• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2015 Football Coaching Carousel: Southern Miss HC to Tampa Bay

I don't know what that is, but I only saw that thing once or twice. I'm guessing it was shelved pretty quickly. I don't care that much who UVA gets as long as they get someone who makes the quality of football worth watching. I like Tech football better and was glad to see them get their guy. I'm more into UVA hoops than football - probably because I didn't like Welsh and despised Groh.

uva_mascot.png
WHAT. IS. THAT.

+1

In 2014, Miami had more NFL draft picks (7) than wins (6).

That's great news (you mean the 2015 draft). Florida State had 11 in that same draft. In 2013 Miami had two draft picks. CB Brandon McGee (St. Louis Rams, 5th round), RB Mike James (Tampa Bay Buccaneers, 6th round)

The 2014 NFL draft featured three draftees, a 3rd rounder (Brandon Linder, OG, JAX, solid, but on IR this year) , and a 6th rounder (O'Donnell, P, CHI) and 7th rounder (Seantrrell Henderson, RT, BUF, needs improvement). Alan Hurns wasn't even drafted.

As an FYI, only LSU (40) has more current NFL players than Miami (37 -- Bama is third with 34), even though Miami has achieved nothing of note in more than 10 years. The Canes still have a ton of talent, and South Florida will continue to produce studs for that program. Miami's issue has never been lack of talent. Just a series of dreadful coaches.

Miami also hadn't had a #1 draft pick since 2008. They had two in 2015 with Flowers and Dorsett. By contrast Wake Forest had two #1 draft picks between 2009 and 2015.

Georgia's had a little better draft success than Miami over the past three years, but then again, both schools are firing their coaches.

ETA: And draft success is obviously only one measure of talent. The depth at UGA, UF, and FSU is a lot better than the depth at UM over the past decade. But the depth at Georgia at more than a couple of positions isn't where it needs to be right now. You basically need about 20 solid offensive and defensive linemen to compete at the highest level and Pruitt's just gotten Georgia fully manned on the defensive side. OL still needs help. UM isn't anywhere close to that.

Last edited:
The Star-Telegram reports TCU-co-OC Doug Meacham will be named head coach at North Texas.

Mike Sanford looks to be heading to UVa. His bio and photo have been taken down from Notre Dame's official site.

2015 Football Coaching Carousel: USC Hires Clay Helton

BTW, Mark Richt has had 79 players drafted since 2002, more than any other coach.

BTW, Mark Richt has had 79 players drafted since 2002, more than any other coach.

# of coaches who have coached at a BCS level school every year from 2002 till now:

(Stoops, Ferentz, Miles, Richt, Snyder, Pinkel, Beamer)

Snyder sat out 2006,07,08. Only 3 will be back next year, and they were whispered about this season. I think the age of the lifetime coach is over.

UCF to hire Scott Frost. He was Syracuse's top choice. Guess he felt UCF has more potential as a stepping stone.

Mike Sanford looks to be heading to UVa. His bio and photo have been taken down from Notre Dame's official site.

https://www.dawgnation.com/football/team-news/richt-unlikely-to-jump-at-any-current-job-openings

Here's some speculation on Richt from a UGA perspective. Says he doesn't want Miami or Md@Alaska and UVA is the best current fit. Meanwhile, UVA fans are uniformly and vehemently against the apparently pending hiring of Sanford. I gotta agree it's risky.

Richt reports he has been contacted by up to 5 programs that have opening including South Carolina.

Also heard that SC has spoken with Will Muschamp. I am pretty sure SC had Kirby Smart in the bag when unexpectedly the GA job opened. Smart & his wife are GA grads.

Richt reports he has been contacted by up to 5 programs that have opening including South Carolina.

Also heard that SC has spoken with Will Muschamp. I am pretty sure SC had Kirby Smart in the bag when unexpectedly the GA job opened. Smart & his wife are GA grads.

Muschamp is a UGA grad and his wife is a Georgia native (Ole Miss grad).

I've heard that Smart wants to bring Muschamp or maybe keep Pruitt as DC but McGarity is balking on either of those guys (especially Priutt) and wants to bring in Mullen over Smart. I really think McGarity will soon find out that he's not actually in charge.

Meanwhile QB commit Jacob Eason has planned a visit to Florida.

Why not make proven head coaches tell you no first before going to Smart?

Why not make proven head coaches tell you no first before going to Smart?

It's taking a risk on an unknown vs. taking a risk on an also-ran.

I don't think Georgia would be looking at also-rans. We'd be talking about someone like Gary Patterson at TCU, or Freeze or Mullen. But ultimately, I think it's good to go with someone who knows the SEC recruiting trail as it pertains to Georgia/Florida/Alabama.

I don't think Georgia would be looking at also-rans. We'd be talking about someone like Gary Patterson at TCU, or Freeze or Mullen. But ultimately, I think it's good to go with someone who knows the SEC recruiting trail as it pertains to Georgia/Florida/Alabama.

IMO, Patterson and Freeze are pure fantasy (how many schools have tried to hire Patterson? And Freeze is making $4.5M in his home town). Mullen seems more likely, but not sure that he's a clear upgrade over Richt (not sure Freeze is either for that matter).

Georgia is a top 10 job at worst and they have a loaded cupboard. To go after Kirby Smart aka Muschamp part II is very dumb.

I'd hire Mullen before I hired Smart

Sustained success in Starkville is impressive

Back