• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

NFL Offseason Thread: NFL Draft - Rams pick Goff #1

Bad move by Hue. He was going to get another offer, probably this year. When you interview with a company, you don't have to take the job if the company sucks. Everyone knows the Browns are a terrible company to work for.

They've had six coaches in eight years now. I'm sure all those other coaches were eager to take the job and thought they'd be better than all those other guys.

Any chance of a thread title change ? I mean, Megatron's contract posturing is not that big of a deal and it's old news.

fWx327.gif

Bad move by Hue. He was going to get another offer, probably this year. When you interview with a company, you don't have to take the job if the company sucks. Everyone knows the Browns are a terrible company to work for.

They've had six coaches in eight years now. I'm sure all those other coaches were eager to take the job and thought they'd be better than all those other guys.

Not really a fair assessment. Two different owners went through those six coaches and there is a completely new front office in Cleveland. Obviously they have been the model of dysfunction in the NFL, but the firings generally haven't been personality clashes, just poor results. This appears to be the first time that Jimmy Haslam has remodeled the way the organization runs as a business, as well as the way they evaluate talent. It's well-known that Haslam has been humbled by his epic mistakes in the 2014 draft, not just with Manziel but with Justin Gilbert as well. It appears Hue evaluated the opportunity looking forward, not back. Hue is also Haslam's first hire that has established HC experience and wasn't picked up off the scrap floor of remaining coaches.

But this being the Browns, I can't wait to see how it all spectacularly falls apart.

Not really a fair assessment. Two different owners went through those six coaches and there is a completely new front office in Cleveland. Obviously they have been the model of dysfunction in the NFL, but the firings generally haven't been personality clashes, just poor results. This appears to be the first time that Jimmy Haslam has remodeled the way the organization runs as a business, as well as the way they evaluate talent. It's well-known that Haslam has been humbled by his epic mistakes in the 2014 draft, not just with Manziel but with Justin Gilbert as well. It appears Hue evaluated the opportunity looking forward, not back. Hue is also Haslam's first hire that has established HC experience and wasn't picked up off the scrap floor of remaining coaches.

But this being the Browns, I can't wait to see how it all spectacularly falls apart.

tumblr_m2s3ufUpbO1qcoa6s.gif

Oh I'm sorry do you disagree with my factual statement? Please, enlighten me with more of your hot takes.

Well, first of all, Haslam has now hired his third coach since buying the team in 2012. Haslam has a history of mistakes, and even if Hue isn't one, he still has a piece of shit franchise that has had 3 winning season in the past 25 years, with no quarterback, no running back, not much real talent on the roster, and no ability to attract free agents.

This being the Browns, I can't wait to see how it all spectacularly falls apart.

Oh I'm sorry do you disagree with my factual statement? Please, enlighten me with more of your hot takes.

Not sure if Biff is disagreeing with your saying it'll spectacularly fall apart or the prior paragraph cutting Haslam a break because this is Haslam's 1st hire. But I will say that Haslam's new restructuring is a tad odd, and that's viewing it in the most favorable light to Haslam. Most NFL talking heads seem to believe it's a really effed up chain of command for a football operation. Add that to jettisoning Johnny Football and Haslam insinuating they'll take a QB with their 1st round pick in an iffy QB draft, and it's a pretty easy prediction that this experiment will blow up in another 1.5 years.

Well, first of all, Haslam has now hired his third coach since buying the team in 2012. Haslam has a history of mistakes, and even if Hue isn't one, he still has a piece of shit franchise that has had 3 winning season in the past 25 years, with no quarterback, no running back, not much real talent on the roster, and no ability to attract free agents.

This being the Browns, I can't wait to see how it all spectacularly falls apart.

Right, and that's looking back at the past. He took the job, didn't he? So there's almost no way that he relied on that history when taking the job. That would be a really bad move.

I presented factual statements that are forward-looking, which provide a much clearer picture of why a top candidate like Hue Jackson would take the head coaching gig. Unsupportable statements like "everyone knows" the Browns are terrible to work for were thus addressed with facts about the current state of the franchise, and why that MIGHT no longer be the case. Looking forward also presents a case why free agents might be more willing to go to Cleveland, even though they supposedly have "no ability" to do so (another unsupported statement), and a possible ability through the changing of talent evaluation techniques to boost the talent level on the roster. Now if you had said, I think this is a bad move because the Browns are historically bad (true) and a series of professionals see flaws in the Browns' new front office structure (also true - cville's post), then that would have been a more intelligent answer. Instead you put out a hot take of derrrr the Browns suck and are horrible to work for.

I'm not saying the Browns will suddenly be good, or even functional. Heaven's no - this is the Browns we're talking about. This may be an even bigger dumpster fire than it was last year. But you gave a really dumb, unsupported answer as to why a top coaching candidate shouldn't have taken the job, then acted like my statement was the dumb one. It didn't seem like a joke, just a shitty take. Hue Jackson isn't dumb. He had other HC options, unlike Chudzinski and Pettine. He obviously saw something he liked about the present state of the Browns.

tumblr_mxx24a7wMc1qa3pfso1_400.gif

why rams are moving probably..

hue jackson is a standard retread hire. sorry cleveland

He's a 50 year old who only has one year as a head coach going 8-8 with the Raiders. He's not a retread. Not a home run hire, but other teams will do worse.

Giants are going with McAdoo, who was apparently their choice from the beginning hence their half-assed attempt to look like they were doing a full search. Expect them to set a new NFL season high for delay of game penalties this year. I do like the fact that it won't be a major change for ELIte with only a few years left for him. Joe Philbin as OC and keeping Spags as DC. They could have Belichick back as DC and it wouldn't matter unless they get some actual players on defense and can keep them healthy. They'll have about $60 million of cap space this offseason, so they should be loading up. Hopefully Eric Berry and Danny Travatheon will be the prime targets. They'll also probably try to get Sanu to play alongside ODB. Hopefully no stupid signing like last year (signing IR Beason to an extension in lieu of letting Linval Joseph walk).

Back