• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Football Offseason Thread

I'm high on receivers and surprisingly the DLine. They made huge strides when Duke came back and I don't think we lost any contributors. Plus some of our top recruits have been DL and may play early.

Think corner could be much improved as well.

Yes - and that description doesn't really do it justice. He tried to catch it around the five, over his shoulder (Willie Mays style) going toward the end zone, with Wake enjoying a comfortable lead. UM recovered in the end zone for a TD and Wake was on the way to snatching defeat from the jaws of victory.

Edit - oh yeah - forgot it was in the rain also.

In the rain, on Halloween. Then Miami converted a 4th and 20something on their game winning drive. That game sucked.

The reconstruction of the outdoor practice fields is underway. This photo shows the cutting down of the trees that ran along Wingate Rd. next to the fields. I heard that when the construction of the new fields is finished, the trees will be replaced with a wall. I also heard that there are plans to construct a new, taller wall along the site of the famous wall next to Pruitt Football Center, and that the old-timers who hang out there while watching practice will be forced to pay for the new wall. :D

Practice%20fields.jpg

Sorry to see so many trees go in the name of progress. The heavily wooded campus was one of the things that made Wake special.

The reconstruction of the outdoor practice fields is underway. This photo shows the cutting down of the trees that ran along Wingate Rd. next to the fields. I heard that when the construction of the new fields is finished, the trees will be replaced with a wall. I also heard that there are plans to construct a new, taller wall along the site of the famous wall next to Pruitt Football Center, and that the old-timers who hang out there while watching practice will be forced to pay for the new wall. :D

Practice%20fields.jpg

Good info, Bob.

I had jokingly assumed they took the trees down to allow an unobstructed view of the IPF. Much like Farrell Hall, its relative gargantuan size dominates the campus landscape.

That single play (I'll argue) kept Wake out of a bowl game that year.

Would have played USC in San Fran.

The missed short FG to put us up by 18 did not help either. Same guy missed a chippie at Clemson to put us in the ACC Championship

The missed short FG to put us up by 18 did not help either. Same guy missed a chippie at Clemson to put us in the ACC Championship

That was real close to being one heck of a season coming off the prior one.

That was real close to being one heck of a season coming off the prior one.

You mean the season we finished 1-4 with a regular season finale 41-7 home loss to Vandy?

You mean the season we finished 1-4 with a regular season finale 41-7 home loss to Vandy?

Win the Miami game we had won, win the Clemson game if we'd just made a chippy field goal, go to the ACC title game after a horrid year the prior one. Yeah, I think it was pretty close.

Also, the Notre Dame game we had a good shot to win. All I'm saying is that if we'd have gotten to the title game after being terrible the year before, it would've been quite an accomplishment for that team. However, it was just another season of "what ifs" and disappointment.

Last edited:
Win the Miami game we had won, win the Clemson game if we'd just made a chippy field goal, go to the ACC title game after a horrid year the prior one. Yeah, I think it was pretty close.

Also, the Notre Dame game we had a good shot to win. All I'm saying is that if we'd have gotten to the title game after being terrible the year before, it would've been quite an accomplishment for that team. However, it was just another season of "what ifs" and disappointment.

The year we lost to Miami 27-28 (after being up 27-14 in the 4th qtr) was 2009. We didn't play ND that year and lost to Clemson 3-38. 2011 is the year we could/should have beaten Clemson and ND - but didn't play Miami that season.

The year we lost to Miami 27-28 (after being up 27-14 in the 4th qtr) was 2009. We didn't play ND that year and lost to Clemson 3-38. 2011 is the year we could/should have beaten Clemson and ND - but didn't play Miami that season.

Yeah that's right, my bad. No excuse for the 09 team not making a bowl.

My biggest questions for the Spring:
(1) Who takes the lead at QB?
(2) Can Rocky Reid stay healthy and emerge as the favorite at RB?
(3) Where does Phillip Haynes play on the offensive line?

Good questions! I am especially interested in Reid.

According to Dans new article, Haynes has been moved to RG and Anderson at RT

Sounds like Harris (center,) Hayworth (guard,) Haynes (guard,) Herron (tackle) and Anderson (tackle)
We need Haney to start - at least once - with the other H's

Back