assault of his wife, the musician Libby Titus, a New York Police Department spokesperson confirmed to Rolling Stone.

According to reports, the couple was embroiled in an argument when Fagen grabbed Titus’ arm and pushed her, allegedly into a marble window frame. The 67-year-old was arrested and released without bail early Tuesday morning.

The New York Post reached Titus by phone earlier today, and during their conversation, the 69-year-old said, ““I don’t feel good. I’m very tired and I’m divorcing my husband.”

The Post reports that the assault took place on Monday night at 5:30 p.m. at the couple’s East 92 Street apartment in New York City. Titus received an issue of protection against Fagen during his arraignment. They married in 1993.

Back