• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

NFL Offseason Thread: NFL Draft - Rams pick Goff #1

Lovie Smith fired

Bucs seems to be on the Browns program of trying to see how many head coaches you can burn through. Supposedly Chip Kelly had agreed to be the Bucs coach before backing out and returning for his final year at Oregon, so maybe they want to try him again?

Only giving him one year with jameis is bold. Definitely think the panthers did it right with Rivera.

Unless the Bucs have a HOF candidate lined up, this is just dumb. I can't think of a worst year to be looking for a HC. So many openings and so few legit candidates.

I didn't like the Lovie hiring when it happened so I'm glad he's gone. Sounds like it's probably Dirk Koetter's job to lose.

I know it's prestige and blah blah blah, but who the hell would want to be an NFL coach with this kind of complete lack of stability/loyalty?

I know it's prestige and blah blah blah, but who the hell would want to be an NFL coach with this kind of complete lack of stability/loyalty?

Because you are a football coach, and they will pay you all the monies. It's not like college is known for its loyalty right now.

I didn't like the Lovie hiring when it happened so I'm glad he's gone. Sounds like it's probably Dirk Koetter's job to lose.

That's funny. I was watching a Bucs season wrap up on one of the local stations and they quickly dismissed the idea that Lovie was on the hot seat and said the most important thing was to keep Koetter. They said they weren't sure if he'd be interviewing because he seemed like a guy who liked being a coordinator.

Because you are a football coach, and they will pay you all the monies. It's not like college is known for its loyalty right now.

Also, most football coaches have big egos and probably think the NFL simply isn't loyal to the bad coaches or it's just a few bad franchises that aren't loyal and they wouldn't work for them anyway.

the bucs should hire mike shula and roman harper as DC

Yea not a good crop of coaches. When Adam Gase is the top commodity it's not good

Yeah. I heard (i think) Harlan and Gannon talking about the Pats' coordinators on Sunday's broadcast, and I just don't see it. I guess McDaniels could probably be a fine coach for someone this go-around, but Patricia? Really? I don't see the hype. He's had a couple of really good defenses here, sure, but he's also had a ton of talent... Last year's D should have been great, and it's frankly hard to give him credit for it. I guess I'd give him credit for Sheard and the continued development of Jamie Collins, but those were probably more strong personnel decisions by BB than anything Patricia did. I think he definitely gets points for the massive steps forward taken by Chung and Hightower (seriously, look at Hightower's pass coverage two years ago and look at it now. it's like night and day), but meh.

I dunno, hope he proves me wrong.

he still has 4 years left on his contract in Detroit

CJ is either really thinking about hanging it up (in which case he's done), or he's dropping a not so subtle hint that he wants out of Detroit and is trying to force a trade. Didn't Sanders do something similar? I think I remember reading about he was upset about playing in Bobby Ross' offense and wanted to go back to the I formation or something. Then they either called each others' bluffs? Townie, do you remember?

Only giving him one year with jameis is bold. Definitely think the panthers did it right with Rivera.

Pretty surprising that he got fired after only one year with his franchise QB. Bucs musta decided he really wasn't going to get them anywhere, even though he just got his QB. I too thought he would get another year. But each year usually has one "surprise" coach firing. Looks like Lovie is it for this year.

Johnson's contract is unsustainable. He's due $24 million next year. The Lions will never get better paying that kind of money to a WR. That's $10 million more than AJ Green gets next year. Green is the current #2 top paid WR. So Johnson is taking a paycut wherever he plays next year.

Pretty surprising that he got fired after only one year with his franchise QB. Bucs musta decided he really wasn't going to get them anywhere, even though he just got his QB. I too thought he would get another year. But each year usually has one "surprise" coach firing. Looks like Lovie is it for this year.

If Koetter gets the job, then it makes some sense. If they viewed Koetter as the reason for Winston's progress and didn't want to lose him to another HC vacancy, I can see it. If Tampa hires someone else, it makes zero sense.

CJ is either really thinking about hanging it up (in which case he's done), or he's dropping a not so subtle hint that he wants out of Detroit and is trying to force a trade. Didn't Sanders do something similar? I think I remember reading about he was upset about playing in Bobby Ross' offense and wanted to go back to the I formation or something. Then they either called each others' bluffs? Townie, do you remember?

This sounds completely out of character for Sanders.

If Koetter gets the job, then it makes some sense. If they viewed Koetter as the reason for Winston's progress and didn't want to lose him to another HC vacancy, I can see it. If Tampa hires someone else, it makes zero sense.

Bucs did something similar with Raheem Morris. Morris was the DC under Gruden. Morris interviewed for the Broncos job that eventually went to McDaniel. Bucs didn't want to lose Morris so they fired Gruden.

Bucs are a mismanaged franchise with bad ownership. Perennial doormat for a reason.

Back