• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The next generation of Wake QB should be Hinton

I really try not to criticize our kids, particularly during the season, and in Wolford's case particularly after his paying the dues he paid all of last season. Coach has given him all of this season to show he can do what it takes to win, and after last season the kid deserved that opportunity.

The Duke game concluded not only this season but any entitlement of Wolford to that opportunity. Hinton makes mistakes too, but he also gives us opportunities to win that Wolford hasn't this year. I am assuming we'll see a lot of Hinton next season, unless Kearns moves him out.

Wolford isn't fast enough to be so short. His ceiling is average College QB. Agree with the above, that Hinton looks like he could end up being a great QB for us. The future is bright.

Hinton still struggles with reading defenses, setting the protections and with his throwing mechanics which leads to a little more inaccuracy than the staff would like. Certainly everyone sees what an electric player he could be but until these areas improve, I do not think this staff will start him (hence the targeted packages). I do not know the actual number but I know the staff attributes a pretty high percentage of Wolford's interceptions to mistakes by the receivers.

Hinton still struggles with reading defenses, setting the protections and with his throwing mechanics which leads to a little more inaccuracy than the staff would like. Certainly everyone sees what an electric player he could be but until these areas improve, I do not think this staff will start him (hence the targeted packages). I do not know the actual number but I know the staff attributes a pretty high percentage of Wolford's interceptions to mistakes by the receivers.

Couple of things, Hinton was a true freshman this year, he really should've been holding a clipboard and learning if we'd have had a normal QB situation. Also, the staff needs to develop those areas in the offseason. Hinton showed he can throw the football, he's not one of these super athletes that coaches stick at QB to experiment, but can't throw the ball a lick. He's a QB that is also a great athlete, develop it and run with it.

So Hintons deficiencies can all be fixed with the right coaching. You can't coach speed. Wolford has started two seasons and is still making the same "Freshman mistakes" that lose us ball games. If Hinton were given the opportunity to run the team for two seasons, I'd imagine he'd learn to read the defense and increase his throwing accuracy.

So Hintons deficiencies can all be fixed with the right coaching. You can't coach speed. Wolford has started two seasons and is still making the same "Freshman mistakes" that lose us ball games. If Hinton were given the opportunity to run the team for two seasons, I'd imagine he'd learn to read the defense and increase his throwing accuracy.

Maybe? Not all quarterbacks make that transition as our QB history at Wake clearly demonstrates. I do not have a horse in this race but think it overly optimistic to expect Hinton to make all these improvements in one offseason. Clawson clearly prefers a QB who can operate predominately from the pocket.

Hinton's throwing accuracy isn't that much different than Wolford's against similar competition. The big difference is Wolford has a few more yards per pass and Hinton has a lot more rushing yards.

I don't think either one of them is the answer. Even Hinton is too small especially if he wants to run. Wolford is a super player, but is just too small for this level. Too slow to be small is right. Both gutsy kids who make some great plays,but I don't see them surviving running this offense.

Some of the interceptions this year have come because of poor receiver actions. One yesterday and especially a most critical one, late in the loss to L-ville. On some plays the receiver has to become a defender and not let an interception happen, especially if they are in a position to do so. Even if they interfere, a 15 yd penalty is better than a turn-over.

I wonder if some are making a similar error in reasoning with Hinton this year as was made with Wolford last year. My impression was that some made the leap that because even a good quarterback could struggle as a true Freshman behind a weak line, Wolford was a good quarterback. At least, I felt some gave him a bit too much credit before he actually earned and proved it. I think what was fair was that he did not seem to be that special QB that could elevate above the situation around him and lift the team up with him. He also did seem to have some skills and toughness that could be part of a successful offense with continued development and better support. But he wasn't, and we weren't, there yet.
I now wonder if some are making the leap from feeling that because Wolford isn't the answer we are looking for, that Hinton (as the alternative) must be. The ol' "back up Frosh QB is the most popular player among fans".
I don't mean to discount what we have seen from Hinton. I agree with those that feel he may have some great potential. I just haven't seen it realized yet. He does at least a few things very well. That shows pretty well in limited time. The flaws are also not so overwhelming when viewed in limited time and relative to another player that is not obviously superior. If you are looking for flashes of someone who can lead us to the next level, you remember the big plays. As the main guy, he will have to do several things well and consistently. We haven't seen that yet. Hopefully those flashes are a good representation of what we will see as he matures into a leader and prolific quarterback.

Wolford played the entire season last year. He showed he was a mediocre QB. People gave him the benefit of the doubt because of OL issues. Now they see his limitations.

Hinton adds a lot to our offense. He was our leading rusher going into the Duke game, sacks and all. He's the first Wake QB or RB to average over 4 yards a carry since Josh Harris in 2012.

Take out Wolford's 4 TDs vs Elon. Hinton had 11 (4 pass, 7 rush) and Wolford had 8 (6 pass, 2 rush).

Sitting our most dynamic offensive player in favor of a mediocre QB makes little sense.

Hinton might not be good but we know Wolford isn't good

I don't know that Wolford isn't good; in the right setup Wolford might be better than good. I just know we couldn't win with him this year, even against Duke, and that Hinton's speed and quickness gives us more opportunities to win.

Whoever starts at QB next year will benefit from a better O-line and hopefully a better running attack...And I believe Newman. 6'4" 230, who is a decent runner gives Wake QB a different look in competition....
'

we seem to be forgetting about jamie newman, a 6'4 3 star dual threat qb enrolling early as well. serious chance to steal the starting job

we seem to be forgetting about jamie newman, a 6'4 3 star dual threat qb enrolling early as well. serious chance to steal the starting job

Heard he's pretty raw and will need some developing. Honestly I hope we don't have to resort to starting another true freshman QB, but hey if he's good to win the job, so be it.

Heard he's pretty raw and will need some developing. Honestly I hope we don't have to resort to starting another true freshman QB, but hey if he's good to win the job, so be it.

I'd much rather he redshirt if it's even close.

Back