• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Football Offseason Thread

Interesting move with Wortham to safety.
However, he's got good size and speed and could end up being a pleasant surprise for us.
Good luck to him learning quickly and getting playing time.

I like the move for Wortham as well. Glad he is staying at Wake and hope he relishes in the new role. Be a headhunter in the secondary..

Anyone have scoop on Tabari Hines injury?

I found this to be another interesting nugget and very unfortunate. I had a feeling he was going to make a big freshman to sophomore jump. Doesn't mean he still won't, but the missed reps can't help. Wade will get plenty of reps in the slot this spring.

Secondary could be an issue IMO - safety specifically

I'm more worried about who will be replacing Chubb (Jaboree). Marquel is a beast but how good will he be without someone like Chubb there beside him?

At CB I think we are set with Watson/Austin/Henderson.

Janvion will be a 5th year senior and he has his strengths and weakness. But anyone other than Dancel is an improvement at that position from last year. Whether its Redd/Bates/Okonye

I'm more worried about who will be replacing Chubb (Jaboree). Marquel is a beast but how good will he be without someone like Chubb there beside him?

At CB I think we are set with Watson/Austin/Henderson.

Janvion will be a 5th year senior and he has his strengths and weakness. But anyone other than Dancel is an improvement at that position from last year. Whether its Redd/Bates/Okonye

Who does it look like will take that spot? Grant Dawson is hard nosed football player, but not sure how good of an athlete he is.

Who does it look like will take that spot? Grant Dawson is hard nosed football player, but not sure how good of an athlete he is.

I think Jaboree Williams is the guy who spelled Chubb last season and the front runner to replace Chubb. I think Dawson spelled Marquel Lee.

Tabari needs to stop fielding punts inside the 10 yard line.

You can probably shed more light on this than most on here. I assume the coaching staff is telling him not to do that...but if they are and he isn't listening then why isn't somebody else returning them?

Honestly, outside of punting, the special teams was absolutely awful last year. We can't return kicks at all, we can't defend returns, and we get no positivity out of the return game. Hopefully Coach Scheier will get it back on track this season.

You can probably shed more light on this than most on here. I assume the coaching staff is telling him not to do that...but if they are and he isn't listening then why isn't somebody else returning them?

Honestly, outside of punting, the special teams was absolutely awful last year. We can't return kicks at all, we can't defend returns, and we get no positivity out of the return game. Hopefully Coach Scheier will get it back on track this season.

I have no idea why he's fielding some of those - off the bounce some too. So dangerous. Every level that I've played or coached at has always stressed to let it bounce if you're inside the 10. Maybe they're afraid it will bounce inside the 5? I'll take my chances though on an 19 or 20 year old screwing up in that situation though and letting the ball go into the end-zone for a touch-back. With Tabari's returns, we end up starting inside the 5 anyway.

Maybe he's the only one who can consistently catch it? I'm not in practice and don't see who else is out there.

I do think we have the right man in place in Scheier. His fake punt-run last year on 4th and forever is the only real head-scratcher.

Special teams is all about effort play, and we just haven't had the appropriate effort on special teams the last few years dating back to the later Grobe era.

Was it Devon Brown that tried to field the ball inside the 10 against Miami a few years back?

In the rain over his shoulder IIRC

Was it Devon Brown that tried to field the ball inside the 10 against Miami a few years back?

Yes - and that description doesn't really do it justice. He tried to catch it around the five, over his shoulder (Willie Mays style) going toward the end zone, with Wake enjoying a comfortable lead. UM recovered in the end zone for a TD and Wake was on the way to snatching defeat from the jaws of victory.

Edit - oh yeah - forgot it was in the rain also.

That single play (I'll argue) kept Wake out of a bowl game that year.

Would have played USC in San Fran.

I'm curious what Clawson would say is the strength of the team this year. Year 1 was clearly CB's, year 2 was probably LB (honorable mention for Punter). Receivers maybe?

Back