• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2015-2016 MLB Stove: Talk To Your Congressman About Stopping DH Expansion

As happy as I am to loot the Cards, they will also have at least two picks in the first round now, maybe 3 depending on who they sign in FA. They seem miserable at getting players to sign FA deals, but they are amazing at drafting and grooming players.

The great thing is, they can play fine with the team they have, use Zo and Baez as super subs and likely get each of them at least 130+ games

Yeah I don't think this will be a problem at all with how much Maddon changes up his lineup game to game. Zobrist in particular is the perfect fit for a team he's managing

The Phillies added a SS prospect to the Ken Giles deal, and the OF they were getting from the Astros turned into Mark Appel. So that's interesting.

The Phillies added a SS prospect to the Ken Giles deal, and the OF they were getting from the Astros turned into Mark Appel. So that's interesting.

That's a haul for a relief pitcher, no?

Appel is a bit of a wild card and the Astros apparently like the SS prospect they got back. But yeah, I'm pretty happy.

And hey, add another to the list of prospect debuts we may see in Philly this year!

Appel is a bit of a wild card and the Astros apparently like the SS prospect they got back. But yeah, I'm pretty happy.

And hey, add another to the list of prospect debuts we may see in Philly this year!

It's all super weird.

I think most prospect hounds like Derek Fisher more than Mark Appel at this point, but Appel is still a big-bodied pitcher with a (sometimes) fantastic fastball and a (sometimes) fantastic slider. Derek Fisher isn't exactly great shakes either, but man, Appel had a fall from grace last year.

I thought I saw the deal got altered once medicals starting getting exchanged. Kind of wonder which player involved had issues.

Giants sign Cueto for 6/$130 with an opt out following year 2. He has enough hair to fit in with SF.

2 year opt out is interesting.
Saying it's maybe to avoid the monster FA class he would enter with a 3-year opt yet.

The number of articles this week salivating on the 2018-2019 FA class three years in advance is a bit dumb.

Saying it's maybe to avoid the monster FA class he would enter with a 3-year opt yet.

The number of articles this week salivating on the 2018-2019 FA class three years in advance is a bit dumb.

This. Especially with the trend of teams locking up young players long-term.

The two year opt out is interesting from the Giants perspective as well... if Cueto is healthy and pitches well (and he'll have AT&T Park to help him out), they get one of the top free agents without a long-term commitment. (Obviously those are some big ifs.)

Jose Fernandez sounds totally excited to be a Miami Marlin

I kind of hope Jose Fernandez doesn't get traded soon, because this drama is entertaining.

So, serious proposal for you Cubbies:

Fish send Jose and Ozua to Chicago; Cubs send Baez, Soler, and Rizzo.

I know including Rizzo hurts, but you can slide Schwarber to first and cover put Almora/Coghlan in LF. Or sign a FA to cover the OF spot. Or put Vogelbach at first (probably not ready). Or try Alcantara at third and move Bryant to first. Anyway, the point is, you can cover the loss of Rizzo, you gain Ozuna to cover CF and add 25+ HR and get an ace for the rotation. Miami gets rid of Jose (I hate our ownership so much), plus they 2 young players and an already established player. Seems like a fair trade to me, both teams give up more than they'd like, but also get better over the long haul. Or am I just crazy?

Rizzo is untouchable - 26 years old on a 6/$57 contract.

Baez, Soler, torres plus maybe another pitcher like Johnson or Underwood would be a possibility, but still probably out of the Cubs range. I would doubt they trade both Baez and Soler, but its possible.

I am coming around on Inciarte for Soler and think the Braves are correct to ask for Soler + and then just figure out moving a corner outfielder.

Last edited:
I know Rizzo is a big ask, but so is Jose. Though, I hadn't yet heard of Torres, so maybe him and a pitcher (probably 2) and I think that deal gets done (assuming Baez/Soler still in trade). Seems to me like the Cubs are ready for a big push to break the Curse in the next 1-3 seasons, adding Jose, even at the cost of the future or Rizzo, would be worth it.

I am coming around on Inciarte for Soler and think the Braves are correct to ask for Soler + and then just figure out moving a corner outfielder.

I think I would be ok with this, probably giving up too much for a defense first CF, and I would prefer someone that has decent defense, but a solid bat too - but this would allow Schwarber to basically play on the left field line and minimize what he has to do, which is a win.

Also, agree that Inciarte has a better history and higher floor than Soler, so the Braves should sell high.

I know Rizzo is a big ask, but so is Jose. Though, I hadn't yet heard of Torres, so maybe him and a pitcher (probably 2) and I think that deal gets done (assuming Baez/Soler still in trade). Seems to me like the Cubs are ready for a big push to break the Curse in the next 1-3 seasons, adding Jose, even at the cost of the future or Rizzo, would be worth it.

Rizzo is the vocal and physical leader of the team, though, so that would be a really tough loss - also he is beloved by the front office. Not saying your trade is bad in terms of talent for talent, but I would doubt Epstein would take a Fernandez for Rizzo straight up offer.

My guess is the offers they have sent over have one of Soler/Baez and two lesser pieces - also, Hammel would likely have to be in the trade back, or something would have to be in place for him to make the move. Everyone is saying the Cubs aren't done, so there is a chance they up this, but I think the Fish have to come down - the worst thing for the Fernandez trade market is the DBags giving up the world for Shelby Miller.

Back