• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Baseball

Tough loss. Wake was up 8-4 and then fell apart in the 7th (I think) giving up 8 runs.

It's too bad Will Craig couldn't play yesterday or today. That hurt.

Clemson was #3 in RPI coming into the series.

well coach Walter was right, re really do have some bats. To score 13 runs against Clemson the last two days (the same Clemson that virtually shut out South Carolina last Saturday/Sunday) WITHOUT Craig was simply amazing.

Obviously lots of excitement about our baseball team.

We are good enough to not get swept by power 5 conference teams.

Very competitive in the eyes of Wellman and Hatch.

I went over after the Tennis match v. ND. I don't agree all WF sports are like that. Mens' tennis #9, won 4 matches this weekend, two over ACC teams, ND ranked # 38, we won 7-0. Mens' golf is highly ranked and mens' soccer ended at # 5. Field hockey was in top 10 and made NCAA field again. At the baseball game, pitcher was wild, walked two, then a .175 batter came up, I yelled look at the board, which read .175 and this pitcher (we switched pitchers) hit him in the head; there was a wild pitch in there somewhere and a run came home; a single; bases loaded, score was 8-6 with two outs, I think yet another pitcher came in, pop up behind the plate, catcher ran back to handle it and the pitcher came off the mound to try to catch it and dropped the ball which would have ended the inning; I said to my wife now a grand slam and he threw a grandslam, 10-8; a Clemson guy in front of me turned around in his seat, having overheard the remark to my wife, and wondered how I knew and I said I have seen them do this before. Pitcher walked the next batter and the guy in front of me's grandson hit a two run home run--12-8. I thought how can we have such a nice ballpark and still don't have a NCAA team to put in it. We went back over to the tennis courts, Wake beat Morehead State with 3 regular players and 3 substitute players, 7-0--for the weekend: 28-0. Nobody won a game against us in mens' tennis this weekend. Clemson won the baseball series 2-1.

We've faced 1 ACC team. It's far too early to judge the season.

Will Craig is arguably the best hitter in the league and we didn't have him for the 2 losses. Let's see how this plays out...

Let's hope so. But we blew the game today. I really would like to see us get back to the George Greer good years

Let's hope so. But we blew the game today. I really would like to see us get back to the George Greer good years

This is how I feel as well. It's hard to continue to "be patient" with Walter when he hasn't yet been able to bring in enough ACC quality hurlers. Yesterday's train wreck was epic as described above. They likely wouldn't have swept us had they lost Beer or we had Craig. Craig's injury highlights a point I made earlier about him trying to do too much by hitting and pitching. Injury came on pitching to his last batter Friday. Pulled an oblique. Yet, he's our most reliable reliever, so what else do we do?

UVa (our next weekend series in Charlottesville) looks to be a little down this year. Took 2 of 3 in Durham this weekend but didn't put up a lot of runs. Batters likely to be hotter at home. Pitching looks strong. Duke seems to be about where they were last year. But in baseball you never know until the games are played.

Last edited:
I say if we had Craig, we win Saturday...We out hit the Tigers but didn't win...

I went over after the Tennis match v. ND. I don't agree all WF sports are like that. Mens' tennis #9, won 4 matches this weekend, two over ACC teams, ND ranked # 38, we won 7-0. Mens' golf is highly ranked and mens' soccer ended at # 5. Field hockey was in top 10 and made NCAA field again. At the baseball game, pitcher was wild, walked two, then a .175 batter came up, I yelled look at the board, which read .175 and this pitcher (we switched pitchers) hit him in the head; there was a wild pitch in there somewhere and a run came home; a single; bases loaded, score was 8-6 with two outs, I think yet another pitcher came in, pop up behind the plate, catcher ran back to handle it and the pitcher came off the mound to try to catch it and dropped the ball which would have ended the inning; I said to my wife now a grand slam and he threw a grandslam, 10-8; a Clemson guy in front of me turned around in his seat, having overheard the remark to my wife, and wondered how I knew and I said I have seen them do this before. Pitcher walked the next batter and the guy in front of me's grandson hit a two run home run--12-8. I thought how can we have such a nice ballpark and still don't have a NCAA team to put in it. We went back over to the tennis courts, Wake beat Morehead State with 3 regular players and 3 substitute players, 7-0--for the weekend: 28-0. Nobody won a game against us in mens' tennis this weekend. Clemson won the baseball series 2-1.

Well it sounds like you should go watch tennis and stay away from the baseball stadium since you hate it so much...

It would have been nice to have Craig, but it doesn't sound like hitting was the problem.

It would have been nice to have Craig, but it doesn't sound like hitting was the problem.

Craig is WF's best or 2nd best reliever (Craig is the set up guy, and Donnie Sellers is the closer). He has not given up a run in 6 appearances. Had Craig been available, he would have pitched the 7th, and WF would've likely won game #3.

I have to wonder if Craig's injury was due to pitching 2 innings on Friday. I have no idea just speculating. If so, would this discourage using him as a pitcher in the future? He has been lights out and was sorely missed. Was surprised Bartholomew got the ball in relief. He has been excellent as a midweek starter but that's a tough spot. Supple is supposed to have good stuff but can't find the plate right now. Farish seems out of control as well, wild pitch led to a costly run on Sat. Craig-Sellers is a good tandem, without Craig we will struggle unless our starters can go at the very least 6 innings. Let's get the 2 midweek games this week.

Game 2 report on the official site says Craig got the injury while pitching the 2 innings Friday night.

Back