• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2016 NASCAR Thread - 7 Time!

And I say that with no personal prejudice, because I was not a Dale Earnhardt Sr fan (I was a DW fan)....but Dale Sr was a great driver. Now I am a Kyle Busch fan (though nowhere nearly in the same way that I was a DW fan. I was going to 8 to 10 races every year for all of the 1980s, when DW was in his prime. I haven't been to a single race since Martinsville in 2001 & don't even watch most of them on TV today....so DW was about 20 times as important to me as Kyle is now. I just pull for Kyle, I guess, because he reminds me of Darrell and the way so many of the fans hated Darrell when I was pulling for him.) ...but I don't dislike Junior personally at all. I just think that far too much is made over him, and that he is nothing special as a driver......certainly, he's not even in the same league with Kyle Busch in terms of driving ability.

Actually, when I think about it, I was going to more races than that during that time. We went to both races at Charlotte, Wilkesboro, Martinsville, Rockingham & Darlington, plus the fall race at Bristol, every year....so that's 11 races there. Then we mixed in at least a couple of races every year among Daytona, Atlanta & Talladega. So I was probably averaging going to 13 or 14 races each year.

Out of the 150+ Cup races that I have attended, my favorite was the Rebel 500 at Darlington in the spring of 1979. There is a YouTube 10-12 minute video of the last 30 laps or so of that race. I posted it below, but it wouldn't play when I tried to play it for some reason....though I have watched it many times in the past.

It was a classic duel between Waltrip & Petty in the year when the two of them battled it out all year for the Winston Cup championship. They raced "nose to tail" for the last 40 laps, climaxing with 3 different passes for the lead during the white flag lap. For any of you who have been to Darlington, you know that 3 passes for the lead in one lap there is almost unbelievable.

Here is that video. As I said, I get an error message when I try to play it, but maybe you can get it to play:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GB-YuWmHN6g

3 of the drivers mentioned in the last few posts have or will have all driven in cars either owned or driven by Dale Jr. Did you know that Keselowski got his break into the sport because of Dale, Jr? Did you also know that Keselowski got JRM's first victory, during the NAVY sponsored car? Kevin Harvick has also driven Xfinity cars for JRM & now you will have Jeff Gordon driving the 88 for at least the 2 races. As far as what Harvick did by pushing Keselowski into the crowd, Harvick told to get back in there & fight his fight. Harvick said he was tried of him(Keselowski) start crap on the tracks & not be willing to accept the consequences after the race was finished. I agree with Harvick. I wasn't a fan of his until I met him 3 years ago at a Haas Christmas party. I was also not a fan of Kurt Bush until I met him that same evening.

Congrats to Kyle Larson on coming from the back of the field, one lap down, to win at Eldora!!

So Harvick was cool at the party or what? I can see Kurt being pretty cool, despite his inner spoiled rage, but Harvick does seem like a total d bag...

So Harvick was cool at the party or what? I can see Kurt being pretty cool, despite his inner spoiled rage, but Harvick does seem like a total d bag...

Kurt is hyper competitive and will get pissed off if you jump in front of him for the line to the punch bowl. But he's a legit good guy..

Harvick is a douche.

Harvick was much cooler at the party then he was when we would see him around town in Kernersville. I say that at the same time thinking that I never approached him or anything like that because that's a little ass-hattish to me. So he could be relatively cool guy & I just judged him by how he carried himself?

I would like to say that, even though my man Jr won the Xfinityrace in Richmond, it is time for NASCAR to regulate the amount of races that full-time Sprint Cup drivers should be allowed to run Xfinity. Let these younger drivers, who are going to eventually move up, race for wins, instead of 2nd or 3rd!!

Agreed. This Kyle Busch crap is getting silly. What kind of ego does he have to keep entering? NASCAR would be smart to stop this because those of us who follow racing like myself don't watch as many lower tier races when we don't get the chance to see young talent succeed.

Agreed. This Kyle Busch crap is getting silly. What kind of ego does he have to keep entering? NASCAR would be smart to stop this because those of us who follow racing like myself don't watch as many lower tier races when we don't get the chance to see young talent succeed.

It is a product of financing.... sponsors agree to sponsor the 54 car for a full season if Kyle runs X races because they know they get excellent TV coverage for those races and then let the young guns run the remainder. Without Kyle running in the second tier series, there is then no sponsor for the young guys.

I heard about the same explanation on the Door Bumper Clear podcast this week or last week. It didn't make sense to me then, for some reason. But reading that does make sense. I'm probably just jealous that noone, this season, can figure out what JGR has found that gives them more horsepower.

165 NASCAR wins. Defending Sprint Cup Champion. Kyle didn't just start winning this year.

......and he is still only 31 years old. There are many more wins still to come!

he ain't no junior though! Remember when junior kicked his ass all season and you had to pay me all your money?! Yes! Junior!

This race is always overhyped. It's a big deal to those who grew up watching open-wheel, which is not many NASCAR fans.

Amazingly, I dominated the fantasy league this weekend. I really hate that I used Edwards so often early in the season. With his qualifying effort, I debated using him yesterday, and I'm glad I chose to hold on to him.

Kes took a hard hit yesterday in Turn 1 at the Glen during a tire test when his brakes went out. Thankfully wall technology has improved greatly over the years.

Back