• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2016 NASCAR Thread - 7 Time!

This was my first actual Sprint Cup race. I've seen the trucks, Xfinity & local races but it was the first time I have been able to see them in person. If you have never been to a speedway, you need to go. TV does it absolutely ZERO justice. The speed, sound & smell is enough to make a true racing fan get a true racing chubby.
Jr was doing ok, then was caught up on pit road when the ever so popular back stretch debris caution came out. I was sick to my stomach but couldn't be happier for Martin & that team!! His beautiful girlfriend has beaten ovarian cancer & has always wanted racing to be about Martin, not about her. When the track camera tried to put her on camera, during the race, she turned around in another direction. She was like that when he won at Pocono last season. Then there is Delana Harvick sending out a tweet saying... never want to lose but, couldn't think of anyone "I'd" rather lose to. She congratulates them after that, but my point is this: You may wear the fire suit DeLana, but you do NOT drive the car!! Follow your friend's lead, the spotlight isn't for you.

Last edited:
Yep, but I'll take the 2nd place finish. And between Ryan and Chase, I took Ryan this week. Crap, but I guess I can't complain about a top 10 either way.

Brad got his panties in a wad about the way Gordan described his crew cheating again. The analysts also had entirely falso info about who was running out of gas IMO.

I'm really not looking forward to running out of starts with Blaney and Chase in C. There is also a wide divide between B list definites, B list possibles, and B list never in my life.

I actually did really well and co-won the fantasy league this week. It'd been better if Truex/Larson had finished a little better. It was just unfortunate that Truex broke off the inner valve stem causing the flat, but those things happen.

I usually despise Michigan, but with the extreme reduction in downforce, it should be interesting. I saw more wiggling and getting loose yesterday than I can remember in the last 15-20 years at Pocono.

Brad got his panties in a wad about the way Gordan described his crew cheating again. The analysts also had entirely falso info about who was running out of gas IMO.

I'm really not looking forward to running out of starts with Blaney and Chase in C. There is also a wide divide between B list definites, B list possibles, and B list never in my life.

Kes is always crying about something. He got busted and got ticked for being called out. But, I will say that I also believe that owners or part owners should not be in the booth. Pre or post race analyst? Fine. Calling the race? I think that's a conflict of interest.

I actually did really well and co-won the fantasy league this week. It'd been better if Truex/Larson had finished a little better. It was just unfortunate that Truex broke off the inner valve stem causing the flat, but those things happen.

I usually despise Michigan, but with the extreme reduction in downforce, it should be interesting. I saw more wiggling and getting loose yesterday than I can remember in the last 15-20 years at Pocono.

Michigan isn't my favorite, but I wouldn't mind it if we also didn't have Kansas, Kentucky, Chicagoland, and Texas. Pick two of those and run one race each place per season. Then you've got my vote.

This quote on Reddit NASCAR is a great explanation of downforce and sideforce with regards to the cars. The links should work.

RacingBoss on Reddit said:
Sorry if I treat you like a newbie.A car uses DF and SF to remain stable at high speeds. The cars generate a lot of SF with the flat right side. Notice on the head on shot you can see the spoiler on the one side but not the other? When cars get side by side, the side force is almost cut to nothing. This means the car will use the DF to prevent from spinning out. If there is not enough DF to keep the car from spinning out, it will get sucked around. This happens a lot in the truck series.
What I'm getting to with this aero package is now that they've cut more DF it will rely more on the SF. This means getting side by side could be treacherous. They did make a couple of efforts to reduce SF for this race. They cannot skew the cars by making it drive sideways and getting the right side in the wind. The shark fin that goes down the left side of the rear window is much shorter too. I'm hoping the reduced SF and corner speeds will prevent the DF to SF ratio from being totally out of balance. SF needs to go away. It would solve many problems.
New test have shown sideforce to be way more damaging to the trailing car than having the big spoiler making the air dirty. That is why NASCAR is developing this. In a year or two, the cars will probably look like this one.

1st, 2nd, and 8th place finishers today. I'll take it! I kept rooting for Chase to challenge Logano for the win but it just wasn't happening.

There was a major fire overnight at the ThorSport shop last night in Sandusky. Reports are the shop is a complete and total loss.

Back