• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Football Offseason Thread

That's why I ignore what Dan writes and read the quotes from Clawson. It seems he always tends to mention Benzinger everytime he speaks about the offensive line and its future.

Didn't realize Cam, Cortez Lewis and Crump were all out this spring. Makes it a little tougher to judge our passing game.

So he's 2016's Phil Haynes

I still think Haynes will have a really good career at Wake. Still has three years left.

I also think RS Fr Haynes was in a different situation than RS Fr Benzinger. Haynes was forced into action probably a year early, Benzinger might get some snaps this year but isn't expected to start or play much. Like Haynes, their best years will be RS Sophomore year and beyond.

I saw that the players are having their draft for the spring game today. If I remember correctly one team drafted 4 of the 5 first team OLs last year and went on to win the game easily. It will be interesting to see how Herron, Hayworth, and Harris (maybe Ryan Anderson as well) are divided between Wolford's team and Hinton's team.

Just took a quick look at the rosters for the Spring Game. Very interesting. The notables:

Team Black
QB Wolford
RB Bell
OL Herron
WR Wade (the Bishop Kenney connection could be big)
LB Lee

Team Gold
QB Hinton
RB Reid
OL Anderson
OL Hayworth
OL Harris
WR Hines
DE Ejiofor

Cade Carney will split time between the two teams.

Kendall Hinton came away with the better OL. That could be important. I’m taking Team Gold by a TD.

Just took a quick look at the rosters for the Spring Game. Very interesting. The notables:

Team Black
QB Wolford
RB Bell
OL Herron
WR Wade (the Bishop Kenney connection could be big)
LB Lee

Team Gold
QB Hinton
RB Reid
OL Anderson
OL Hayworth
OL Harris
WR Hines
DE Ejiofor

Cade Carney will split time between the two teams.

Kendall Hinton came away with the better OL. That could be important. I’m taking Team Gold by a TD.

Phil Haynes and Alique Terry are also on OL for the Black team.

Also, this will be Taylor Chambers (RS Jr) year to show he can play or become a candidate for graduation.

Also, this will be Taylor Chambers (RS Jr) year to show he can play or become a candidate for graduation.

If Chambers plays meaningful snaps, that means the Wake offensive line has been DECIMATED by injuries. He's not even remotely in the discussion as far as top-10 guys on the line right now.

what's the deal with Terry? He played a lot as a freshman and then much less last year. Has he not done well in the weight room?

what's the deal with Terry? He played a lot as a freshman and then much less last year. Has he not done well in the weight room?

I just don't think he's good enough to play. We were desperate his freshman year, slightly less desperate now.

His situation does seem odd. As a freshman, he was one of the three best interior linemen or one of the five best linemen (take your pick) such that Cory Helms was moved to guard so he could start at center. Now he barely plays, Josh Harris is the center and Helms is in SC. I don't know if that means the guys playing now are better, or he got worse or????

My impression is that they were forced into playing Terry as a true freshman and found out that he wasn't strong enough. To make matters worse, because he was playing he missed the extra strength training that you get when you redshirt. So he fell further behind. The last comments I recall from Clawson were very positive about Terry - if he proves that he can make the necessary gains in the weight room. I expect that he will be a starter in 2017.

My impression is that they were forced into playing Terry as a true freshman and found out that he wasn't strong enough. To make matters worse, because he was playing he missed the extra strength training that you get when you redshirt. So he fell further behind. The last comments I recall from Clawson were very positive about Terry - if he proves that he can make the necessary gains in the weight room. I expect that he will be a starter in 2017.

If they can get away with it, perhaps they should redshirt him this season?

This is turning into a lose-lose for Wake. Terry isn't a starter anymore, lost his starting position 2/3 through his freshman season, falling behind, not playing much. And the guy who moved positions for him isn't at Wake, and is playing in SC - currently listed as starting RG (ironic) and backup center.

That is ironic - wonder what happened at Wake. He seemed so pro-Wake, until he wasn't. Now the Ole' Ball Coach has gone too.

Well if he starts this year it doesn't matter who the coach is.

Back