• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2015-2016 MLB Stove: Talk To Your Congressman About Stopping DH Expansion

We have more of an infield logjam - but the Cubs are dangling Soler all over the place, I think they are worried he is too inconsistent. Any non-pitcher not named Rizzo, Bryant, Schwarber or Russell could be moved, including our whole farm system. Theo said 2016 was our year from the get go, so we'll see. I have my doubts they have the $$ to get Price, but you never know, that playoff run may open up the pocketbook.

I could see the Cubs trading Schwarber. His stock will never be higher, and he is controllable for 5 more years. The problem with Schwarber is that unless the NL adopts the DH, he is a below MLB defender at catcher or OF. Not saying the Cubs should give him away, but the Cubs would receive a haul in return for a player that is simply more valuable in the AL than the NL. Realize that he is beloved right now by the fanbase, and that may make him untouchable, but good MLB teams sell high.

Last edited:
how would they not have the $$$ ? they have pretty unlimited budget. Rays could use someone at any position offensively in aall honesty. I was looking at guys like Happ, Almorea and Mckinney...and i still have Schwarber as an OF in my head...

New owner, not unlimited budget - the only reason they were able to sign Lester last year was because they had a bunch of money left over from missing out on Tanaka. It will be a stretch to get Price in - if I had to bet, better odds we trade for a controllable pitcher versus give Price that kind of money. But, you never know.

Happ, Almora and McKinney are all likely at least 2 years away, unless something crazy happens. Just a guess, but Happ has the stuff to be the best of 3 - and think he can come up fast.

I could see the Cubs trading Schwarber. His stock will never be higher, and he is controllable for 5 more years. The problem with Schwarber is that unless the NL adopts the DH, he is a below MLB defender at catcher or OF. Not saying the Cubs should give him away, but the Cubs would receive a haul in return for a player that is simply more valuable in the AL than the NL. Realize that he is beloved right now by the fanbase, and that may make him untouchable, but good MLB teams sell high.

I agree with your point about selling high, but I would guess he could become a league average LF - just needs some reps, he never played OF until after he got called up. Cubs are going to give him a shot at C in 2017, most likely, unless they move Montero now, but that seems like a bad idea right now.

New owner, not unlimited budget - the only reason they were able to sign Lester last year was because they had a bunch of money left over from missing out on Tanaka. It will be a stretch to get Price in - if I had to bet, better odds we trade for a controllable pitcher versus give Price that kind of money. But, you never know.

Happ, Almora and McKinney are all likely at least 2 years away, unless something crazy happens. Just a guess, but Happ has the stuff to be the best of 3 - and think he can come up fast.

the cubs have as much money as anyone.

id have loved some baez/schwarber/starlin combo for karns+. i'd say soler also but our of is already pretty deep.

There very few GMs that would have the heartless and soul-less mindset to trade Schwarber right now if it was rationally net positive move for the team. Billy Beane would do it. Theo might. Not many others have the ability to think like that when a player is so popular.

Heyman just threw out the idea of trading Stephen Strasburg for Andrew Miller. That seems ludicrous to me for a lot of reasons, I also can't imagine the Nats ever doing that.

very strange considering heyman is a boras mouthpiece.

the cubs have as much money as anyone.

id have loved some baez/schwarber/starlin combo for karns+. i'd say soler also but our of is already pretty deep.

Potentially as much money, they pushed over their limit last year and owe a ton of money for going over their IFA budget - just depends on how far the ownership is willing to go. They have had ceilings the last few years, but I hope they spend too, just not getting my hopes up based on Hoyers recent statements.

dang, Tommy Hanson died. Massive organ failure.

Yep. May mean Strasburg wants out. Concerns over playing for Baker?

Really doubt that Strasburg would want to play in NY. He has a hard time with the soft and friendly media in DC. Don't see how he could handle NY. Boras has such a strong relationship with the Nats owners that he has and will continue to dictate how Strasburg is used through ownership. Boras doesn't have that kind of influence on any other MLB franchise.

been doing a lot of noodling on the brad miller deal, and i'm pretty excited. for one, if you told me jose lobaton gets me brad miller before the 2014 season i'd be pumped. turns out he got us a year of an average starter and then brad miller once the shine had dulled. the rays positional depth next year is going to be really strong (except catcher... ugh).

1B Loney, LoMo
2B Forsythe
SS Miller
3B Longroia, Shaffer
MIF Beckham, Franklin, Brett
OF: Kiermaier, Jennings, Mahtook, Guyer, Souza, Nava

boog powell would have been part of that but a tweener cof with cost control is not something rays are hankering for. if we actually have a 3-win ss again to pair with longo and forsythe we could be looking at a pretty good team. given that and the redic record in extras last year has me feeling pretty good about next year.

been doing a lot of noodling on the brad miller deal, and i'm pretty excited. for one, if you told me jose lobaton gets me brad miller before the 2014 season i'd be pumped. turns out he got us a year of an average starter and then brad miller once the shine had dulled. the rays positional depth next year is going to be really strong (except catcher... ugh).

1B Loney, LoMo
2B Forsythe
SS Miller
3B Longroia, Shaffer

boog powell would have been part of that but a tweener cof with cost control is not something rays are hankering for. if we actually have a 3-win ss again to pair with longo and forsythe we could be looking at a pretty good team. given that and the redic record in extras last year has me feeling pretty good about next year.

Outfield is looking stronger than i expected. I still don't know what to expect out of Souza... and I think I'm done with the Jennings thing. Mahtook, Kiermaier Souza and guyer, i like. Key for next year is if Longo can relax and just play instead of feeling like he has to carry everything. I really think he has pressed way too much

1B Loney, LoMo
2B Forsythe
SS Miller
3B Longroia, Shaffer

any deal that results in less playing time for fat beckham is good

Reds want to go full rebuild, are putting everyone on their team on the block - interested to see if there are any takers for Votto with 8/$200 left.

Lance Lynn out for the year after tommy john - they are going to be a player in the SP market - my guess is they resign Lackey and go for another mid level pitcher and he somehow turns into a cy young candidate and then they are going to sign Delmon Young and he is going to turn into an all star, gold glove right fielder.

Looking forward to seeing Park do this in Minnesota next year

byung.gif

Reds want to go full rebuild, are putting everyone on their team on the block - interested to see if there are any takers for Votto with 8/$200 left.

OK, checking out that contract, the Reds signed Votto to a ten year deal two years before his current contract was up? Am I reading that correctly?

I searched to see what the boards baseball gurus thought at the time and only found one that gave an actual opinion:

What do you guys think of the Votto extension? I think it's dumb on an epic, Ryan Howard level, probably even dumber.

ETA, even with comparison to the dumb 25/yr deal howard got, at least howard was a free agent. same deal with the mega-deals for Pujols and Fielder this season.

seems like you've tied up all yer money now.

Twins trade Aaron Hicks to the Yanks for John Ryan Murphy.

Hoping this means that they trade Gardner to the Cubs.

Back