• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Football Offseason Thread

"Wake Forest Football" and "easy schedule" can never be used in the same sentence. :(

except for many of our opponents who are like "oh we get to play the Wake Forest football team, that should add to our easy schedule." :(

Between Tulane (H), Duke (A), Delaware(H), Indiana (A), and Syracuse (H), we should be able to get 3 wins before the BYE. Both of the road games will feature a lot of new faces on the other squad starting for the first time.

That sets up home games against Army, UVA, and BC after the BYE as must-wins to get to a bowl (Shreveport or DC likely). I actually think that's reasonable.

Can't remember the last time we had a schedule this easy - if ever.

I've said it before, but if we don't make a bowl with this schedule then we might as well fold the team.

This team is more than talented enough to get 6 wins out of the games in front of them.

I will be sorely disappointed with the staff/team if we fall short, pretty much no matter the circumstances.

It's time to start winning some damn games in one of our revenue sports.

I don't think we have as big a question mark at QB as most on here. Wolford should be the starter, with some packages for Hinton to handle (deep balls and running plays...eliminate medium length passes because he struggles with them immensely).

Just watched the spring game on ESPN3. It wasn't pretty as a whole, but there were some good moments.

Carney needs to see the ball a lot. I think Reid will be a good #2 option. WR is going to be scary with all of the different weapons we have. Between Lewis, Washington, Hines, Wade, Later, and Claude we're loaded. They're all young too. Crump is going to need to show something if he wants to play.

Wolford looks more comfortable right now. Hinton has plenty of talent though. Kid needs to see the field in some capacity.

OL, as others have stated, needs work.

Defense is going to be fine.

6 wins should be an attainable goal. Good days are ahead of us.

THIS...

Whoa that is soooo bad. It was 3-2 at one point too. I thought that qb from Kentucky was supposed to be good for them. Guess not

Whoa that is soooo bad. It was 3-2 at one point too. I thought that qb from Kentucky was supposed to be good for them. Guess not

He hardly played. He was 2-for-4 passing. Shocked he would go as a grad transfer for his final year and not be the presumed starter.

Wait is this score for real? And they weren't scrimmaging us?

Not sure where else to post this but this animation shows what ECU's stadium is gonna look like when their renovations are complete.

Can't link it from my phone, but an old friend who is an athletic performance trainer in DC has a nice Facebook video of Cameron Glenn going through drills. He looks fluid.

Amen to your creative thinking....Clawson should take note. I won't be able to stand one more fake read handoff into the OL after viewing hundreds the past 2 years. The old "Insanity is trying the same thing over and over again when it never works and expecting a different outcome" type of cliché.

How about a sprint out read option, play action, under Center stand and throw, orbits, motion in the backfield, 2 back sets (non goal-line), etc.

As much talent as Clemson has and they run (like UNC) one of the most open, fun, unpredictable O sets seen in our conference. If DI programs with their strength do it, how will we ever succeed trying to run "basic fb plays" from limited playbook?

The official excuse for not running laterally or long-to-develop plays is that the OL allows too much penetration for them to work, and the vanilla plays are supposed to minimize chances for loss of yardage. It makes some superficial sense but whether another OC could do better is always an open question. This year's team will probably be telling in this regard.

The official excuse for not running laterally or long-to-develop plays is that the OL allows too much penetration for them to work, and the vanilla plays are supposed to minimize chances for loss of yardage. It makes some superficial sense but whether another OC could do better is always an open question. This year's team will probably be telling in this regard.

I would modify this slightly and say that the official explanation for not running lateral running plays is that the staff found that the current TEs could not effectively "pin block". As a result, the decision was made to attack the edges exclusively with short passes. They just couldn't get the lateral runs to work in practice. So Wake's ability to start attacking the edges with the running game probably depends on both the development of RBs like Arkeem Byrd and TE Brandon Chapman. As soon as Chapman can handle the assignment from a strength and maturity perspective it will allow the run game to diversify.

The other rationale for the limited playbook was all the youth on offense. The decision was made to limit the playbook to give the players a chance to "play fast" without having to "think" on the field.

I'm just trying to provide the explanations I've heard on the radio etc.

Add me to the list of those that would love to see the end of the slow developing run plays. If the OL can't sustain blocks it would seem like we would want the QB or RB to hit the hole quickly before it closes.

A team with a short playbook isn't going to fool defenses with slow developing plays.

Seems like we have been playing with an abbreviated play book forever. We have a junior QB and experienced linemen, we better be able to use the whole book this season!

I've been asking for years. What does our OL do well? Build our offense around that.

Back