• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official 2015-2016 Charlotte Hornets Thread - Batum & Marv back, Lin, Al & Lee gone

Yes, I don't know why you bring up this rule all the time that's hardly ever enforced.

For the first time, over half the teams are waaaaaay under it. For most of the past twenty years, this wasn't the case. The cap is going up nearly $30M in a couple of days and another $20M+ in two years. This is a completely unique off-season.

Sure, but it'd be something worth talking about when a team is $40mm under two weeks into FA not before it even starts. The consequence of the cap hike will not be teams struggling to hit the floor outside of the 76ers, it will be teams spending money like crazy.

Sure, but it'd be something worth talking about when a team is $40mm under two weeks into FA not before it even starts. The consequence of the cap hike will not be teams struggling to hit the floor outside of the 76ers, it will be teams spending money like crazy.

Like crazy is the operative term. I think teams that will do better long term (if they don't sign a true star) may be the ones who sign vets for $8-12M and then got after stars next year when it really explodes. If you can't get KD or a superstar, build your roster to get them next year.

Like crazy is the operative term. I think teams that will do better long term (if they don't sign a true star) may be the ones who sign vets for $8-12M and then got after stars next year when it really explodes. If you can't get KD or a superstar, build your roster to get them next year.

But you do that, in part, by taking financial risks on players with upside because the market has already overvalued most of the obvious players.

Some clown on espn.com wrote an article that mentioned that Marvin Williams may get $14mil/year. That still makes no sense to me from a cap perspective. ESPN put up a graphic that the team with the most cap room is the Lakers with about $60 mil. Even if they were the ones to sign him (which isn't saying they would, just using them as the example because they have the most room), why would they use up 1/4 of their cap room on Marvin Williams, especially if they are throwing max deals at Whiteside or Horford or Derozen? That makes no sense, unless there is really nobody else left to sign. Everyone keeps saying that everybody is going to get paid big bucks, but I can't see how some mid-level guys don't get squeezed back down, unless the mid-level guys sign 1-year deals to get bumped again when the cap goes up again next year.

Yeah it's gonna be interesting to see how this stuff actually shakes out. Hard to imagine some of the figures being bandied about for some players, but then again this is a league that had to impose contract lengths of 4 and 5 years to protect themselves from how perpetually stupid they are with contracts

Batum back for a max deal, as expected. Now let's see who else we can squeeze in. Personally I would prefer Lin over Marv, but I get why the organization reportedly has them flipped.

Batum back for a max deal, as expected. Now let's see who else we can squeeze in. Personally I would prefer Lin over Marv, but I get why the organization reportedly has them flipped.

Why does Charlotte want Marv over Lin? I don't know why Marvin would be desired for the team. I say let him walk (although if there's no backup in place then they'd be stuck). Personally, I think he's average at best, and the playoffs showed his age.

So right now it's Kemba, Batum, MKG and who else in the starting 5? Zeller? I wish Charlotte could make a splash in FA, but it won't happen.

Yeah I think they prioritize Marvin for that reason, so they can start Kemba, MKG, Batum, Marvin, Zeller, and don't have to start Frank. Marvin can switch a lot defensively in ways that Kaminsky can't yet, so Frank is better coming off the bench primarily for offense and can keep their overall 4-out 1-in style. So if Frank is on the bench then they need a starting PF, and Marvin fits their style better than any others available.

Lin is gone. Woj reporting he's signing with Brooklyn.

Looks like 3 for 36. Don't think the Hornets could bring him back for that anyway. Good for Lin.

Better Chinese food in NYC. We never had a chance.

Charlotte has more evangelical Christians though, so maybe we did have a chance with him.

But making more money gives him the opportunity to tithe a greater sum, even if he has to live in Sin City to do it.

Hornets probably should have kept Biz and not drafted Frank

Hot analysis!

Some clown on espn.com wrote an article that mentioned that Marvin Williams may get $14mil/year. That still makes no sense to me from a cap perspective. ESPN put up a graphic that the team with the most cap room is the Lakers with about $60 mil. Even if they were the ones to sign him (which isn't saying they would, just using them as the example because they have the most room), why would they use up 1/4 of their cap room on Marvin Williams, especially if they are throwing max deals at Whiteside or Horford or Derozen? That makes no sense, unless there is really nobody else left to sign. Everyone keeps saying that everybody is going to get paid big bucks, but I can't see how some mid-level guys don't get squeezed back down, unless the mid-level guys sign 1-year deals to get bumped again when the cap goes up again next year.

One year / $14 million would be an absolute steal for a 30-year old PF who can stretch the floor and switch the occasional pick and roll on defense.

Again, the cap is going up around $22-24 million. We've simply never seen that kind of increase, and it completely eviscerates any comparison with existing salaries under prior cap structures. $15 million / year is about to become the going rate for an average starter.

Yeah, I wouldn't mind giving Marvin more money per year to keep it down to a two year, maybe 3 year with a team option deal

Back