• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Next year's non conference

Just looked at this and it is historically bad. If we don't go to a bowl next year, something is wrong. Two of the worst if not the worst 1-A teams in the country and really bad FCS team and Indiana. Also interesting with Duke and NC State as road games, we only leave the state 3 times next year.

Delaware -- 4-8 Ended year with 14-10 win over Elon
Army -- 2-9 with probable loss to Navy. Beat Bucknell (4-7 FCS) and Eastern Michigan (1-11 with win over 2-10 Wyoming)
Tulane -- Finished last in the AAC. Beat Army 2-10, UCF (0-12) and Maine (4-7)
@Indiana -- 6-6 (Lose QB and Senior laden class)

ACC home games -- BC, Syracuse, Clemson, UVA
ACC road games -- FSU, Louisville, NC State, Duke

I think most opponents would see WFU on their schedule and think the same thing. :eek:

Yep. 7 year losing record and counting.... :(

We absolutely have to beat dook next season to put an end to that 4 game losing streak as well!

Without checking I would think we are the only team this year that played 4 teams in the top-10. That is absurd. I look forward to only playing 2 or 3 next year, bring on the low ranked OOC.

Just looked at this and it is historically bad. If we don't go to a bowl next year, something is wrong. Two of the worst if not the worst 1-A teams in the country and really bad FCS team and Indiana. Also interesting with Duke and NC State as road games, we only leave the state 3 times next year.

Army -- 2-9 with probable loss to Navy. Beat Bucknell (4-7 FCS) and Eastern Michigan (1-11 with win over 2-10 Wyoming)

All the road games look like losses (maybe Duke) and you can't expect to beat Indy on the road. That would mean we need 3/4 of ACC home games to reach 6 wins. Not beating Clemson, so we have to win the other 3. 7 would be a very solid year IMO coming off two 3-9 years, even with that schedule.

While Wake should beat Delaware, they are not a team to characterize as a "bad" FCS school. If Wake thinks they can just show up and win, they may get a rude shock. Delaware has historically been good, with several FCS titles and many more playoff appearances in their recent history. U of D changed coaches two years ago and is in the process of changing University presidents. The previous HC did well with immediately eligible FCS transfers. The current HC hasn't had many of those incoming. Year three of his tenure coming up when Wake plays them.

Delaware only loses eight seniors to graduation. Two are off the two-deep offensive line.

Last edited:
What concerns me is Clawson. I've not seen anything on Saturdays that gives me hope. He's "Rah Rah", good recruiter, organizer, big picture master plan guy, but I just don't see it on the field yet. I was ridiculed by some on here for bringing up the Wolford/Hinton issue back in the 4th game of the season. I was always expecting every game after that to see Hinton start...(reasoning after a poor Wolford performance and a good Hinton highlight once he came in), but it never happened. Heard announcers saying during the N.D. game that Wolford was starting because he knew the playbook better. Don't know for sure but it sounded like they had asked Clawson and were likely aware of the questioning from forums like this.

I sent in a question to the radio show via email (never answered) that basically said, if you have to have a brain tumor removed and you can have Surgeon A who made straight As in Med school but has lost 4 of 100 patients on the table or Surgeon B who made lots of Bs and Cs but has never lost a patient out of 100, who would you pick? I think the analogy is fair and accurate to our situation at QB. Hinton was obviously our best chance at winning and he didn't win the job. What I said early on the year I still believe: Hinton may very easily be a Russell Wilson-type ability player in the making. As well as he played as a true freshman, what is his ceiling? He's the best combo QB I've ever seen at Wake. O should be built around his strengths. Not starting made no sense. It made me conclude that Clawson just couldn't see the forest for the trees re: his QB. He may have been upbeat for the Duke game but he was the only one that showed it. Players seemed ready for the year to end.

If we have Wolford pass early and often against Duke, we have a much better chance at winning, IMO. But we choose the Clawson ground ball control game, running our TB or our worst running QB into the line on 60% of the first half plays. Hasn't worked all year but "by golly, we're gonna do it until we learn!" seemed to be more important than winning....just like in 3-4 other games this year that were possible wins. If Hinton had been healthy, the pattern says he wouldn't have come in until late and the game was at least a 2 score difference anyway.... and then brought in only to bring us back to a close loss. BTW, I'm pretty sure he was the O leader in total yards before the N.D. game.

I think a lot of eligibility guys may not stay....that's my prediction, at least. Clawson may be happy as can be that his plan is "on schedule" but I don't see a long train behind him. After seeing our game-day coaching and decisions, I'll be surprised at 6 wins next year.

What concerns me is Clawson. I've not seen anything on Saturdays that gives me hope. He's "Rah Rah", good recruiter, organizer, big picture master plan guy, but I just don't see it on the field yet. I was ridiculed by some on here for bringing up the Wolford/Hinton issue back in the 4th game of the season. I was always expecting every game after that to see Hinton start...(reasoning after a poor Wolford performance and a good Hinton highlight once he came in), but it never happened. Heard announcers saying during the N.D. game that Wolford was starting because he knew the playbook better. Don't know for sure but it sounded like they had asked Clawson and were likely aware of the questioning from forums like this.

I sent in a question to the radio show via email (never answered) that basically said, if you have to have a brain tumor removed and you can have Surgeon A who made straight As in Med school but has lost 4 of 100 patients on the table or Surgeon B who made lots of Bs and Cs but has never lost a patient out of 100, who would you pick? I think the analogy is fair and accurate to our situation at QB. Hinton was obviously our best chance at winning and he didn't win the job. What I said early on the year I still believe: Hinton may very easily be a Russell Wilson-type ability player in the making. As well as he played as a true freshman, what is his ceiling? He's the best combo QB I've ever seen at Wake. O should be built around his strengths. Not starting made no sense. It made me conclude that Clawson just couldn't see the forest for the trees re: his QB. He may have been upbeat for the Duke game but he was the only one that showed it. Players seemed ready for the year to end.

If we have Wolford pass early and often against Duke, we have a much better chance at winning, IMO. But we choose the Clawson ground ball control game, running our TB or our worst running QB into the line on 60% of the first half plays. Hasn't worked all year but "by golly, we're gonna do it until we learn!" seemed to be more important than winning....just like in 3-4 other games this year that were possible wins. If Hinton had been healthy, the pattern says he wouldn't have come in until late and the game was at least a 2 score difference anyway.... and then brought in only to bring us back to a close loss. BTW, I'm pretty sure he was the O leader in total yards before the N.D. game.

I think a lot of eligibility guys may not stay....that's my prediction, at least. Clawson may be happy as can be that his plan is "on schedule" but I don't see a long train behind him. After seeing our game-day coaching and decisions, I'll be surprised at 6 wins next year.

I think that's a fair point, but the strengths you mentioned are important in rebuilding our program. I have concerns regarding the game day coaching as well, but I think it's still a little bit early to judge on that. I think next season is a big one for him and his staff. Another year into his process and a favorable schedule should make for much better results in the win/loss column. I think what we feared played out this year, in that we were a better football team, but the record wasn't any better because of the strength of schedule. We played one FCS team and 3 teams that aren't going to bowls this season, Syracuse, Army, and BC, leaving us with 8 games against bowl teams. 3 of which were in the running for the playoff until the end of the season, Clemson and UNC still are, and we also played Florida State. So, 4 of those 8 were against elite teams. Next year, we'll be playing one FCS team, 5 teams that didn't qualify for bowls in 2015, plus a 6-6 2015 Indiana team. Seven of our 12 games will be at home as well. If we don't get to at least 6-6 and get a bowl game, then it's a disappoint and while I don't think Clawson doesn't get a 4th year, it raises some very heavy concerns.

I sent in a question to the radio show via email (never answered) that basically said, if you have to have a brain tumor removed and you can have Surgeon A who made straight As in Med school but has lost 4 of 100 patients on the table or Surgeon B who made lots of Bs and Cs but has never lost a patient out of 100, who would you pick?

I'm not surprised your question was not selected. Stupid question/analogy because you don't give enough information on the surgeons. Surgeon A is likely one of the best in his field based on med school record and therefore likely gets the toughest, most complicated, and most likely to die anyway, cases. Also, with brain surgery, survival is not the best marker of success. Quality of life based on post operative function is the better marker of success. If all your patients survive surgery but are vegetables afterwards, you are not a good surgeon.

At some point during the season I think Hinton became the best bet to win a game. Who knows what would've been had Hinton been healthy to go against Duke, after scoring our only TDs against Clemson. But I think it's likely that Clawson was not starting Hinton previously mainly because he was a freshman and he wanted to bring him along slowly, unlike what he had to do with Wolford. I think that with a year under his belt, Hinton will know the offense better, have a better short pass game, and will be able to win the position in the Spring, rather than just being the fan favorite to take over. It was pretty clear going into this season that Wolford should have been the starter and Clawson gave him a lot of latitude in maintaining his grip on the job. I think all the crazy missteps he's had this season have taken their toll on his reputation, at least among the fanbase. Not really enough improvement shown from 1st to 2nd year. So the door should be wide open for Kendall. We'll have to wait and see. The stats are usually posted for the scrimmages so we should know that much.

Back