• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Football Offseason Thread

Deac94

Reaction score
Here is my projected two-deep depth chart for 2016. I’ve listed a projected starter and backup, but keep in mind that the coaching staff has made it clear that they expect there to be a number of open competitions for starting spots this spring and summer.

Using this projection, we will start 3 seniors on offense and 4 seniors on defense.

I’m not even going to guess at the QB depth chart.

OFFENSE

Running Back:
Tyler Bell (SOPH)
Rocky Reid (rFR), Cade Carney (FR) or Matt Colburn (SOPH)
(Note: RB will likely a committee-type situation)

X-Receiver:
Cortez Lewis (rSOPH)
Scotty Washington (rFR)

S-Receiver:
Jared Crump (rSR) **will miss spring**
Steven Claude (rFR)

Flanker / Slot Receiver:
Tabari Hines (SOPH) AND Chuck Wade (SOPH) - committee situation

Tight End:
Cam Serigne (rJR)
Devin Pike (JR) OR Brandon Chapman (FR)

Left Tackle:
Justin Herron (rSOPH)
Nathan Gilliam (rFR)

Left Guard:
Ty Hayworth (rSR)
T.J. Haney (rFR)

Center:
Josh Harris (SR)
A’Lique Terry (JR)

Right Guard:
Phil Haynes (rSOPH)
Patrick Osterhage (rSOPH)
(Note: This position is one of the hardest to project, but I think the most likely scenario is that either Phil Haynes or Ryan Anderson moves from RT to become a starter at RG.)

Right Tackle:
Ryan Anderson (rSOPH)
Jake Benzinger (rFR)

DEFENSE

Defensive Ends:
Duke Ejiofor (rJR) and Wendell Dunn (rJR)
Rashawn Shaw (rSOPH) and Chris Calhoun (SOPH)
(note: Clawson said at the recruiting reception that a true freshman could factor in here)

Nose Tackle:
Zeek Rodney (JR)
Khalil Welsh (rFR)

Defensive Tackle:
Josh Banks (rSR)
Chris Stewart (rSOPH)

BUCK Linebacker:
Jaboree Williams (JR)
Nate Mays (rFR) or Zack Wary (rSOPH)

MIKE Linebacker:
Marquel Lee (SR)
Grant Dawson (rJR)

Rover:
Demetrius Kemp (rSOPH)
Thomas Brown (SR)
(Note: Kemp takes over as starter after getting significant playing time at this position in 2015)

Cornerbacks:
Brad Watson (SR) and Dionte Austin (SOPH)
Amari Henderson (rFR) and Thomas Dillon (JR)

WHIP Safety:
Cameron Glenn (rSOPH)
Traveon Redd (FR) or Josh Okonye (rJR)

STUD Safety
Ryan Janvion (rSR) **will miss spring**
Jessie Bates (rFR)

Placekicker:
Mike Weaver (rJR)
Adam Centers (rSOPH)

Punter:
Dom Maggio (FR)

Last edited:
Can't disagree with you 94. I think RB will be a two-headed attack by the end of the year just like we saw this year (ended up being Bell and occasionally Robinson). I think it will be Rocky and Bell. I think we are gonna try to RS Carney if we can.

Coburn looked good in limited carries this year, tough runner and seemed to be able grind out a yard or two that didn't look like was there. What are the reasons he didn't see the field more? Struggles at pass pro, not good catching the ball out of the backfield???

Whoa. I didn't realize Watson is a Junior this year. Was thinking he was a Sophomore. We are going to be hurting at CB in '17 unless we land a couple studs. Dionte has a boatload of potential, and I predict him to be our next Corner to go in the draft before it's all said and done.

still a very young team

By my count WF has 15 scholarship juniors (either redshirt or true juniors), and at least half appear to be leaving WF after the season. As a result, WF will have another small senior class on the team in 2016.

Where is Ali Lamot on D-line?

Not on the 2 deep. Maybe he will make strides in the off-season, but I don't think he got any DL snaps this year.

On another note, I would expect Wortham and maybe Robinson to transfer unless they really love it at Wake.

Not on the 2 deep. Maybe he will make strides in the off-season, but I don't think he got any DL snaps this year.

On another note, I would expect Wortham and maybe Robinson to transfer unless they really love it at Wake.

Since Clawson arrived very few of the players that got buried on the depth chart have transferred. Most are sticking it out to get their Wake Forest degrees.

By my count WF has 15 scholarship juniors (either redshirt or true juniors), and at least half appear to be leaving WF after the season. As a result, WF will have another small senior class on the team in 2016.

I counted 17 scholarship juniors. 6 will be leaving. That leaves a small senior class, but larger than what we had this year.

Whoa. I didn't realize Watson is a Junior this year. Was thinking he was a Sophomore. We are going to be hurting at CB in '17 unless we land a couple studs. Dionte has a boatload of potential, and I predict him to be our next Corner to go in the draft before it's all said and done.

Yep. Both Watson and Marquel Lee had their redshirts burned to play special teams in 2013. Both SHOULD have two years left, but instead have only one. With the benefit of hindsight, it was a devastatingly bad decision to burn their redshirts.

Coburn looked good in limited carries this year, tough runner and seemed to be able grind out a yard or two that didn't look like was there. What are the reasons he didn't see the field more? Struggles at pass pro, not good catching the ball out of the backfield???

Going into the Duke game Colburn had a slightly higher yards per carry average compared to Bell (3.6 to 3.5). Based on usage it appears that the staff trusted Bell in pass pro more, and as you indicated Bell is a bigger threat as a receiver out of the backfield (Colburn didn't have a single pass target this season).

Colburn was benched one week after not having a good week of practice, and injured his ankle (I think) towards the end of the Clemson game.

I think there were a lot of positives to take away from this season. I think he will improve further during the offseason and appears poised to compete for carries in a RB-committee.

Based on 94's list above, we'll still be a fairly young team, but with much more experience than this year. Depth looks a lot better.
Combined with another year of S&C and getting Clawson's program 'baked in', I think we could/should see considerable improvement next year.

Back