• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Turkey shot down a Russian jet

Turkey and Greece were added during the Cold War in the 50s because of their strong anti-Commie governments. Their geographic position far from the Atlantic was almost entirely the point - they were supposed to be a bulwark against the spread of the Soviet Union.

Cool, thanks. That's more or less what I had assumed.

"Atlantic" doesn't mean what it used to mean.

This is as good a time as a reminder as any - Russia's SU-24's are using badly outdated avionics to the point where pilots are just buying commercial handheld GPS and rubber banding them to their HUD's.

That is just... wow. Stunning.

I just finished watching Putin with the King of Jordan, when he reacted to the Russian plane being shot down. Vlad is really a very intense guy, who remains comically uncomfortable in any formal protocol situations. I wonder what he's on. Anybody ever hear anything about what he might be taking? And oh yeah, he definitely needs a new tailor. Come on Vlad, you are the president of an important country. You can't go around in an ill-fitting cheap suit, meeting royalty and such.

"Atlantic" doesn't mean what it used to mean.

Cleary they are in the Coastal division.

images

I just finished watching Putin with the King of Jordan, when he reacted to the Russian plane being shot down. Vlad is really a very intense guy, who remains comically uncomfortable in any formal protocol situations. I wonder what he's on. Anybody ever hear anything about what he might be taking? And oh yeah, he definitely needs a new tailor. Come on Vlad, you are the president of an important country. You can't go around in an ill-fitting cheap suit, meeting royalty and such.

Well, the U.S. (or at least the Pentagon) believes he has aspergers.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/feb/05/vladimir-putin-aspergers-syndrome-pentagon-studies

Let's start with getting him to wear a shirt, then we can progress towards a suit.

What a mess. Russia claiming they were attacking Chechnyan terrorists. Turkey saying they were Turkmen rebel fighters. Doesn't't help that the pilots ejected and were shot while parachuting. Turkey is also being accused of assisting ISIS fighters by Russia, both logistically and financially.

And this is why "I'll make a coalition and go get ISIS" is such hollow talk from so many. Our strongest allies in the region Turkey (NATO member) and Saudi Arabia are embroiled in long term conflicts (Turkey against Kurdish nationalists and Saudi Arabia against Shi'a forces as a proxy for Iran) within the region with their own priorities and directly intervening in the Syria conflict effectively means those two have to make peace in those areas. Russia dropping a bunch of cheap dumb bombs (they aren't using their smart munitions because those are expensive) from Vietnam era aircraft on Turkish "allies" within Syria was never going to end well.

Tags better than expected. Give yourselves a hand.

This should be a red line for Obama. He should boycott turkey on Thursday in protest of this intolerable conduct.

This should be a red line for Obama. He should boycott turkey on Thursday in protest of this intolerable conduct.

We need to stop avoiding the obvious here: The shrinking of the polar ice caps caused the shootdown of this plane. Way to go, Climate Change.

I can tell you that Erdogan is not very well liked by the younger crowd in Turkey. When I visited Istanbul 2 years ago I remember getting an overall feeling that he was too conservative.

Real question, have you ever seen "The Longest Day"? It's been happening as long as there have been parachutes.

It has been happening, but your analogy to the events depicted in The Longest Day is inapt. People who parachute from a plane in distress are provided protections not afforded to airborne troops. Killing the parachutist who ejected from that fighter is a war crime; killing enemy paratroopers still in the air is not.

Back