• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wolford

Don't forget about Tyler Bell, I think he's improved as the season has gone on, probably had his best game today. Also, I hear good things about true freshman receiver Scotty Washington as well.

Washington is a big dude, and you're right. We have the skill positions now, and I'm very excited for Rocky. We need a qb who can really take advantage of these weapons.

Here's another thing. We have a very legit group of receivers next year. Lewis (who has a chance to be special), Wade, Hines, Harris, Claude, and then Cam who is a stud at tight end. Rocky and Colburn at rb. Our offense will be skilled and athletic. We need a qb who can get these guys the ball and not be the weak spot. It's not Wolford.

Wolford did throw for 338 yards on 66% today, so to say that he can't get the WR/TEs the ball is pretty stupid. His problem is the 2-3 disastrous plays a game that just kill us. Today may have been the best the offense has looked all season long - the running game actually clicked a little bit and plenty of yards through the air. Take away a couple of the TOs and dropped passes, and maybe the result is different. At some point, we need the defense to make some big plays as well. No forced TOs yet again, and pretty much much no stops for short fields. Wolford and Hinton both have had far worse games this year.

I think Hinton is likely QB1 next year because he can run, but it's hard for me to be overly critical of Wolford when last year he ran for his life and had no running game, and this year, while improved, it's not like the o-line play was even mediocre. If had average o-line play, then maybe we are singing a different tune.

I think Hinton is likely QB1 next year because he can run, but it's hard for me to be overly critical of Wolford when last year he ran for his life and had no running game, and this year, while improved, it's not like the o-line play was even mediocre. If had average o-line play, then maybe we are singing a different tune.

I've said that all year, but he had adequate time to throw today for the most part and he still made the mistakes that cost us the game. John didn't lose my respect today for being a tough guy and a competitor, but he did lose my confidence today that he is the QB for us going forward.

I've said that all year, but he had adequate time to throw today for the most part and he still made the mistakes that cost us the game. John didn't lose my respect today for being a tough guy and a competitor, but he did lose my confidence today that he is the QB for us going forward.

That's fair. And Hinton will probably turn the ball over a lot next year, but he will also make more big plays, which is basically how we have to score b/c we can't make a sustained drive.

That's fair. And Hinton will probably turn the ball over a lot next year, but he will also make more big plays, which is basically how we have to score b/c we can't make a sustained drive.

One thing that Hinton needs to learn is that it's okay to throw the ball away. His biggest problem this year was throwing some up for grabs.

He looked shell shocked on the sidelines late in the game Saturday.

Well, I'm sure he realized and hated the fact that his mistakes went a long way into us losing Saturday. There is no doubt that John has the heart and desire and the want to lead us to success, I just doubt that he has the tools.

Given our talent at WR and the (hopeful) continued improvement of the OL, I would not be surprised if Kyle Kearns ends up being the guy next year. Has to be either him or Hinton, with Newman redshirting. If you do go with Kearns, I would look at moving Hinton to receiver and having Wolford as your backup.

Regardless, just can't go into next year with Wolford as the starter. He has had ample opportunity to take control of the job, but just has not been able to do it.

Given our talent at WR and the (hopeful) continued improvement of the OL, I would not be surprised if Kyle Kearns ends up being the guy next year. Has to be either him or Hinton, with Newman redshirting. If you do go with Kearns, I would look at moving Hinton to receiver and having Wolford as your backup.

Regardless, just can't go into next year with Wolford as the starter. He has had ample opportunity to take control of the job, but just has not been able to do it.

Was our OL improved this year, yes. Did I see anything from the OL this year that makes me confident a non-mobile pocket passing quarterback can survive behind it next year, no.

Was our OL improved this year, yes. Did I see anything from the OL this year that makes me confident a non-mobile pocket passing quarterback can survive behind it next year, no.

Fair, but it also did not make me confident we can thrive on offense running a read option offense with an athletic QB with serious accuracy issues.

The o line has been a disaster for about 5 years now. there is no offense and no QB that works behind a terrible DIII level o line. until we get this solved and get an o line that is playing at least at a mediocre power 5 level, it's not going to matter who the qb is.

Hard to imagine where we'd be with Grobe's QBs right now:

Sousa - Backup at D2 WSSU

Cameron - Tight end at FAU

Lemar Harris - WR at EMU

Fair, but it also did not make me confident we can thrive on offense running a read option offense with an athletic QB with serious accuracy issues.

I don't know, seems like people are talking down Hinton's throwing and it just didn't look all that bad to me for a true freshman. John's got a more accurate arm, but if you look at the stats there is not a huge difference. Personally I think the staff should do everything they can to shore up Hinton's mechanics and see where he is come fall camp. Having a QB that can run like Hinton is a huge asset, provided he doesn't kill you in the throw game and I certainly don't think he was that bad throwing the ball this year. I know through the years, the quarterbacks that scared me the most for Wake to face were the QB's that could really move and weren't a liability throwing the ball. QB's that were statues, even if they were great throwers, didn't scare me near as much.

I don't know, seems like people are talking down Hinton's throwing and it just didn't look all that bad to me for a true freshman. John's got a more accurate arm, but if you look at the stats there is not a huge difference. Personally I think the staff should do everything they can to shore up Hinton's mechanics and see where he is come fall camp. Having a QB that can run like Hinton is a huge asset, provided he doesn't kill you in the throw game and I certainly don't think he was that bad throwing the ball this year. I know through the years, the quarterbacks that scared me the most for Wake to face were the QB's that could really move and weren't a liability throwing the ball. QB's that were statues, even if they were great throwers, didn't scare me near as much.

I think Hinton's got a big arm, or a big enough arm. But I think Hinton is one of those guys that is just going to throw some deep 50/50 balls. So there will be more boom or bust type plays IMO. Also, Wolford can run, too.

Last edited:
I think he's got a big arm, or a big enough arm. But I think Hinton is one of those guys that is just going to throw some deep 50/50 balls. So there will be more boom or bust type plays IMO. Also, Wolford can run, too.

Well it's up to the staff to train him to make better decisions, but with a guy like Cortez Lewis, I don't mind some deep 50/50 balls in his direction. John can run, but the difference between John and Kendall running is that John can go 70 yards against Elon, Hinton can go 70 yards against NC State.

Back