• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Football Offseason Thread

All that video did was make me go look-up who 37 is. Looks like it is Thomas Dillon. Dude got run over twice in the same run. Good news - bad news. Good news - nice run by Carney. Bad news - it was against our defense and there was some pathetic attempts at tackling. Hopefully that was the 4th team defense.

Looked to me like that might not have been a live tackling drill.

Stats not pretty against a defense trying to replace LB's, without Josh Banks and Janvion. All the RB's averaged under 3 yards and Hinton with a 40% completion rate. Clawson talks about explosive plays but outside of a short pass to Hines was there any for those who watched. 1 TD in a scrimmage vs a defense that is building is not a good sign.

RBs combined for 33 carries for 67 yards. QBs were 26-for-53 with 1 TD and 3 INTs. Woof.

Walk-on RB Trey Ndlovu with the 2014-esque 15 carries for 14 yards.

Really hoping to see some improvement in the Spring Game.

RBs combined for 33 carries for 67 yards. QBs were 26-for-53 with 1 TD and 3 INTs. Woof.

Walk-on RB Trey Ndlovu with the 2014-esque 15 carries for 14 yards.

Really hoping to see some improvement in the Spring Game.

True, but Isaiah Robinson, Matt Colburn and Rocky Reid didn't play, Carney was injured mid-way and Arkeem Byrd isn't here yet. Running game looked much more capable last week with both Reid and Carney contributing.

Based on the video from the official site, we are 5 deep at safety. The defense got the better of the offense this scrimmage. The QBs didn't have terrible numbers today With being under manned at RB.

ETA: Hinton makes things happen... Whether for better or the worse he makes things happen. he has more big play ability than Wolford. But Wolford can run the offense Ruggiero wants to run. Claw has a big decision to make in the fall.

Last edited:
As poorly as Hinton is throwing the ball I don't see him replacing Wolford at QB. And I don't see Wolford being much better than last year. I can't see us making a bowl game if our QB play doesn't improve dramatically.

Haven't seen anything out of any of the RB's who were out that makes me think they will make a difference. Tyler Bell finished the season as our #1 RB and he was apparently fine to play today. Reality is if the OL is improved we would run the ball better against a defense that is replenishing some key members of the front 7. First scrimmage looks like most of the rushing yards came from Carney who was with the 3's. I hope there is improvement but the Shotgun run game has been far from impressive the last 2 years. You have to think the defense will be a little bit down from last year so the offense has to produce more than they have.

You have to think the defense will be a little bit down from last year so the offense has to produce more than they have.

We had 9 DL listed on the depth chart for the finale last year; eight of them, including all four starters, return. Marquel Lee is back at LB. Kemp will more than make up for the loss of Williams. Watson and Austin are back at corner. Dancel is leaving. Our best DL will presumably be available all season after playing only seven games last year. We only lose two (Chubb and Williams) of our top 15 or so defenders. There is no reason why one "has to think" the defense will be down this year.

Last edited:
As poorly as Hinton is throwing the ball I don't see him replacing Wolford at QB. And I don't see Wolford being much better than last year. I can't see us making a bowl game if our QB play doesn't improve dramatically.

Hinton has more playmaking ability. I think he will win the QB competition.

Is a running game more important than passing accuracy? Because Hinton brings a running game and explosive plays Clawson's RBs haven't been able to bring.

Wake Football Offseason Thread - 1st scrimmage is in the books

If Wolford is the starting QB next season there is no hope. I appreciate his gym rat status but the kid doesn't have the physical attributes to succeed at this level. Especially behind a developing/shaky OL.

Maybe if he had Riley's pocket awareness he could overcome that. But he doesn't. Instead he panics and either throws a dumb interception, has his pass batted down or he checks down for a two yard gain.

Last edited:
But dem completions doe

It looked to me that Wolford threw a lot more bubble screens then any of the other QBs. With his other passes his decision making wasn't good at all. He had two picks that where just dropped. On paper he had a better day. The eye test says different.

It looked to me that Wolford threw a lot more bubble screens then any of the other QBs. With his other passes his decision making wasn't good at all. He had two picks that where just dropped. On paper he had a better day. The eye test says different.

That may be the case, I haven't watched them play this Spring. But no matter Wolford's performance, 40% by Hinton isn't good. And I've been hoping Hinton could take a big step this offseason.

That may be your opinion, but Clawson has repeatedly said that passing accuracy is the most important aspect for a QB in his system.

maybe his system is fucked. gotta figure out a way to win with the talent you have.

maybe his system is fucked. gotta figure out a way to win with the talent you have.

This is my biggest concern. Until Clawson changes his system our ceiling will remain slightly above basement level.

If Wolford is the starting QB next season there is no hope. I appreciate his gym rat status but the kid doesn't have the physical attributes to succeed at this level. Especially behind a developing/shaky OL.

Maybe if he had Riley's pocket awareness he could overcome that. But he doesn't. Instead he panics and either throws a dumb interception, has his pass batted down or he checks down for a two yard gain.

for once brasky is actually right

How does the QB you guys brought in last year that redshirted look? Will he get a look? Kearns maybe?

Wake Football Offseason Thread - 1st scrimmage is in the books

This is my biggest concern. Until Clawson changes his system our ceiling will remain slightly above basement level.

Clawson's system has produced championships at all 3 previous schools at which he coached.

Back