• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Saudi World Golf Tour 2022/2023 Thread

it's gonna come down to Day and Rory and that will be great.

Yeah. He was a little wild and had those 2 muffed chips on 9, but his putter was Spieth-like. He made a number of clutch putts in the middle of the round to keep the separation. I think his A game is the best in the world. He hits it as far and as well as Rory when Rory is on, and his short game isn't much worse than Jordan's. Jason was also helped out by absolutely no one making any kind of serious run at him.

Speaking of Rory and putting, what has happened to his putter? Every time they show him on a green he's missing another makeable putt.

The guy who I thought might make a run was Matsuyama, but he had another lackluster final round. I like his swing, and he's no longer 1 of those secretly good players - I think everyone expects him to contend in majors now. But does any golfer in the world have more pressure on him than Matsuyama? When I went to East Lake last year, he had a Japanese camera crew on him at all times. There have been some nice Japanese golfers through the years, but none with his long game and all around game. And it's like he has the pressure of a nation directly on him. I hope that doesn't doom him and that he can win a couple majors.

Rory is transitioning to left hand low... I always find it amazing when guys change fundamental pieces of their game after reaching #1 in the world. The Sergio experiment put the breaks on a lot of full swing changes at least. Next up McIlroy will go for the claw.

Day is the perfect combination of extreme talent and extreme desire. He wants it as much as (more than?) Spieth and is as talented as (more than?) Rory.

Day is the perfect combination of extreme talent and extreme desire. He wants it as much as (more than?) Spieth and is as talented as (more than?) Rory.

At the same time it took him 9 years to get his 2nd win on the PGA Tour. It'll be interesting to see if he can keep it up - the Tigers and Rory's and Spieths won much earlier.

the dude has won 7 of the last 17 tournaments he's entered. he may have won the us open last year if the vertigo didnt make him curl up on the fairway in the middle of the round. he was tied for the lead after the third round. i dont think he is some kind of a fluke.

At the same time it took him 9 years to get his 2nd win on the PGA Tour. It'll be interesting to see if he can keep it up - the Tigers and Rory's and Spieths won much earlier.

His streak reminds me a bit of David Duval. I don't think he'll fall off as quickly, but it's hard to keep that level of focus for a long time with injury issues and raising a young family. For right now, he's basically merged the best part of Rory's game with the best part of Spieth's game and created a super golfer. I think he's in Spieth's head now too, and both he and Spieth know it.

the dude has won 7 of the last 17 tournaments he's entered. he may have won the us open last year if the vertigo didnt make him curl up on the fairway in the middle of the round. he was tied for the lead after the third round. i dont think he is some kind of a fluke.

Yeah, fluke isn't what I mean. It's just that he wasn't a raw talent that appeared on the scene and started winning. He's gotten there through extremely hard work, and he often talks about how much he's having to give up family-wise and the level of effort it takes. He openly talked about The Players getting into the Hall of Fame. I just wouldn't be surprised if his ability to keep the work ethic that high wanes more quickly than a natural talent would. Plus he's had serious back issues. His peak is insanely high, I just wouldn't be surprised if it's done in a year or two - not 5+.

I think his back ultimately slows him down.

Agree about his back not holding up consistently. He and Sneds are the 2 relatively young guys on tour who just seem to have trouble staying healthy for an entire season.

As for being in Jordan's head, whose head isn't he in? Dude hits it like Rory and chips and putts like Spieth. How do you beat that when he's on? He's also a very likeable guy with a great life story. One of the things I really like about this young group of great players is they're all nice guys and have a good time in each others' company. And they're open with the media and will say what they're thinking. Beats the prickly Tiger and Phil days and the 1990s when the Euros and Americans mostly hated each other. And it goes beyond these 3 stars. Zach, Shrek and Leishman were yucking it up in the Open playoff last year.

Yeah. He was a little wild and had those 2 muffed chips on 9, but his putter was Spieth-like. He made a number of clutch putts in the middle of the round to keep the separation. I think his A game is the best in the world. He hits it as far and as well as Rory when Rory is on, and his short game isn't much worse than Jordan's. Jason was also helped out by absolutely no one making any kind of serious run at him.

Speaking of Rory and putting, what has happened to his putter? Every time they show him on a green he's missing another makeable putt.

The guy who I thought might make a run was Matsuyama, but he had another lackluster final round. I like his swing, and he's no longer 1 of those secretly good players - I think everyone expects him to contend in majors now. But does any golfer in the world have more pressure on him than Matsuyama? When I went to East Lake last year, he had a Japanese camera crew on him at all times. There have been some nice Japanese golfers through the years, but none with his long game and all around game. And it's like he has the pressure of a nation directly on him. I hope that doesn't doom him and that he can win a couple majors.

There is something to your last paragraph about Hideki

Alright, so does our boy Willy Z have a chance at making the cut? What's his playing style?

Matsuyama's pause and super slow transition is a thing of beauty on full swings. Only problem is that the same move on sand shots and short pitches just seems disjointed. #5 on tour in strokes gained tee-to-green, #1 in birdie average, #5 in scoring... But outside the top 150 in sand saves, scrambilng from 15 yards+, and proximity distance on those shots. His 75-100 yard proximity average is only 2 feet further away than his sand trap average proximity. Pretty crazy. Jason Day's for example is doubled.

They send news crews for all of their golfers.

I remember Ryo Ishikawa having the same set up and he was always kinda meh.

Back