• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Baseball

That Friday game is going to come back to bite us. We really needed a series win.

The Friday game.
The Sunday game vs Clemson.
The Sunday game vs Duke.

Same old same old.

The second game today was shortened to 6 innings due to curfew (which apparently means no inning can start after 5:15 on Sunday)? That sucks.

The second game today was shortened to 6 innings due to curfew (which apparently means no inning can start after 5:15 on Sunday)? That sucks.

We were getting smoked. Down 10-2. I doubt it made a difference

Looking back, one could say we lost the series on the one throwing error by Freeman (IIRC) to 1st and possibly Walter's decision to walk the batter, who eventually scored the winning run from 2nd on the same error. Freeman lost the start in the next 2 games. I don't know the batter's avg whom we walked so it may have made sense. But when Ben isn't great at throwing to 2nd on steals and they would have attempted the steal anyway to try to entice an errant throw to 2nd so the guy on 3rd could tie the game, then the decision does look bad.

Rest of season looking rough, now. May not reach last year's ACC Win total....

If we don't make the ACC Tournament again this year then Walters needs to be let go.

It's pathetic to not even make a conference tournament with presumably what will be a back-to-back ACC POY, and 2x AA.

If you are going to walk the lead batter than why not walk the bases full which would have led to a force at every base.

Some of the coaching decisions continue to be head scratchers.

I agree Chris. Friday's loss is on Walter. If you had walked the bases loaded Freedman could have gone the force. There was no reason to walk the initial batter though. Is Johnstone hurt? Figured he would have started one of the games on Sunday. Also thought it was interesting that Craig threw an inning of scoreless ball on Saturday. Hope they know what they are doing.

I would never ever intentionally walk the bases loaded in a one run game, unless the batter with two on was Barry Bonds and Steven Hawking was on deck. A walk, catcher's interference or HBP ties the game. Also, it puts additional pressure on the pitcher to throw strikes which makes it easier to hit. FWIW, I would never intentionally walk the winning run on base either.

Very fair point Pilchard, especially given our propensity for wild pitches.

If we don't make the ACC Tournament again this year then Walters needs to be let go.

It's pathetic to not even make a conference tournament with presumably what will be a back-to-back ACC POY, and 2x AA.

It's "Walter," not "Walters."

The next three series present a tough stretch for the Deacs for sure, but I checked the records today and perhaps they aren't in as bad of shape as I initially thought. ACC records of teams they've already played is a combined 23-25. The record of ACC teams remaining on their schedule down the stretch is a combined 31-33 (after the UL - VT game finishes tonight).

Weird thing is, the toughest three series are at home: Florida State (7-1), UNC (6-6) and UL (9-3). The road opponents are NC State (5-5), Boston College (3-7) and Virginia Tech (1-11). Not sure if that plays out well for the Deacs or not.

I would never ever intentionally walk the bases loaded in a one run game, unless the batter with two on was Barry Bonds and Steven Hawking was on deck. A walk, catcher's interference or HBP ties the game. Also, it puts additional pressure on the pitcher to throw strikes which makes it easier to hit. FWIW, I would never intentionally walk the winning run on base either.

It was the bottom of the 9th and 2 outs. A guy on first, 3rd runner is of no use to ND, the game is over before he would score, and does potentially help Wake to get a force play and WIN!

Nice job getting rid of the coach the won 3 ACC Championships Wellman. Now we can't even make the ACCT.

Absolutely agree. I doubt that Wellman does anything though. When in doubt I try to determine what "should" be done and then assume Wellman will do the complete opposite.

It's "Walter," not "Walters."

The next three series present a tough stretch for the Deacs for sure, but I checked the records today and perhaps they aren't in as bad of shape as I initially thought. ACC records of teams they've already played is a combined 23-25. The record of ACC teams remaining on their schedule down the stretch is a combined 31-33 (after the UL - VT game finishes tonight).

Weird thing is, the toughest three series are at home: Florida State (7-1), UNC (6-6) and UL (9-3). The road opponents are NC State (5-5), Boston College (3-7) and Virginia Tech (1-11). Not sure if that plays out well for the Deacs or not.

Was on my phone and I guess it autocorrected.

Thanks.

It was the bottom of the 9th and 2 outs. A guy on first, 3rd runner is of no use to ND, the game is over before he would score, and does potentially help Wake to get a force play and WIN!

Bottom 9 2 outs up by one with a runner on third. Walking that guy intentionally put the winning run on base. An extra force out at second was mitigated by him stealing second on the first pitch of the at bat (catcher didn't attempt to throw him out at 2nd because of runner on 3rd). That puts two guys in scoring position, up 1 with 2 outs in the bottom of the ninth. Boneheaded coaching decision. I've never seen anything like that in all the years I've played or watched baseball.

Back