• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2015-2016 MLB Stove: Talk To Your Congressman About Stopping DH Expansion

Generally agree as one of the key reasons to trade Escobar is that they wanted to get more left-handed as the Nats' lineup is dominated by right-handed bats (and Escobar makes about half of what Phillps does). That said, Escobar's defense has regressed to the point where he was a huge liability in the field. Phillips is not as strong defensively as he was a few years ago, but he would still be a big defensive upgrade over Escobar. Would think that the Nats only make the trade if the Reds eat some of the $27 million owed Phillips over the next two years, or if the Reds agree to take Papelbon and the $11 million owed to him next year.

I think trading Escobar after his solid year was probably the right move, although I don't know much about Trevor Gott (they certainly needed bullpen help, though). This allowed Rendon to move back to 3B.

Adding Phillips is kind of an "eh" move since I'm guessing the Reds eat some money and the prospects going back to the Reds would be middle tier guys. I don't really understand adding a low OBP, RH bat though. I'm going to assume they don't want to lose a year of control with Turner and start him opening day, and Daniel Murphy was going to cost too much.

I really don't like their lineup now, though. One true LH bat and then Espinosa (.232/.300/.409 as LH). Looking at starting five guys with below average/poor OBP and a manager who doesn't particularly value OBP.

The Nats aren't done. They were ready to spend boatload on Heyward and/or Zobrist; adding Phillips (particularly if the Reds are paying part of his salary) does not end the Nats' off-season acquisitions. They will add a left-handed OF bat. Wouldn't be shocked to Denard Span resigned if they are convinced that he's healthy.

The Rangers signed Matt Bush because, well, I'm not really sure, maybe so he can learn from Josh Hamilton? Oh, wait, maybe not.

Jonathan Papelbon's updated no-trade list for 2016

lol at Philly. Smart, obviously, but lols nonetheless.

don't know whether its Papelbon or his agent who is smart, but putting teams who wouldn't take him under any circumstances on the "OK to trade me there" list ups the chances he can get something to waive the "no trade" restriction. Maybe some more $$$ or maybe another year on his deal.

Mike Leake to the Cards for 5 years, $80MM.

Almost as bad as the "Wake Up" puns whenever we used to lose as a ranked team.

Leake is going to wear uniform number 8 for the Cardinals. I read something this morning about how rare it is for a pitcher to wear a single digit number. I never really noticed. Apparently it's one of the old-timey baseball traditions.

Speaking of numbers, Addison Russell is giving up #22 to Heyward, and he is taking #27 because he loves Eddie George. Yep.

Got a decent baseball trivia book for xmas:

What former NL MVP was the first player to hit a homerun in three different no-hitters?

Chapman to Yankees. I guess depending on his suspension length it is possible Chapman's free agency gets delayed a year. Given the underwhelming return, I probably would have just waited to deal him were I the Reds.

Weird move for the Reds, but the yanks should have a dominant 7/8/9 once he is back.

This has been the saddest offseason for the Reds. We keep giving up fan favorite home grown players in underwhelming trades for B grade prospects.

Scott Kazmir to the Dodgers on a 3/$48 contract.

So, that means potentially the Dodgers could run out an all lefty rotation, and they also gave Kazmir an opt out after one year. A really weird signing.

This has been the saddest offseason for the Reds. We keep giving up fan favorite home grown players in underwhelming trades for B grade prospects.

well you also shed a wife beater, soooo.....

the yankees are going for all-time unlikable squad this year. well played.

Haha, I have been laughing at these all day. Dan is great when he is bored, he tweets awesome stuff

Back