• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Week 4 NFL Thread: Refs are DUMB and other obvious observations

That official trying to cover his ass by saying he didn't think the bat was intentional is so frustrating. I would have rather had him be honest and say, honestly I did not know it was a rule so I didn't call it.

That fucker gets paid over 100k to know the rules of the game and he can't even do that. The officiating in the NFL right now is really detracting from the game.

If the rule was enforced on the punter, technically a punter could bat the ball to avoid giving up a safety and just give up a touchback.

So in other words, there's no reason to call it on a punter because there's no way the opposing team would benefit.

No you can only get a touchback if it goes through your opponent's end zone. If a punter batted it out of the back it would be no different than when a safety snaps it through the end zone, safety.

I knew the rule (the Panthers got called for it a few years ago on a fumble recovery) but figured maybe there was some discretion if the ball would have gone out without the batting because it was so egregious.

Whole lot of Gerry Austin deer in headlights face on my TV.

No you can only get a touchback if it goes through your opponent's end zone. If a punter batted it out of the back it would be no different than when a safety snaps it through the end zone, safety.

I knew the rule (the Panthers got called for it a few years ago on a fumble recovery) but figured maybe there was some discretion if the ball would have gone out without the batting because it was so egregious.

That's my point. It would make sense to enforce it on the punter because it would benefit the punting team.

That's my point. It would make sense to enforce it on the punter because it would benefit the punting team.

Okay, I'm just confused. I don't understand how a punter would force a touchback by batting it (rule or no rule). Probably not worth diving into.

Jim Caldwell has got to have started more seasons in 0-and-____ fashion than any other college or NFL head coach who is currently employed. I still can't believe that people continue to hire and employ him in that capacity.

Lost in the fiasco of last night's ending is the fact that Seattle is back to pedestrian status. Their Oline stinks, partly because they traded Unger for Graham who they can't figure out how to use. That trade looks to have been a lose-lose for both teams. Lynch is in the hurt/#decline stage of an RB's career. The defense is very good, but not what it was.

Weird that people were telling me that Caldwell was a good hire when I was freaking the fuck out about it.

Okay, I'm just confused. I don't understand how a punter would force a touchback by batting it (rule or no rule). Probably not worth diving into.

That's the thing. Comparing last night to a punter batting a ball out as ridiculous.

Unger for Graham was a baffling trade to begin with. Willson is a solid TE and they could have drafted a young pass catching TE. Graham is in decline.

Too early to decide that on the Seahawks, they went through a similar phase last season

Jim Caldwell is giving me hope that mediocrity can propel me to high places too.

Get the right mentors and get a job where you mentor one of the greatest to ever do his job.

Unger for Graham was a baffling trade to begin with. Willson is a solid TE and they could have drafted a young pass catching TE. Graham is in decline.

It made great sense for the Saints since we had trouble protecting Brees last year. Losing Graham stinks since we're not exactly flush with receivers anymore.

Still need to protect Brees though. The problems are the ends though.

Yeah. It was a good trade for the Saints.

The batting thing, while illegal, is being way overblown. There was no Lions player anywhere near the ball. It's not like bro dove to bat the ball and save a TD or something.

The batting thing, while illegal, is being way overblown. There was no Lions player anywhere near the ball. It's not like bro dove to bat the ball and save a TD or something.

I mean, it's a missed call that affected the outcome of the game.

I blame Jim Caldwell in equal parts for not running out on to the field and yelling about batting, because it seems like something the referees just straight forgot.

And the reason the player batted the ball instead of just falling on it was for simplicity's sake, so he definitely should have been penalized.

Back