• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

FSU Game Review

I bow before the technical football knowledge of 94 and many other posters. My "review" of the game is simply to say, it's a hell of a lot better to lose to FSU like this than like Grobe had us losing the last few years:

10/3/2015Winston-Salem, NC 16 24
10/4/2014Tallahassee, FL 34 3
11/9/2013Winston-Salem, NC 35 9
9/15/2012Tallahassee, FL 0 52

When those embarrassing blowouts started happening again, I knew it was time for Grobe to move along. Glad we have Clawson getting some respect back for the Deacs, even if the W-L record isn't there yet.

I learned that I am going to have to step up my post game basketball breakdowns if I want to compete with 94's football breakdowns. Great work 94.

That would be welcome, Wrangor.

I bow before the technical football knowledge of 94 and many other posters. My "review" of the game is simply to say, it's a hell of a lot better to lose to FSU like this than like Grobe had us losing the last few years:

When those embarrassing blowouts started happening again, I knew it was time for Grobe to move along. Glad we have Clawson getting some respect back for the Deacs, even if the W-L record isn't there yet.

Are you sure the game was that close in 2013? I thought that was the game we turned it over about 7 times and got beat worse then that?

Edit: I see what happened, it's the spacing. You meant 3 59, not 35 9. We lost 59-3 with 6 picks and one lost fumble. I think our defense actually held FSU to their lowest yardage output of that season, but they either scored directly on the turnovers or on short fields after turnovers.

Last edited:
Are you sure the game was that close in 2013? I thought that was the game we turned it over about 7 times and got beat worse then that?

the website data I was pasting got garbled, you're right it was actually 3 - 59, not 35 - 9, and last year it was 3-43, not 34-3.

:sick:

Ryan Anderson is currently listed as the 2nd team left guard

Snap count info from the FSU game:

Tyler Bell (57 snaps) continues to see many more snaps than Matt Colburn (16). This must reflect that the staff trusts Bell more in pass pro. Interestingly, Colburn was given the ball on 11 of the 16 plays that he was in the game.

For the second week in a row Chuck Wade (63 snaps) saw significantly more snaps than Tabari Hines (24 snaps).

True freshman Chris Calhoun led the DEs in snaps again. I think that is the 3rd week in a row that has happened. Calhoun had 37 snaps, Stewart 28, Dunn 24 and Shaw 13.

Demetrius Kemp (31 snaps) continues to close the gap with Hunter Williams (34 snaps) at Rover. That’s reasonably similar to the split that we saw against Indiana.

True freshman CB Dionte Austin (25 snaps) saw his most significant playing time. Devin Gaulden had 40 snaps.

Thomas Brown saw only 13 snaps. I’m surprised that his lack of PT hasn’t been the subject of more discussion. I expected him to be one of the standouts on defense this season.

Beating FSU 3 straight years by a combined score of 66-24 seems like a VERY long time ago. I agree with you, Clawson has this going in the right direction (mainly due to stellar play by Hinton). If we tackle a little better, we beat FSU a few days ago.

Beating FSU 3 straight years by a combined score of 66-24 seems like a VERY long time ago. I agree with you, Clawson has this going in the right direction (mainly due to stellar play by Hinton). If we tackle a little better, we beat FSU a few days ago.

We got them at home in 2011 to christen the new video board, that was pretty awesome!

Ryan Anderson is currently listed as the 2nd team left guard

Snap count info from the FSU game:

Tyler Bell (57 snaps) continues to see many more snaps than Matt Colburn (16). This must reflect that the staff trusts Bell more in pass pro. Interestingly, Colburn was given the ball on 11 of the 16 plays that he was in the game.

For the second week in a row Chuck Wade (63 snaps) saw significantly more snaps than Tabari Hines (24 snaps).

True freshman Chris Calhoun led the DEs in snaps again. I think that is the 3rd week in a row that has happened. Calhoun had 37 snaps, Stewart 28, Dunn 24 and Shaw 13.

Demetrius Kemp (31 snaps) continues to close the gap with Hunter Williams (34 snaps) at Rover. That’s reasonably similar to the split that we saw against Indiana.

True freshman CB Dionte Austin (25 snaps) saw his most significant playing time. Devin Gaulden had 40 snaps.

Thomas Brown saw only 13 snaps. I’m surprised that his lack of PT hasn’t been the subject of more discussion. I expected him to be one of the standouts on defense this season.

No doubt the BC coaching staff noticed this as well. Going to have to mix it up.

John Armstrong is no longer listed as KR. Chuck Wade and Colburn are now e KRs.

I learned that I am going to have to step up my post game basketball breakdowns if I want to compete with 94's football breakdowns. Great work 94.

Thank you! Very kind.

The biggest thing to me on Saturday is that we didn't get physically overpowered the way we did against Indiana on the lines. Perhaps that says more about FSU than it does us, but Hinton had more time to throw, our backs had a few holes to run through, and we bottled up their run game to an acceptable degree (Cook's injury can't be discounted there).

The game in many ways was there for the taking. It seemed like the bigger breaks of the game went in their favor--the big play for the TD, us somehow not blocking that punt, them getting the call on the incomplete pass/fumble play. Again, the injury to Cook is probably the biggest break that went against them, forcing them to have to rely on some other, less-talented five star recruit in his absence.

Traditionally, for us to pull an upset like that requires a significant advantage in turnover margin, including some short field scoring drives. We had no short field drives that I can recall (and I'd be interested to know what our best starting field position of the day was). Having several sustained drives was impressive. Having a significantly greater number of first downs was more impressive--my best recollection was that we had 24 first downs to their 15 or so. To be fair, they did have some significant penalty yardage, but we moved the ball pretty effectively. (And if we could combine Hinton's playmaking ability with Wolford's passing accuracy, we'd have an incredible weapon at our disposal.)

The last thing that stands out is the effect that three poor 3rd quarters has had on our record. All three losses were the result of being outplayed coming out of the half and getting into a hole we can't dig all the way out of. I don't know how we fix that, and I suspect our relative inexperience/youth has something to do with it, but that is something that the coaching staff needs to address.

Edit: I see what happened, it's the spacing. You meant 3 59, not 35 9. We lost 59-3 with 6 picks and one lost fumble. I think our defense actually held FSU to their lowest yardage output of that season, but they either scored directly on the turnovers or on short fields after turnovers.

That was the game when Grobe chose to kick a field goal when trailing 52-0. FSU then proceeded to return the kick off for a TD, to make it 59-3.

The biggest thing to me on Saturday is that we didn't get physically overpowered the way we did against Indiana on the lines. Perhaps that says more about FSU than it does us, but Hinton had more time to throw, our backs had a few holes to run through, and we bottled up their run game to an acceptable degree (Cook's injury can't be discounted there).

The game in many ways was there for the taking. It seemed like the bigger breaks of the game went in their favor--the big play for the TD, us somehow not blocking that punt, them getting the call on the incomplete pass/fumble play. Again, the injury to Cook is probably the biggest break that went against them, forcing them to have to rely on some other, less-talented five star recruit in his absence.

Traditionally, for us to pull an upset like that requires a significant advantage in turnover margin, including some short field scoring drives. We had no short field drives that I can recall (and I'd be interested to know what our best starting field position of the day was). Having several sustained drives was impressive. Having a significantly greater number of first downs was more impressive--my best recollection was that we had 24 first downs to their 15 or so. To be fair, they did have some significant penalty yardage, but we moved the ball pretty effectively. (And if we could combine Hinton's playmaking ability with Wolford's passing accuracy, we'd have an incredible weapon at our disposal.)

The last thing that stands out is the effect that three poor 3rd quarters has had on our record. All three losses were the result of being outplayed coming out of the half and getting into a hole we can't dig all the way out of. I don't know how we fix that, and I suspect our relative inexperience/youth has something to do with it, but that is something that the coaching staff needs to address.

I felt the same way, we competed very well in the trenches and I also didn't think FSU seemed like they were in a different league from a speed standpoint either. Don't get me wrong, FSU has more athletes as usual, but I felt like we competed well from a speed standpoint as well. I noticed that as the game went on they started respecting our receivers with larger cushions by their corners. We'll see how good FSU ends up being, but if they are a true top ten or so team, we hung with them pretty well and when you consider how young our team is, it was very encouraging. Now, let's see if we can go to BC and not lay an egg.

If I recall, we were +5 in turnover margin against them in 2011 and squeaked out a 35-30 win. For us to beat highly ranked teams it takes a damn near perfect performance to pull out the victory. I thought we were pretty close in doing so this past saturday despite a handful of unfortunate plays.

Clawson said again today that Ryan Anderson will play against BC but won't start. He said he could rotate in at any of the three interior line positions.

He also raved again about Duke Ejiofor. Said he was the most physically developed, strongest DE on the roster. Best DE against the run. Best DE rushing the passer. Sounded to me like it was 50/50 whether he would play against BC.

One interesting note on the near miss punt block in the first half against FSU: he said that Jonathon Williams got to the punter too early. He actually overshot the ball. Clawson seemed so frustrated. It sounds like they were very confident going into the game that they could exploit that formation. Only to have Williams go past the ball. Unbelievable.

Last edited:
Didn't Phonz do that twice in the Orange Bowl? I know he did it once and almost blocked a second, but don't recall if the second was an overshot too.

I thought the same thing. Colburn could be a valuable decoy against BC.

Most of those runs by Colburn were off the read option with Hinton handing the ball to him. Don't necessarily equate him being a decoy to more passes when he is in the game. He could be a decoy with Hinton keeping the ball on the read option or even some kind of jet sweep with a receiver in motion away from the direction Colburn moves on the snap. That is assuming Hinton is in the game. Not sure Woffords ankle would be as effective in those types of plays so it would mean passing with Colburn as a decoy after some play action.

I just think it's great than Hinton is from Durham and before he graduates will get us back on track against Duke. That has to be so satisfying for him and his family.

Plenty of folks think that's unrealistic but I'm on record for saying it will happen.

Back