• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

College Bball Thread

Networks

big 10 network is owned by fox i think. same as pac 12. sec network owned by espn. acc netowrk to be owned by espn if it ever happens

Actually this is not accurate.

The Big 10 Network is jointly owned by Fox Sports (51%) and the Big 10 (49%).
The Pac 12 network is wholly owned by the Pac-12.
The SEC Network is owned 80% by ESPN and 20% by the Hearst Corporation.

ACC Network would be modeled similar to the SEC Network.

Each of these setups has different strengths and weaknesses.
PAC 12 doesn't have to share the money with anyone - but is also responsible for all costs and creating carriage. That has been an issue as the network has yet to turn a profit.

ESPN is basically responsible for the costs and carriage for the SEC - but the payouts are different, instead if getting all the money, like the PAC 12 will eventually get (they hope), the SEC is given a set payment based on total revenue. ESPN gets to keep the rest.

Bog 10 is sort of in between. They have some responsibly for costs, but also would get more of the revenue.

RamblinRed

Thanks. The SEC model is the best in the current climate but there's no way the ACC gets even close to the payout of the SEC.

Hofstra defeats FSU. ACC shame is shared by us all.

So this is kind of late, but I walked my way into free tickets to the UNC-Wofford game this past Wednesday (a friend has season tickets that are half court five rows up, so it was tough to turn them down), so I decided to go as a neutral observer/Wofford band wagoner for the night since I didn't have anything better to do. This was my first trip to the Dean Dome for a game and I was surprised by how dumpy it is. The seats are filthy, the bathrooms are gross, and there was garbage everywhere. It's basically an indoor Kenan minus the riffraff covered in camo UNC gear. I was also surprised by the lack of attendance considering that they're ranked #1. I know they were playing Wofford, so I wasn't expecting it to be packed out, but the lower bowl wasn't even close to being full (it was probably less than half full). I'll be going back when we play there in January, but, honestly, it's pretty shitty. With how much money that program pulls in you would think that the Dean Dome would be a little bit nicer.

On another note, the fans there suck. It's like watching basketball in a church. Maybe nostalgia is influencing my recollection of the crowds at bb games when I was a student, but the Joel had a way better atmosphere than what I saw at CH, even for the early season games. I know this isn't the case at the Joel right now (At least from what I can tell on TV and what I read here. I've only been back for two games since I graduated.), but I was still very surprised with by the lack of fans and noise.

It's always been a church. I had great seats for a Maryland game there fivish years ago and we were constantly being told to sit down and be quiet. I think it has something to do with the boosters being OWGs and getting 80% of the lowers.

What happens when good mid-major teams actually get a chance to play the big boys on their home floor

Lol silly unc #1 is for schools at which the players go to class

Back