• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2016 NASCAR Thread - 7 Time!

What up with June Bug? Seriously, a prolific driver, icon of the sport, arguable future HoF, and it seems like there's not much info. Not much makes me nervous but this is starting to give those vibes.

As I mentioned in an earlier post on this thread, I think we may have seen the last of Junior as a NASCAR driver. With all the money he has made from 17 years of cashing in on his father's name, why would he want to go back out there and keep running 20th every week?

I think Junior might take the Richard Childress route after this year and become a car owner. Childress never was much of a driver, either, but he became a very successful car owner when he hooked up with Junior's dad.....and Junior has far more money & connections than Childress had when he got started as a car owner.

As I mentioned in an earlier post on this thread, I think we may have seen the last of Junior as a NASCAR driver. With all the money he has made from 17 years of cashing in on his father's name, why would he want to go back out there and keep running 20th every week?

I think Junior might take the Richard Childress route after this year and become a car owner. Childress never was much of a driver, either, but he became a very successful car owner when he hooked up with Junior's dad.....and Junior has far more money & connections than Childress had when he got started as a car owner.

Yeah similarities don't end there either. Childress has made a habit of hiring drivers based entirely on last name and/or daddy's money. Jr, having spent years being the recipient of that model, may embrace it as an owner as well.

Junior has been riding in the best equipment money could buy for the last 9 years at Hendrick Motorsports.....and during those 9 years he has won exactly 2 races on tracks under 2 miles in length: once at Martinsville & once at Phoenix. The other 7 wins were at Daytona (2), Michigan (2), Pocono (2) & Talladega. These are tracks where the car is more important than the driver.

Rubbins likes to talk about Junior being "Old School". Even though everyone understands that he is only trolling when he does this, it should be pointed out that tracks like Martinsville, Bristol, Darlington & Rockingham are "Old School" tracks....places where the driver is the key to winning. Junior has 96 starts in Cup races at those four tracks....with only 2 wins to show for it.

Because of his genial personality and the fierce loyalty of his father's legions of fans, Junior has been a marketing gold mine. He's a very likable guy....but an "Old School Driver" he ain't.

A great start to the weekend with guys getting their first win. Hopefully the trend continues today.

Lol anybody that argues Junior isn't old school knows nothing about him or the sport. Like, they would probably bet against him and lose tons of money to Rubbins. Ooops

Junior is quickly becoming a has-been who never was. A guy who couldn't even begin to compete for a championship in his 17-year career, despite driving the best equipment that money could buy. An "icon" wins more than 2 out of 96 races on iconic tracks like Martinsville, Bristol, Darlington & Rockingham. If cashing in on your father's name is old school, Junior is definitely old school. It's really pretty simple: Danica sells sex. Junior sells his father's name. That's about all that either of them are good for. Junior is just a legend in your own mind. A fairly nice guy who is about the 20th best driver out there today. That's why he is quitting after this year....after accomplishing pitifully little relative to the calibre of equipment he was able to drive due to his name. 2 wins in 9 years in Hendrick equipment on tracks less than 2 miles in length. I hope he has brought in a lot of money for Hendrick, because he has just wasted one of his cars over the last 9 years.

And if you can't see this, you are the one who doesn't know much about racing. I've been to more than 150 Cup races in my life. I think I understand a little about the sport.

Also, if you think that $20 is "tons of money" you must really be hurting. I left more than that as a tip when we took my son, his wife & the grandkids out to eat at Sedgefield last Thursday night.

Junior is quickly becoming a has-been who never was. A guy who couldn't even begin to compete for a championship in his 17-year career, despite driving the best equipment that money could buy. An "icon" wins more than 2 out of 96 races on iconic tracks like Martinsville, Bristol, Darlington & Rockingham. If cashing in on your father's name is old school, Junior is definitely old school. It's really pretty simple: Danica sells sex. Junior sells his father's name. That's about all that either of them are good for. Junior is just a legend in your own mind. A fairly nice guy who is about the 20th best driver out there today. That's why he is quitting after this year....after accomplishing pitifully little relative to the calibre of equipment he was able to drive due to his name. 2 wins in 9 years in Hendrick equipment on tracks less than 2 miles in length. I hope he has brought in a lot of money for Hendrick, because he has just wasted one of his cars over the last 9 years.

And if you can't see this, you are the one who doesn't know much about racing. I've been to more than 150 Cup races in my life. I think I understand a little about the sport.

Also, if you think that $20 is "tons of money" you must really be hurting. I left more than that as a tip when we took my son, his wife & the grandkids out to eat at Sedgefield last Thursday night.

It's awesome when people forget that Rubbins is trolling them.

It's awesome when people forget that Rubbins is trolling them.

Yeah, I know what he is doing...and I still can't make myself ignore him. It really isn't that hard to figure out, as he goes out of his way with those outrageous terms. You have to know what he is doing. If he toned that stuff down a little bit, the trolling would be more hidden. Oh well, it will all be over after this year, anyway.

And the irony of this is that I actually like Junior. Unlike his dad, he really seems like a nice guy.

Still waiting on your yearly Bristol report tsy!!! Were you able to stay through Sunday to watch the best driver in the history of NASCAR win?
Also to jump in briefly on the Jr convo, I always thought it was interesting that so many of his dad's fans went to him. I was a huge 3 fan growing up and I took the opposite route. I stayed with the car and that's why I've been a Harvick fan for the past 15 years.

Still waiting on your yearly Bristol report tsy!!! Were you able to stay through Sunday to watch the best driver in the history of NASCAR win?
Also to jump in briefly on the Jr convo, I always thought it was interesting that so many of his dad's fans went to him. I was a huge 3 fan growing up and I took the opposite route. I stayed with the car and that's why I've been a Harvick fan for the past 15 years.

It can best be summed up with this picture....
its-gon-rain.jpg

It seriously rained every day we were there. We tried out the somewhat famous Ridgewood BBQ, which had been voted best BBQ in Tennessee. They BBQd the pork the way we do in NC, but cooked it to a lower temperature, then sliced it similar to the beef on a Philly cheese-steak. They then cooled it and threw it on a flat top griddle when you ordered it. The sauce was a Memphis based, super sweet molasses sauce. Not bad, but something I'd only want to have on an annual basis.

Tuesday evening we had a massive thunderstorm which brought strong winds and lightning. Luckily our campground has no trees, but a large tree fell and destroyed 3 rvs a few campgrounds over. Wednesday continued to be my favorite night of the week with the modified/truck race combination. It was delayed again by weather, but it was great to see Ben Kennedy win the race. Thursday we found a great microbrewery in Bristol, VA called Studio Brew. They served food, but we were only interested in the beer. They had a few great bourbon barrel collection brews. Friday's race went off without a hitch, fortunately. The stickum used on the bottom groove was interesting, in that it wasnt very sticky until it got warmed up, then after about 150-200 laps, the grip started to wear off. It helped equalize the top groove though, which made a big difference when a faster car would dive to the inside to try and pass. For the first time since the 2012 grinding, the cars actually stuck. Racing wise, it was the best racing at Bristol that I've seen in a while. Cars were able to run all 3 grooves, and the fast line would change at different points in the race, so it was interesting to see different drivers moving around trying to find it.

Then we got to Saturday. Showers off and on throughout the day, and a delayed start to the race. It was a constant battle between the track and the elements. The track would get 95% dry and ready to race and the rains returned. The downpour that ultimately made them call the race was the heaviest I've ever seen it rain during a race. In my 30 years of going to Bristol, this is the first time its ever been rained out. There's no way the race would have been able to finish that night, as it rained off and on until at least 1am. Once we heard the 1pm start on Sunday, we made the decision to wake up and head on home. We all had to be at work on Monday morning, plus the meteorologists were calling for rain most of Sunday. We packed up and were out the door by 8am. We hit rain about 10 miles out from Bristol and were in it for most of the trip home. Oh well, there's always next year.

After he'd miss 3 or 4 races, including a non-race weekend in there, I had a feeling this news was coming. I figured he'd either be out the rest of the season and come back for one more year or come back soon and call it a career at the end of this year. Looks like he might be done and not coming back at all.

Still miles ahead of Danica.

That's true. It is kindof crazy, it was just a few years ago that Kasey had as good of a pre-Chase run (mixed with broken wheel hubs, blown engines, etc) as any of the Hendrick cars. Now he just kindof sucks.

I've just never understood how a driver of substantially less talent can fit in with the rest of their teammates and offer quality intel/help. JGR has 4 really good drivers. Penske now has 3. Childress has none. SHR has 3 and Danica. RH has 2 and then Jr. and Kahne.

I love all of the throwback schemes. I believe there's only one cup team that didn't do some form of throwback this year. Today should be fun.

Back