• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2015 Football Coaching Carousel: Southern Miss HC to Tampa Bay

The problem with anyone hiring Smart is that if he has any success whatsoever, he will leave you high and dry once Saban retires down at Bama. Saban is 63 so it won't be that long.

Tom Herman would be pretty much an A++ hire for any school. USC, USC, wherever....

He did just get hired at Houston though, so who knows

Who else do you like? Pickings seem slim.

I will always randomly remember Spurrier for being the last coach to beat the New England Patriots before they went on a 21 game winning streak (including a SB) in 2003.

I noticed TITSWF asked this question on Twitter last night and think it's a pretty good one. Which is a better job: South Carolina or Maryland?

I grew up in Maryland during the Jerry Claiborne years when the Terps were perennial powers. (Yes, for you kids out there, such a time did exist.) Even then nobody gave a flying fuck about Terp football. My family still lives in MD and to hear them talk you would be surprised that Maryland even has a football team. They care more about Navy for some reason.

My sense is that people in SC are much more interested in college football. The few times I went to Columbia for a game it was a pretty cool experience. The same cannot be said for a trip to woebegone Byrd Stadium.

If I were a coach I would much rather give it a shot at USC than at UMD. Just my perspective, of course.

I know the big argument for UMD is Under Armour, but SEC Network/bowl $ is nice too.

South Carolina is a part of the UA family as well. UA is throwing some money around- just inked Wisconsin to a $100+ million dollar deal.

Who else do you like? Pickings seem slim.

Below is an early idea of what Ray Tanner (South Carolina AD) or a other AD with a HC job available might be thinking:

Chip Kelly, HC, Philadelphia Eagles — He’s one of football’s hottest offensive masterminds. Kelly’s a system recruiter and a good one at that. The Gamecocks would have to back a Brinks truck to his front door with a blank check. At least for now, Kelly feels unobtainable in Columbia, but he’s worth a call.

Mark Dantonio, HC, Michigan State — A star defensive back at South Carolina in the class of 1979, bringing Dantonio back to the SEC would be a tough sell for Tanner considering the coach’s extreme comfort level in East Lansing. Now in his ninth year, the two-time Big Ten Coach of the Year is 30-3 over the last 2.5 seasons with the Spartans. According to oddsmakers, he’s a long shot like Kelly.

Young guns

Tom Herman, HC, Houston — Have you seen Ohio State’s offense this season without its former offensive coordinator? The Buckeyes have noticeably back-tracked without a rhythm. Meanwhile, the reigning national assistant coach of the year is 5-0 with the Cougars and has received a verbal commitment from five-star prospect Ed Oliver for the 2016 class. Reminder, this is at Houston.

Jake Spavital, OC, Texas A&M — One of the nation’s youngest coordinators (30), Spavital’s helped establish Texas A&M’s Air Raid offense as the SEC’s most potent during his tenure. He’s learned route concepts and his tempo-driven offense from the likes of Dana Holgorsen (West Virginia), Gus Malzahn (Tulsa) and Kevin Sumlin. Most importantly, Spavital could also help the Gamecocks battle back in the East recruiting war against the likes of Georgia, Florida and Tennessee. Spavital has signed five-star quarterbacks in consecutive classes (Kyle Allen and Kyler Murray) and has a commitment from another for 2016.

Wild cards

Mike Gundy, HC, Oklahoma State — Two years ago, the “I’m a man, I’m 40” offensive juggernaut was real close to becoming Tennessee’s next head coach. He has spunk, he’s a proven winner and if the money’s right, I’d bet he would leave his alma-mater for a crack in the SEC. He’ll get a phone call.

Ed Orgeron, DL, LSU — Perhaps the most dynamic recruiter on this list, Orgeron has the proven power to go into any hotbed of prep talent in the SEC footprint and grab elite prospects. A defensive guru with a fiery Cajun demeanor, Orgeron’s coached at three different programs in the SEC (head coach at Ole Miss, assistant at Tennessee/LSU) and was USC’s interim head coach during the 2013 campaign.

Other rumor mill names include Charlie Strong (Texas HC), Kirby Smart (Alabama DC), Justin Fuente (Memphis HC) and Rich Rodriguez (Arizona HC).

I grew up in Maryland during the Jerry Claiborne years when the Terps were perennial powers. (Yes, for you kids out there, such a time did exist.) Even then nobody gave a flying fuck about Terp football. My family still lives in MD and to hear them talk you would be surprised that Maryland even has a football team. They care more about Navy for some reason.

My sense is that people in SC are much more interested in college football. The few times I went to Columbia for a game it was a pretty cool experience. The same cannot be said for a trip to woebegone Byrd Stadium.

If I were a coach I would much rather give it a shot at USC than at UMD. Just my perspective, of course.

Agree with this, but would add that different attributes attract different people. No doubt that S. Carolina has a more passionate football fanbase, but where does that rank on a coach's list of reason to choose one school over the other? To me that would not be very high, but it might be to some.

The first attribute generally is money. All coaches have agents, and the agents often steer the coach into certain decisions. The agent gets a higher fee if the contract is higher.

The second is ability to recruit and win consistently (which go hand in hand).

The third is probably whether the coach feels the AD/Administration will foster a good working environment for the football program.

After that, some coaches might be more attracted to the DC area over Columbia, SC others not. Some might love the idea of coaching in the SEC. Others might not. I don't think either the MD or S. Carolina jobs are great (and definitely not as good as each fanbase thinks it is).

Last edited:
Not to imply the Georgia Tech would even consider making a change after this season, but how hot is Paul Johnson's seat going into next season if the Jackets don't turn it around the 2nd half of this season?

I wouldn't be shocked at all to see DickRod bail on Arizona for SCar. It's what he does.

Not to imply the Georgia Tech would even consider making a change after this season, but how hot is Paul Johnson's seat going into next season if the Jackets don't turn it around the 2nd half of this season?

Paul Johnson just received an extension last year through 2020. The only coaches that earn more than Johnson in the ACC are Jimbo and Dabo.

If it wasn't for the eleven win season last year then he would probably be toast.

South Carolina ought to call Charlie Strong. He has an SEC background, spent 3 years in Columbia, and might be willing to jump given how fucked up the UT fanbase is at the moment. At the very least he could go from 1 more guaranteed year to about 4.

South Carolina ought to call Charlie Strong. He has an SEC background, spent 3 years in Columbia, and might be willing to jump given how fucked up the UT fanbase is at the moment. At the very least he could go from 1 more guaranteed year to about 4.

That would be kind of a middle finger move to all those good ole boy UT donors that didn't want him in the first place. I'd say good for Charlie if he did that.

Paul Johnson just received an extension last year through 2020. The only coaches that earn more than Johnson in the ACC are Jimbo and Dabo.

If it wasn't for the eleven win season last year then he would probably be toast.

GT won their ACC division and then crushed Miss State in the Orange Bowl last year. Realize that the 2015 GT season has been disappointing, but Johnson is not getting axed after one of the best seasons that GT football has had in the last 20 years.

GT won their ACC division and then crushed Miss State in the Orange Bowl last year. Realize that the 2015 GT season has been disappointing, but Johnson is not getting axed after one of the best seasons that GT football has had in the last 20 years.

Yeah he could lose out badly and be back next year, I was just wondering if his seat starts getting a little warm going into next year?

I agree with you that he isn't going to get fired. However in the four years before the Orange Bowl season, GT had an 28-25 overall record. Let's not pretend that he's been setting the world on fire at GT.

unless they live in the immediate Annapolis area or come from a Navy family....nah

unless they live in the immediate Annapolis area or come from a Navy family....nah

No one really gives a shit about Maryland football. Maryland could be good if they kept their players in state. The DC, Baltimore area is great for recruiting, but there is no fan base. Maryland is probably a better job than So. Car though.

Back