• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

NFL Offseason Thread: NFL Draft - Rams pick Goff #1

Seems pretty strange to just cut the head off with Coughlin and promote from within. I guess they want the continuity on offense but it still feels pretty weird. I think Philbin would be a good get at OC and I think most fans like Spags but were frustrated with some play calling this year.

Pats probably can't resign Chandler Jones alongside Hightower and Collins (or will have to make a choice out of those three and I expect Jones to be a free agent) and Giants seem like a decent spot for him. Pure speculation on my part though.

I think they thought somebody was going to hire McAdoo as a head coach (he was allegedly Philly's top target), and they think he'll be a really good one, so they figured they'd take him at age 38 over Coughlin at 70. Similar to what the Bucs did when they fired Gruden to keep Raheem Morris. Other than the delay of game penalties, he ran the offense pretty well given the OLine injuries. The defensive personnel was the primary problem, so hopefully the go all-in on defense in the draft and FA.

Giants are going with McAdoo, who was apparently their choice from the beginning hence their half-assed attempt to look like they were doing a full search. Expect them to set a new NFL season high for delay of game penalties this year. I do like the fact that it won't be a major change for ELIte with only a few years left for him. Joe Philbin as OC and keeping Spags as DC. They could have Belichick back as DC and it wouldn't matter unless they get some actual players on defense and can keep them healthy. They'll have about $60 million of cap space this offseason, so they should be loading up. Hopefully Eric Berry and Danny Travatheon will be the prime targets. They'll also probably try to get Sanu to play alongside ODB. Hopefully no stupid signing like last year (signing IR Beason to an extension in lieu of letting Linval Joseph walk).

David Shaw said no?

I don't think they ever considered him. The Maras have never hired a head coach directly from the college ranks that I'm aware of, certainly not in the modern era.

ESPN reporting the Niners will hire Chip Kelly or Mike Shanahan.

If he doesn't get SF, I could see Kelly serving for a year as Belichick's OC if McDaniels gets hired somewhere, to get his image back before he dupes someone else into hiring him for a head coaching job.

Niners hire Chip Kelly. Kaep must be happy.

They'll dig each other's final NFL graves?

I don't know. But it's an interesting move. Kaep played pretty well under Harbs. And Gabbert is fairly mobile as well. I look for Kelly to pick up RG3 next. If there is a coach who can salvage Kaep, it's probably Kelly. And hiring Kelly makes some sense if you're SF. If you get rid of Kaep, you're completely starting over on O and probably relying on getting a QB with the #7 pick. Whereas, if you keep Kaep, and he can adequately run Chip's offense, you can at least keep fannies in seats. It's a gamble, but there is a certain logic to the move.

Cleveland hired Moneyball's Paul DePodesta as "Chief Strategy Officer" earlier, so you'd think their new head coach would be on board with being the NFL's first analytics HC. Seems like a boom/bust situation. Looking for Cleveland to not punt and always go for 2 point conversion. They should be very active in the off-season.

They also hired a contract lawyer with no meaningful football personnel experience to have final say over their 53-man roster. I'd say they'll be squarely in the bust situation.

They also hired a contract lawyer with no meaningful football personnel experience to have final say over their 53-man roster. I'd say they'll be squarely in the bust situation.
Are you sad that the browns made a better hire than the giants?

Eagles hire Doug Pederson as head coach.

No, I'm not joking.

Bucs hire Koetter.

Eagles hire Doug Pederson as head coach.

No, I'm not joking.

Bc nothing says Head Coach material like Offensive Coordinator that doesn't call plays for 27th ranked Offense and threw 0 TDs to a WR last yr

Back