• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2016 NASCAR Thread - 7 Time!

tsywake

Sheikh of Smoke
Staff member
Reaction score
Time to start looking forward to next year.

http://www.daytonainternationalspeedway.com/Vanity-Pages/2013/Daytona-Rising/DAYTONA-RISING.aspx

We discussed it when they first announced the Daytona Rising project, and I'm pretty damn impressed. The modernization is staggering, even if they are going to have to tear down the back stretch grandstand. Not to be outdone by Bruton and Bristol, there is talk of Daytona hosting a football or futbol game in the future.

If you have some free time, check out the Nascar Historian page. They're doing a rundown of the history of each number as it corresponds to the days until the 500. https://thenascarhistorian.wordpress.com/2015/12/09/75-days-until-the-daytona-500/

Sources are now saying that Brian Scott is going to RPM for 2016, and Darian Grubb will not crew chief Carl Edwards this year. They're expecting Dave Rogers to move over from Denny Hamlin's car.

Darian Grubb... the man nobody wants despite the results.

Look for Penske to be the standard bearer in 2016.

There's some solid movement towards the charter system in NASCAR, with the expectation that everything will be finalized by the Daytona 500. I'm still not sure how I feel about this. While its great for teams to be able to make guarantees of exposure for the sponsors, I always liked the suspense in qualifying of who would go home. The initial negotiations were for only 40 charters, which means 3 teams will be eliminated. One of them already appears to be Gilliland's ride at Front Row Motorsports.

There's video online of Tony Stewart going into the stands at the Chili Bowl Nationals to confront a fan who was heckling him and giving him the finger. The fan ended up shoving Smoke, and luckily he didn't retaliate, but a security person put the fan on his ass.

Smoke didn't really do anything, but after his prior run ins, he really doesn't need this publicity.

27 days until the 500, and a great excuse for me to post a pic of one of my favorite cars of all time....
155.jpg

All signs points towards a Junior Championship this season. Junior 2016!!!! 88!!

LOL. One of my all-time favorite posts.

Junior has been driving Cup cars for 16 full seasons now.....most of them in the best equipment that money could buy.....and he hasn't even sniffed a championship.

The 24 hours of Daytona ended up being pretty interesting over the weekend. After 24 hours, the GTLM class came down to a near photo finish.

Hopefully now that we are getting closer to the season starting off, the conversation here will amp up a little.

Back