• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Saudi World Golf Tour 2022/2023 Thread

There is a lot of talk among the Champions Tour players that Langer is still putting illegally. Not doing it intentionally, but that the way he does it violates the rule.

Yeah honestly it bugs me because Langer looks like he's putting the very same he did before. Again, he's always come across as an honest stand-up guy, but it basically seems like the rule is that he can hold the top hand as close to his chest as possible without anchoring and that's really too vague I think. I think the rule should've been that there has to be "visible" space between your hand or grip and the potential anchoring point.

Bill could have all but shored up his place at the Open. Instead, JB Holmes got the big bump. Looks like Bill needs to win one coming home to make the team because I can't imagine he gets picked over the likes of Bubba, Fowler, Snedeker, Reed, or (gasp) Furyk.

Holmes missing the cut at Wyndham does not help his cause and he continues to slip a bit. May not slip out of the top 9, but Haas playing well in GSO and the next week at Barclays might be enough to get him a serious look as the last Capt's pick. He's pretty consistent and can be the "steady-Eddie" type partner that everyone thinks Furyk is. But both have putting issues yet excellent short games. So I would hope that Love would take the longer guy off the tee when possible, but we shall see.

At this point, Bill doesn't merit a captain's pick. But neither does Furyk. I'll be pissed if Love picks Furyk.

At this point, Bill doesn't merit a captain's pick. But neither does Furyk. I'll be pissed if Love picks Furyk.

He's 14th right behind Rickie, Bubba and Piercy. You could make a case that he's played better than all 3 this summer. Not saying much, but Piercy has really dropped off since Bridgestone and is erratic off the tee. Bubba is a head case who can't putt anyway and I have no idea why Rickie has been so spotty this whole season. I'd take Rickie, Bill and Kuchar, who's sitting 11th and riding some 'mo after his bronze in Rio (assuming Holmes sticks at 9 and gets taken over Bubba). But not sure you want both Bubba and JBH as CP if they are both playing mediocre golf of late.

Last edited:
Holmes missing the cut at Wyndham does not help his cause and he continues to slip a bit. May not slip out of the top 9, but Haas playing well in GSO and the next week at Barclays might be enough to get him a serious look as the last Capt's pick. He's pretty consistent and can be the "steady-Eddie" type partner that everyone thinks Furyk is. But both have putting issues yet excellent short games. So I would hope that Love would take the longer guy off the tee when possible, but we shall see.

I think Holmes is a lock. He had one of the better records in the majors for Americans this year, and he is an absolute weapon in fourballs.

Agree with LK. If the standings hold, Love should take 1-12 without a single complaint. I hope Bill can win one of the next few but his putting and Sunday play while in contention this year has been poor. That does not bode well for the Ryder Cup.

Seems like it would be easy to see if Langer was anchoring it or not. The rule change was that you can no longer anchor right? I don't think you need a rule saying "there must be visible space" since I do think if he was actually illegally anchoring it there would be video or someone he had played with would have notified him/a rules official about it.

I think Holmes is a lock. He had one of the better records in the majors for Americans this year, and he is an absolute weapon in fourballs.

I would certainly rather have JBH over Bubba at this point if it comes down to taking one of the two if Holmes stays at 9 or slips further. Now watch Bubba go out and win the Barclays and this will be a moot point.

But if Love takes Bubba, Furyk, Rickie in addition to JBH, it's still a team capable of winning, but haven't we been getting our asses handed to us in foursomes, not four ball? I can't quite remember.

He's 14th right behind Rickie, Bubba and Piercy. You could make a case that he's played better than all 3 this summer. Not saying much, but Piercy has really dropped off since Bridgestone and is erratic off the tee. Bubba is a head case who can't putt anyway and I have no idea why Rickie has been so spotty this whole season. I'd take Rickie, Bill and Kuchar, who's sitting 11th and riding some 'mo after his bronze in Rio (assuming Holmes sticks at 9 and gets taken over Bubba). But not sure you want both Bubba and JBH as CP if they are both playing mediocre golf of late.

Piercy is certainly arguable, I agree. But ain't no way I'd take him over Bubba or Rickie. I know Rickie has been about as awful as Furyk at the RC, but he's higher in the rankings, has a much higher profile, and let's face it - Rickie has been the better player for the last 2-3 years and has been more impressive in bigger tourneys.

Seems like it would be easy to see if Langer was anchoring it or not. The rule change was that you can no longer anchor right? I don't think you need a rule saying "there must be visible space" since I do think if he was actually illegally anchoring it there would be video or someone he had played with would have notified him/a rules official about it.

http://www.businessinsider.com/bernhard-langer-masters-anchored-putter-not-anchored-2016-4

Seems awfully close to me.

Meh, it seems like there is a little gap. I've always disliked Langer, but he's on the senior tour so I really don't care. That rule shouldn't apply to seniors anyway. Plus the rule is stupid as all get out anyway. If you want to legislate the ridiculous scoring, you have to go after technology not certain putting strokes. I doubt the rule would have gone into place in the 1st place had it not been for Webb and Keegan winning majors by anchoring.

Kuchar WDs this week with an illness. Likely means DL3 has told him he will be a pick.

Kuchar WDs this week with an illness. Likely means DL3 has told him he will be a pick.

He's had a good Spring and Summer and won the bronze in Rio. He should be a lock, despite underperforming for team cville in a couple majors. Given who the current top 12 are, how in the heck can DL3 justify deviating from that 12? If he takes Furyk over Holmes, I might have to root for Europe.

Kuchar is a lock after his Sunday at the Olympics.

They were showing the singles from the '91 Ryder Cup on the Golf Channel last night (the famous "War By The Shore"). I had forgotten how much Hale Irwin fell apart over the last few holes of his match, only to have Langer miss that six footer--with a short putter that he was anchoring to his left forearm.

^ I had never seen the tv footage of Calcaveccia's meltdown on the last four holes - he was four up with four to play over Monty and lost all four holes, including missing a 2-3 foot putt on 17 that would have won the match. Azinger was clutch down the stretch against Olazabal

Last edited:
^ I had never seen the tv footage of Calcaveccia's meltdown on the last four holes - he was four up with four to play over Monty and lost all four holes, including missing a 2-3 foot putt on 17 that would have won the match. Azinger was clutch down the stretch against Olazabal

I remember Calc - he was atrocious over those last few holes. Fortunately, they didn't have a camera on him when he went out to the beach afterwards by himself. And yeah, Irwin and Langer were both yakking. That Langer missed putt is 1 of my most favorite missed putts of all time. It was really windy that weekend, and that course was brutal - especially for folks hitting wooden woods off the tee. Can't imagine playing that course with 1990s equipment in the wind - even if I were a pro.

I don't remember Langer putting that way. That's what I do - have an old blade that I anchor to my left forearm. Been doing it for years, and don't get why more folks don't try it. A lot more comfortable than left hand low, the claw or any of that crap.

I remember Calc - he was atrocious over those last few holes. Fortunately, they didn't have a camera on him when he went out to the beach afterwards by himself. And yeah, Irwin and Langer were both yakking. That Langer missed putt is 1 of my most favorite missed putts of all time. It was really windy that weekend, and that course was brutal - especially for folks hitting wooden woods off the tee. Can't imagine playing that course with 1990s equipment in the wind - even if I were a pro.

I don't remember Langer putting that way. That's what I do - have an old blade that I anchor to my left forearm. Been doing it for years, and don't get why more folks don't try it. A lot more comfortable than left hand low, the claw or any of that crap.

That was one of the other things that stood out--they were actually using wooden clubs.

I really hope we don't screw this Ryder Cup up the way we have so many times recently.

Calc went over to the surf after that and bawled his eyes out I think. Or threw up. I remember reading it in one of the old golf digest articles about that day.

Back