• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2016 NASCAR Thread - 7 Time!

Tough break for Truex. After dominating much of the race lost his shifter.

And my fantasy team looked like crap but I'm getting low on allocations for B and C groups. I really didn't expect much more than I got. They are only a handful of consistent B group drivers and 2 in the C group that's worth a shit.

so does the second place guy get the win?

No, once the trophy has been given out, it stays with that person. What will most likely happen is that Kenseth will be penalized monetarily and points will be taken away. Due to his prior win, he's already in the Chase, so unless they make an example of him and put him at a deficit going into the Chase, it will have little impact on him. Another slap on the wrist.

And my fantasy team looked like crap but I'm getting low on allocations for B and C groups. I really didn't expect much more than I got. They are only a handful of consistent B group drivers and 2 in the C group that's worth a shit.

I'm sitting second in both the summer and full season standings, much to my amazement. I feel you on the B and C drivers though, its getting pretty lean.

so why not cheat big then. get rid of the restrictor plate. lap the field 5 times over and just pay the fine?

so why not cheat big then. get rid of the restrictor plate. lap the field 5 times over and just pay the fine?
The cars have to go through an inspection before they're allowed to qualify or run the race. They arent even allowed on the track until those inspections are passed. Then after the race, they are re-inspected. Most often the car passes inspection pre-race and something happens over the course of the race, a part breaks, the crew engineered a part to break etc, which then causes it to fail post race inspection.

I don't know if anyone else caught it, but they were showing the pit crew working on Chase's car after his incident late in the race and as they were pulling out the smashed-in rear wheel well, the guy looked around real quick and then pulled out the inside corner, which is against the rules this year. Seems like somebody else got caught doing that earlier this year but I guess they got away with it yesterday.

I definitely saw that, and my initial thought was they were able to get away with it due to the damage to the wheel well. With the amount of damage to the car from the incident, I doubt that would have given him much of a competitive advantage anyways. At the same time, I wondered what happened to the baseball bats the crews used to flare out wheel wells back in the day. It was common to see teams put a bat between the wheel and the well to ensure there was enough travel when the car loaded into the corners, but now they're never seen. Teams now pull them out by hand.

I definitely saw that, and my initial thought was they were able to get away with it due to the damage to the wheel well. With the amount of damage to the car from the incident, I doubt that would have given him much of a competitive advantage anyways. At the same time, I wondered what happened to the baseball bats the crews used to flare out wheel wells back in the day. It was common to see teams put a bat between the wheel and the well to ensure there was enough travel when the car loaded into the corners, but now they're never seen. Teams now pull them out by hand.

Odell Beckham, Jr has ruined bats being involved in any sport but baseball. What a puss!!

For the first time in his career, Jeff Gordon will drive in the Cup Series in a car not numbered 24.

For the first time in his career, Jeff Gordon will drive in the Cup Series in a car not numbered 24.

i had a feeling this was coming after listening to the podcast on Monday. i am glad that Jr is taking care of himself. honestly, i think he will retire sooner than anyone expects him to do so. then he will continue to be an owner & concentrate on just that, versus splitting his time. either way, i am all in on JRM!!

Badass. Gordon must be pretty honored to sit in the 88 since that's the first non-24 car. Man Junior is tough like his daddy, any other driver would definitely have to sit out longer with these injuries. He's TOUUUGGGHHH!

The only thing that Junior has in common with his daddy is his name. His daddy didn't ride around in 20th place all day. Junior has much more in common with Danica Patrick than he has in common with his daddy. Dale Sr came to the track to race. Junior & Danica both just come to the track to show up for their sponsors and ride around in the back of the pack. They make their money filming TV commercials.

The only thing that Junior has in common with his daddy is his name. His daddy didn't ride around in 20th place all day. Junior has much more in common with Danica Patrick than he has in common with his daddy. Dale Sr came to the track to race. Junior & Danica both just come to the track to show up for their sponsors and ride around in the back of the pack. They make their money filming TV commercials.

Glad someone other than me sees the truth!

I get that you don't like Junior, but really? Junior and Danica Patrick are the same?? Come on, Bob.

It is true that Junior is not his Dad (he has never claimed to be nor do his fans claim that he is). It is also almost assuredly true that he will retire without ever winning a NASCAR Championship. But what you say in your post is silly, and you know it. Junior has 25 Sprint Cup wins. Twenty-Five. Is that in the stratosphere of drivers like Dale Senior, Jimmie Johnson, Jeff Gordon, David Pearson, or Darrell Waltrip? No, of course not.

However, Junior has more wins than some pretty good drivers by the names of Buddy Baker (19), Benny Parsons (21), Jeff Burton (21), Terry Labonte (22), Ricky Rudd (23) -- all who ended their storied careers with less wins that Junior. By comparison, I think everyone would agree that Kurt Busch is an amazingly talented driver. Well, Kurt Busch started in the Sprint Cup series in 2000, the same year as Junior's rookie season, and he has 28 wins, only 3 more than Junior. To say that Junior is a hack and a shitty driver is just drivel.

Is Junior overexposed? I can certainly see why you and others would think that. He is on a lot of commercials and things, in large part because he is such a personable guy. Maybe if he didn't act like such a douchebag, your guy Kyle Busch might find his way on some more TV commercials, etc.

I still owe you a beer or two. Cheers.

Last edited:
2016 NASCAR Thread - Gordon Back in the Seat for Indy

Plus Junior is tough like his daddy. Old school wheel wrenchin tough, not like the new spoiled brats that bobk likes. What an honor it will be for Gordon to drive the 88 and scratch that off his bucket list!

I get that you don't like Junior, but really? Junior and Danica Patrick are the same?? Come on, Bob.

It is true that Junior is not his Dad (he has never claimed to be nor do his fans claim that he is). It is also almost assuredly true that he will retire without ever winning a NASCAR Championship. But what you say in your post is silly, and you know it. Junior has 25 Sprint Cup wins. Twenty-Five. Is that in the stratosphere of drivers like Dale Senior, Jimmie Johnson, Jeff Gordon, David Pearson, or Darrell Waltrip? No, of course not.

However, Junior has more wins than some pretty good drivers by the names of Buddy Baker (19), Benny Parsons (21), Jeff Burton (21), Terry Labonte (22), Ricky Rudd (23) -- all who ended their storied careers with less wins that Junior. By comparison, I think everyone would agree that Kurt Busch is an amazingly talented driver. Well, Kurt Busch started in the Sprint Cup series in 2000, the same year as Junior's rookie season, and he has 28 wins, only 3 more than Junior. To say that Junior is a hack and a shitty driver is just drivel.

Is Junior overexposed? I can certainly see why you and others would think that. He is on a lot of commercials and things, in large part because he is such a personable guy. Maybe if he didn't act like such a douchebag, your guy Kyle Busch might find his way on some more TV commercials, etc.

I still owe you a beer or two. Cheers.

Actually, I do like Junior as a person. He seems like a very personable guy.....something else that he doesn't have in common with his dad, who was a great...but very dirty....driver. Racing aside, I like Junior just fine. And I know he's had several wins. However, an unusually large portion of them were on restrictor plate tracks where it's more car than driver. Also, he's been in about the best equipment that money can buy.

I guess that I just have a weak spot for Rubbins' obvious trolling.

Thought for the Day, though: When you think about it....and if you are really honest about it.....Kyle Busch is really far more like Dale Earnhardt Sr.... in both driving ability and sometimes jerky attitude....than is Junior.

And I say that with no personal prejudice, because I was not a Dale Earnhardt Sr fan (I was a DW fan)....but Dale Sr was a great driver. Now I am a Kyle Busch fan (though nowhere nearly in the same way that I was a DW fan. I was going to 8 to 10 races every year for all of the 1980s, when DW was in his prime. I haven't been to a single race since Martinsville in 2001 & don't even watch most of them on TV today....so DW was about 20 times as important to me as Kyle is now. I just pull for Kyle, I guess, because he reminds me of Darrell and the way so many of the fans hated Darrell when I was pulling for him.) ...but I don't dislike Junior personally at all. I just think that far too much is made over him, and that he is nothing special as a driver......certainly, he's not even in the same league with Kyle Busch in terms of driving ability.

Last edited:
We can all agree that Harvick is the best driver in Cup today...while also have a little bit of Dale Sr fire in him.

We can all agree that Harvick is the best driver in Cup today...while also have a little bit of Dale Sr fire in him.

Meh, Harvick only has 7 more wins (32) than Dale, Jr. in essentially the same time span. Ergo, he sucks. :)p bkf!)

Meh, Harvick only has 7 more wins (32) than Dale, Jr. in essentially the same time span. Ergo, he sucks. :)p bkf!)

If I had to pick out the driver that I most disliked personally, it would probably be Kevin Harvick. I think he is just a little smartass. That gutless stunt he pulled in the garage at Texas when he slipped up and pushed Keselowski into Gordon to try to get a fight started between them is what always comes to mind anytime I think about Kevin Harvick.

I think Harvick is a better driver than Junior...but I think that Junior is a much more likable person than Harvick.

Back