• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Week 4 NFL Thread: Refs are DUMB and other obvious observations

dv7, no disrespect to your other football posts, this is one of your dumbest.

The situations in which a ball crosses the goal line in soccer and football are completely different. In soccer, it's just a ball going over a line with two hands and maybe a body or a foot at the line trying to stop it.

In football, the ball is obscured by the hand(s) of the ball carrier and any number of the other 21 people on the field trying to get to the ball. In other words, it's much easier for an official to see any part of the ball cross the goal line rather than determine if the entire ball crossed the goal line.

Considering this version of football is a take off of rugby and not the other version of football, I don't really get these posts.

IMO, for it to be a touchdown the ball should have to completely cross over the line and remain in control of the player all the way to the ground. You know, he could like touch the ball down or something...

God dammit.

dv7, no disrespect to your other football posts, this is one of your dumbest.

The situations in which a ball crosses the goal line in soccer and football are completely different. In soccer, it's just a ball going over a line with two hands and maybe a body or a foot at the line trying to stop it.

In football, the ball is obscured by the hand(s) of the ball carrier and any number of the other 21 people on the field trying to get to the ball. In other words, it's much easier for an official to see any part of the ball cross the goal line rather than determine if the entire ball crossed the goal line.

I feel like Marshawn lynch despises Russell Wilson

I feel like I remember dv7 complaining about this same rule last year. May have been someone else but think it was dv7.

they have to get rid of the defensive holding/illegal hands to the face being 5 yards AND a auto first down. has to be 5 yards replay the down. I can't remember a week where i've seen so many questionable calls on this and it totally bails the offense out

they have to get rid of the defensive holding/illegal hands to the face being 5 yards AND a auto first down. has to be 5 yards replay the down. I can't remember a week where i've seen so many questionable calls on this and it totally bails the offense out

It should be an auto first down. They shouldn't call it as often.

so as i say that the saints have had 2 of those calls on this drive, the second being really bad imo

I feel like I remember dv7 complaining about this same rule last year. May have been someone else but think it was dv7.

It was probably me. I have thought the rule was stupid for a long time now.

I think it happened when a QB jumped over the pile and outstretched his hands with the ball to break the plane of the goal line only to pull his hands, and the ball back and be tackled at the 2. TOUCHDOWN! How stupid is that? He didn't even try to keep the ball in the end zone and was still rewarded. So dumb.

I think it happened when a QB jumped over the pile and outstretched his hands with the ball to break the plane of the goal line only to pull his hands, and the ball back and be tackled at the 2. TOUCHDOWN! How stupid is that? He didn't even try to keep the ball in the end zone and was still rewarded. So dumb.

So do you want to change the forward progress rule as well?

It is odd to me that you can reach the tip of the ball on the goal line, but can also catch the ball falling out of bounds in the endzone while dragging two feet in and also scoring.

It is odd to me that you can reach the tip of the ball on the goal line, but can also catch the ball falling out of bounds in the endzone while dragging two feet in and also scoring.

Not odd at all. Part of the ball crossed the goal line in both cases.

Not odd at all. Part of the ball crossed the goal line in both cases.

No, plenty of times the ball is caught beyond the back of the endzone, or outside the side boundary of the endzone, ball never being possessed in the endzone, but it's the feet in that matter. For instance if a player jumps at the goal line but the ball passes outside the pylon, it is not a touchdown. But if the ball is caught falling out of bounds in the endzone it's the feet that matter. I understand the rules, it's just that different things matter at different times.

Back