• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

BBall Recruiting Thread 2k17-Chaundee Brown commits to WAKE! Brandon Randolph to AZ

CUrKYIDWIAAORDi.jpg

Reactions: BDL
BBall Recruiting Thread 2k17- Class of 2016 sign NLIs; Onward!

Wonder who's footing the bill for HG at Forest Trail. I hope the NCAA denies credit for his senior year and he becomes ineligible. Kid is getting some horrible advice from either K or an agent.

Why isn't there a speed metric for basketball recruits similar to the 40 yd sprint time for football players? I would think something along the lines of 75 foot (25 yard) sprint, and or similar distance dribbling a basketball would be a useful metric. 80 feet is the distance from low block to low block on the BB court, so that might be another useful distance. Or 56 feet - foul line to foul line.

Wonder who's footing the bill for HG at Forest Trail. I hope the NCAA denies credit for his senior year and he becomes ineligible. Kid is getting some horrible advice from either K or an agent.

whole thing seems sketchy

Why isn't there a speed metric for basketball recruits similar to the 40 yd sprint time for football players? I would think something along the lines of 75 foot (25 yard) sprint, and or similar distance dribbling a basketball would be a useful metric. 80 feet is the distance from low block to low block on the BB court, so that might be another useful distance. Or 56 feet - foul line to foul line.

There is vertical jump, which is probably more informative to be able to rebound and get shots off, and as a surrogate of overall athleticism. It's the rare scenario where raw speed gets you a basket. Quickness (IMHO) is much more important than speed. Individual teams will do (and time) cone drills that help measure quickness, but you are right that those types of times aren't part of the typical recruiting portfolio. Maybe because they can be so much more subjective with more leeway to allow cutting corners (pun kind of intended) to cut time.

eta: "rare" is a bit strong when describing how often speed gets a basket, as there are obviously several fast break instances where it can help each game. On most possessions it isn't as crucial if the defense gets back and helps out appropriately.

Last edited:
Isn't HG out for the year ? Who gives a fuck where he goes to finish up high school. Might as well be closer to home.

Like online from his basement?

Mom. MOM! The meatloaf. Now! I want some meatloaf nooow!

Isn't HG out for the year ? Who gives a fuck where he goes to finish up high school. Might as well be closer to home.

We all secretly (or not) hope he is academically ineligible to play at Duke. So his transferring to a sketchy school increased this possibility. Probably doesn't belong on this thread though.

shuttle run?

Word is that Giles is below the GPA threshold required to play collegiate athletics. There is serious concern about his eligibility, particularly at Duke. He needs to get his GPA up or he won't be at Duke (or any college) next year.

Yeah, we backed off of Giles because of academics. Duke will take anybody, get them eligible with some summer school classes and the bare minimum in the fall, then have them take independent studies in the spring. I'm glad we passed on him.

shuttle run?

But how often do you see a shuttle run time posted for a recruit? 40 times for FB recruits are posted right along with height and weight.

What originally brought this question to mind was a comment that Ish Smith has "elite speed" even for the NBA. So, what measurement was used to determine that?

But how often do you see a shuttle run time posted for a recruit? 40 times for FB recruits are posted right along with height and weight.

What originally brought this question to mind was a comment that Ish Smith has "elite speed" even for the NBA. So, what measurement was used to determine that?

I think it just comes from the games that they play. To evaluate a football recruit, you have such a small sample size to work with (approx. 30 high school games if the kid has played varsity for three years and only about 20 before you start thinking about an offer). That's not a lot to go off of when you are trying to evaluate someone's play, so you supplement that with combine-style measurements. Because of the way high school football works, you need to level the playing field with those times and measurements because it's tougher to control for the talent you play against. Basketball is a different story because you're talking about 20-25 HS games per season, plus AAU ball so it's possible for a recruit to have close to 200 games to evaluate them on (easily over 100 by the end of their junior HS and AAU seasons). AAU, as corrupt as it is, helps to control for talent disparities in a way that football can't (i.e., your best HS basketball players typically play on the best AAU teams, which, in turn, play against other top talent to measure players against each other).

TL;DR Sample sizes and control over competition

Word is that Giles is below the GPA threshold required to play collegiate athletics. There is serious concern about his eligibility, particularly at Duke. He needs to get his GPA up or he won't be at Duke (or any college) next year.

this would be hilarious and awesome as a Wake fan. Play in Greece, Harry!

This would be shocking. Not b/c he's a good student, but I figured he would get enough help to have a decent GPA. I was concerned about his ACT/SAT scores, though. If his GPA is really that low, he will need an even higher ACT/SAT scores to be elgible.

WCA is a tough school, but maybe this new school will just give him all A's. Again, NCAA will be watching.

Back