• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Football Offseason Thread

Sounds like Harris (center,) Hayworth (guard,) Haynes (guard,) Herron (tackle) and Anderson (tackle)
We need Haney to start - at least once - with the other H's

Quintuple H- "Time to play the game!"

Sounds like Harris (center,) Hayworth (guard,) Haynes (guard,) Herron (tackle) and Anderson (tackle)
We need Haney to start - at least once - with the other H's

Wake really needs to use an H-back and play Kendall Hinton or Tabari Hines there - at least for one play, to give the position its due.:bowrofl:

I know this isn’t exactly a “hot take”, but I think our season really depends on the progress that our sophomores make this year. By now you’ve probably heard some of this from Clawson. He’s said that his experience has shown that players make their biggest jump from their first year on the field to their second. That makes complete sense to me. Compare the 2014 version of Duke Ejiofor to the 2015 version.

If the team that takes the field against Tulane is basically the same team as last season from a skills/talent perspective, I say we are a 4 win team (max). Even with our schedule. But what if our sophomores really do make that “jump” this offseason? I count 12 sophomores that project to get 40+% of the snaps in 2016 that got 300+ snaps of experience as freshmen: Kendall Hinton (obviously starting QB has to be sorted out), Tyler Bell, Ryan Anderson, Phil Haynes, Justin Herron, Tabari Hines, Chuck Wade, Cortez Lewis, Chris Calhoun, Demetrius Kemp, Cameron Glenn and Dionte Austin. If they have a great offseason and make that “jump” that means we improve significantly at 3 OL positions (including both tackles), QB (potentially), RB, 2 of 3 WR positions, pass rusher opposite Duke Ejiofor, rover, corner opposite Brad Watson and one of the safety spots that struggled mightily last year. Whether that happens or not probably makes or breaks the season.

I know some people like to focus on the freshmen. Could someone like Kyle Kearns or Steven Claude or Kahlil Welsh or Scotty Washington or Amari Henderson become a solid contributor this year? Absolutely. But the learning curve is so steep that it’s hard to count on them being difference makers (the RB position might be the exception to that rule). I think it all comes down to those 12 sophomores.

A short "sights and sounds" video from the first 2 practices. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIC6gmfg1P8&feature=youtu.be

I think the best clip was Scotty Washington's catch. I'm very interested to see him this spring. He's one of those guys, like Kyle Kearns, that I'm excited about but literally have no idea what to expect. Washington definitely looks the part. Obviously we all knew he was tall, but I've noticed he looks bigger/stronger than last year as well.

Cortez Lewis looks like an NFL guy to me. He's looked like one since the first time I saw him play for us. He's big, strong and has great hands. Not sure what his 40 time is but if it's remotely fast, he'll be our next NFL receiver.

Agreed. Cortez Lewis definitely has pro potential. He just needs to make a "jump" like Givens did between his sophomore and junior year. Def has all the tools.

A short "sights and sounds" video from the first 2 practices. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIC6gmfg1P8&feature=youtu.be

I think the best clip was Scotty Washington's catch. I'm very interested to see him this spring. He's one of those guys, like Kyle Kearns, that I'm excited about but literally have no idea what to expect. Washington definitely looks the part. Obviously we all knew he was tall, but I've noticed he looks bigger/stronger than last year as well.

The Scotty catch was great. I am also curious as to who the receiver was that got behind the CB on the right side (Hinton threw a great ball). I feel our CBs are pretty good this year, curious to see who got behind them in that play.

Jamie Newman just tweeted: "Minor setback for a major comeback"

Hope he didn't get injured or anything serious.

Steed lobotzke just followed me on Twitter , which is kind of strange since I probably have less than 20 tweets to my name ever. Anyway, got a chuckle out of it.

Wonder what happened with Welsh. Had high hopes for him alon the Dline, he was one of the bigger DTs we had on the roster.

Back