• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2015 Football Coaching Carousel: Southern Miss HC to Tampa Bay

No one really gives a shit about Maryland football. Maryland could be good if they kept their players in state. The DC, Baltimore area is great for recruiting, but there is no fan base. Maryland is probably a better job than So. Car though.

The depth of the fanbase is really overrated. You think anyone in the Dallas Fort Worth area cares about TCU football? Even in their home town, they are behind Texas, A&M (maybe even Oklahoma) and all of the pro sports Dallas offers. TCU had trouble drawing 25,000 to their games until a few years ago. Even with a top 5 team the last two years, they don't sell out their 40K stadium for every game.

Same case at Baylor. Until Chip Kelly built Oregon, they were just another state school with no juice. Miami was the dominant football program for 15 years with no fanbase and no home stadium. No doubt that there are schools with avid fanbases who will sell seats even if the team is mediocre (e.g., Tennessee, A&M, Notre Dame), but the size and ferocity of a fanbase is close to irrelevant to build a football program. Really think fans (big surprise) put far more emphasis on the importance of an avid following than coaches or players. Literally any Power 5 program can win and win big with the right coach.

Last edited:
Agree with this, but would add that different attributes attract different people. No doubt that S. Carolina has a more passionate football fanbase, but where does that rank on a coach's list of reason to choose one school over the other? To me that would not be very high, but it might be to some.

The first attribute generally is money. All coaches have agents, and the agents often steer the coach into certain decisions. The agent gets a higher fee if the contract is higher.

The second is ability to recruit and win consistently (which go hand in hand).

The third is probably whether the coach feels the AD/Administration will foster a good working environment for the football program.

After that, some coaches might be more attracted to the DC area over Columbia, SC others not. Some might love the idea of coaching in the SEC. Others might not. I don't think either the MD or S. Carolina jobs are great (and definitely not as good as each fanbase thinks it is).
South Carolina can beat Maryland on 1 (money) and 3 (working environment).....football is absolutely #1 at SC. Recruiting is a push. I don't think it's easy to recruit top players at either school. PennState and Clemson are tough to go up against.

As Spurrier once said, SC fans are most interested in beating Clemson, not necessarily getting an SEC title, so while the fans are pretty rapid down there, the expectations are not as high as a lot of other places in the SEC.

Both Holtz and Spurrier got memberships to Augusta too...and that was supposedly a big reason why Spurrier went there. Not sure MD can trump that one.

Going with the recent trends....Jim Tressel?

South Carolina can beat Maryland on 1 (money) and 3 (working environment).....football is absolutely #1 at SC. Recruiting is a push. I don't think it's easy to recruit top players at either school. PennState and Clemson are tough to go up against.

As Spurrier once said, SC fans are most interested in beating Clemson, not necessarily getting an SEC title, so while the fans are pretty rapid down there, the expectations are not as high as a lot of other places in the SEC.

Both Holtz and Spurrier got memberships to Augusta too...and that was supposedly a big reason why Spurrier went there. Not sure MD can trump that one.

Going with the recent trends....Jim Tressel?

Why don't you think a coach can recruit and win consistently at USC ?

Spurrier has only once had fewer than seven wins in a season (6 in 2007) in 10 seasons. He had a three year streak of 11-win seasons there between 2011 and 2013. He's also won four straight bowl games and went 6-4 against Clemson.

Spurrier has only once had fewer than seven wins in a season (6 in 2007) in 10 seasons. He had a three year streak of 11-win seasons there between 2011 and 2013. He's also won four straight bowl games and went 6-4 against Clemson.

UF and UT were both down. It's hard for S. Carolina because they are in the same division as UF, UT and UGA. Also, they play a couple of games against the SEC-W. Traditionally, S. Carolina has been terrible. It's not far fetched to think they will have trouble winning consistently.

Not saying someone can't recruit and win consistently at either SC or MD, just that it's probably about the same as far as difficulty goes. SC needed a big name like Spurrier. Joe Morrison was last coach prior to Spurrier to have a winning record..and he died in 1988. Holtz wasn't really able to do it consistently...and had an overall losing record.

Yes, Pilch, you are correct as usual. I was trying to say, if it were me (whose coaching career ended at the same time my sons were out of the Scarsdale rec league), I would go with USC. If I am a real college coach I probably go where they pay the most as I have a family to support like the rest of you. But the other considerations you mention could trump the money. All good observations.
Agree with this, but would add that different attributes attract different people. No doubt that S. Carolina has a more passionate football fanbase, but where does that rank on a coach's list of reason to choose one school over the other? To me that would not be very high, but it might be to some.

The first attribute generally is money. All coaches have agents, and the agents often steer the coach into certain decisions. The agent gets a higher fee if the contract is higher.

The second is ability to recruit and win consistently (which go hand in hand).

The third is probably whether the coach feels the AD/Administration will foster a good working environment for the football program.

After that, some coaches might be more attracted to the DC area over Columbia, SC others not. Some might love the idea of coaching in the SEC. Others might not. I don't think either the MD or S. Carolina jobs are great (and definitely not as good as each fanbase thinks it is).

UF and UT were both down. It's hard for S. Carolina because they are in the same division as UF, UT and UGA. Also, they play a couple of games against the SEC-W. Traditionally, S. Carolina has been terrible. It's not far fetched to think they will have trouble winning consistently.

Compared to Maryland with tOSU, Mich, Mich St, and Penn St in their division ?

Every school has trouble being a "consistent winner," but the right coach can do it at South Carolina. The bigger problem for USC right now is Clemson is rolling.

Not saying someone can't recruit and win consistently at either SC or MD, just that it's probably about the same as far as difficulty goes. SC needed a big name like Spurrier. Joe Morrison was last coach prior to Spurrier to have a winning record..and he died in 1988. Holtz wasn't really able to do it consistently...and had an overall losing record.

Lou went 0-11 his first year FFS.

Lou went 0-11 his first year FFS.
Then had 2 good years going 17-7 and 2 bowls. But that was followed by the last 3 years at 16-17 with no bowls and 2 losing records. He could never get back up to those 2 good years and recruiting lagged. There was a lot disappointment. The right coach can make it work and I think SC is the better situation.

Missouri owns the East.

Dantonio had a heart attack in 2010. Would be concerned about giving him a monster contract and expecting him to lead your program, and then losing it all to a massive myocardial infarction.

ESPN NFL show was talking up a Cowboys asst who spent ~5 years at both Clem and SC

Kind of unceremonious given all he's done for UCF.

Kind of unceremonious given all he's done for UCF.

College football is much better off without that piece of shit. How he survived the Plancher death continues to amaze me.

Back