• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Alex Kinal impressing @ Senior Bowl

Just super raw in terms of NFL punting. The roll-out punt can't work in the NFL since only the "Gunners" can cross the line of scrimmage before ball is kicked.

He needs to work on 2 step punting only, directional punting and consistency. He has the leg strength and hang time.

And then just be at the right tryout at the right time on a day when he "can't miss". It's tough.

Weaknesses Low­-trajectory punter with a below-average hang time. Allowed three punt return touchdowns over last two seasons. Ball doesn’t come off his foot with consistent boom. Slow snap­-to­punt timing due to his punting style.

Ha, I'm not sure he entirely deserves the blame for these....

Scifres locked up the job.

Love Scifres. Always thought he was the "Tiger Woods of punting." Just on another level than the rest of the field in his prime. Saw a 5.8 hang time in a game. Which is the only time I've ever seen that game or practice.

His leg strength has diminished a bit since his injury. But a great great punter.

Gotcha. Didn't realize he was still struggling. They really must not have liked Waters.

Wake fans know more than professional scouts.....

Don't believe anybody is saying that. Just surprise that some NFL team isn't looking for a punter, and isn't willing to at least give a training camp look at the NCAA all time leading punter. I find it hard to believe that every NFL team has the punter of their dreams- Ray Guy clone, so it is just a little surprising that some team hasn't given him a camp invite.

Don't believe anybody is saying that. Just surprise that some NFL team isn't looking for a punter, and isn't willing to at least give a training camp look at the NCAA all time leading punter. I find it hard to believe that every NFL team has the punter of their dreams- Ray Guy clone, so it is just a little surprising that some team hasn't given him a camp invite.

Listen to SDeacz on Kinal. He knows much of what he speaks to on punting.

Listen to SDeacz on Kinal. He knows much of what he speaks to on punting.

Uh, yeah, SDeacz is the expert here. It seems that NFL punters just stick around for so long that it is hard for young punters to break in to the league.

But he is the all time leading punter in attempts only - that really only means 2 things - 1, he was able to keep his job for 4 years and 2, he played for a bad team that punted a lot. Neither of those things are going to impress the NFL. They want to see hang time, distance and directional control. If he shows them that, he is in.

Back